Bottom

HeadlineVH1 Storytellers

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

Stefan  
May-06-2009, 21:51 GMT
Germany

Hi there

Does anyone have the episode with Paul Simon?
Its episode 17 and i guess from 1997.

Thanks

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1276 ]

Ian
May-07-2009, 02:15 GMT
USA - United Staates America

Oh wow,I haven´t seen that! Didn´t he play a selection of Capeman songs?

Stefan
May-07-2009, 02:20 GMT
Germany

Thats all he played :

1. Mrs. Robinson (partial)
2. The Boxer
3. Me And Julio Down By The Schoolyard
4. 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover
5. Graceland
6. Adios Hermanos
7. Bernadette
8. The Vampires
9. Trailways Bus
10. Slip Slidin´ Away

But i never found that Bootleg.

Ian
May-07-2009, 04:46 GMT

Did you actually see the broadcast Stefan? I didn´t,haven´t at the time,or anytime since,but would Love to see/hear it of course.

Paul
May-07-2009, 11:38 GMT
Unknown

There was also an Oprah show where he sang Trailways Bus and 10 years :) Smth else also - a little bit of Graceland..

Ian
May-07-2009, 12:26 GMT

Yes,I have the Oprah one from 1997.

Stefan
May-07-2009, 14:21 GMT
Germany

Iv never seen the whole show but what i did see was a very short snippet of slip slidin away wich i liked.So i looked for it but it seems kinda hard to find.

jocke
May-07-2009, 14:43 GMT
Sweden

Adios Hermanos from story teller was on youtube a while ago. I recall seeing a clip once, years ago when paul played some songs on Oprah

mog
May-07-2009, 17:59 GMT
Canada

Simon was not in his best mood for this Storyteller thing...

Here is an excerpt from a NYTM article published in 1997:

"The things he hates doing: promoting himself, being asked stupid questions and performing live. A few weeks ago, he had the chance to combine all three. His manager, Dan Klores, had persuaded him to film a segment for VH1´s ´´Storytellers´´ series (to be shown Nov. 23), in which a songwriter plays his music and takes questions from the audience. Simon´s performance was, depending on how you view these things, either scathingly honest or just plain scathing. He was quite hilarious, mocking the polite applause that interrupted the first few bars of his Old songs, swatting away questions about Simon and Garfunkel. (´´There´s nothing of any value in it,´´ he said flatly when someone asked about a new Simon and Garfunkel boxed set that includes early rarities.) After a few more dud questions, someone in the back row raised a hand. ´´Ah, the group with the good questions,´´ Simon said. Then a blond woman stood up, identified herself as a singer and said she´d just recorded her first CD. But she was stymied by the music business, and appealed to Simon for advice.

Simon groaned. ´´Are you singing what you want to be singing?´´ he asked. She said she was. ´´So what´s the problem?´´

Later, even Klores scolded Simon for being mean-spirited. ´´Look,´´ Simon told me the next day, ´´I don´t like to hurt people´s feelings. But I was thinking, that´s an inappropriate question. This may be an artificial situation, but it´s certainly not about you and your career. Why should I be focusing on a question that I have no interest in?´´

A thoroughly defensible argument. But why tape a Q. and A. show if you´re not going to make nice with the audience? This is what has some people wondering if Paul Simon has been ´´Paul Simon´´ for so long that there´s not much room for malleability. And building a Broadway musical is all about malleability, and about sharing the load -- with musicians and actors, producers and marketers, a director and a set designer and an orchestrator and, in the case of ´´The Capeman,´´ a co-writer, Derek Walcott, the Nobel-laureate poet. Could Simon possibly learn to make nice with so many others?"

Full story: http://www.stephenjdubner.com/journalism/110997.ht
ml

Stefan
May-07-2009, 18:09 GMT
Germany

Dang that just makes me more curious ^_^

Ian
May-07-2009, 18:35 GMT

Holy bovine! He was in a bad mood! I dislike seeing Paul put in there phony setups myself. Quite frankly,the Oprah show was a little embarrassing to watch too because Paul´s tendency not to suck up to,or play along with the crap that most of Oprah´s guests are expected to. Do You remember when she inferred to Paul and the audience,that she and Paul had had an earlier conversation about something I can´t quite remember at the moment. Paul didn´t play along with saying to Oprah ´No,I don´t remember you ever asking me that´,leaving Winfrey a little stunned and forcing her to male a joke about Paul´s honesty in these situations. For me,it was difficult to watch. The Storyteller thing,while contrived,would be something I thought he might actually enjoy. Listening to his mostage talking on the 84 solo tour,he seemed very at ease talking about his music,and very charming in the process! Odd,really!

Ian
May-07-2009, 18:45 GMT

Mostage??? I apologise for all the spelling and punctuation errors in that last post of mine. It´s 4 in the morning,and I´m crapped out and writing these posts on my mobile phone,and keep forgetting to check on what words my phone´s dictionary has used. The sentence of course should have read ´Paul´s onstage talking´ not ´mostage´ talking.

Scaaty
May-08-2009, 00:35 GMT
Ireland

the rest of that article was fascinating - Paul eating turkey, smoking and drinking beer - he certainly has changed! Seems the problems with the Capeman were more than just the subject matter.

Gerard
May-08-2009, 06:56 GMT
New Zealand

I think this is the storytellers that I have taped on my DVD player (it was on TV here in NZ).

I don´t recall alot of Q & A, so I wonder if that was heavily edited. Certainly was the songs as posted here.

I didn´t think Paul was in an especially bad mood from watching this.

he does joke at the start of Mrs Robinson that he can´t remember the words unless there is clapping at the start.

I must go back and read my Capeman information because I do remember reading an a review of a promtional event that portrayed him as being ungrateful and condescenting.

My take is that was a very stressful time (with the problems of the show, let alone the financial risk). I suspect he doesn´t suffer fools, and why should he?

A bit like the UK interviewer (Anne Nightingale?) back in the 70´s who asked him "was it difficult for him to adjust to writing songs without Artie". Of course he answered "well I wrote the songs not Artie", to which she responded (thinking she had stumbled on some news) - "well I wonder how many people know that?". Paul responded as only he can "I think just about everybody knows that other than you".

I have met and chatted with him once (backstage at a concert). I had the duration of the concert to think about it, but I was worried how it would go and whether it would be satisfying or not. I am pleased to say it was a great opportunity and he was to me and the few others there thoroughly considerate and genuinely engaged in conversation. That was July 2002 so I guess the stress and bad Capeman experience were behind him.

Personally, I Love the Capeman music for what it was, and especially for being the Catalyst for starting to perform live again (1999 through to now), when he had stated publically that he didn´t like performing live and he saw himself as not doing that ever again (that was about 1994/5 from memory).

Ian
May-08-2009, 08:20 GMT

Yeah,that Anne Nightingale incident was very funny,but must´ve been particularly irksome to Paul,when people made that clumsy error. I know that we´re all obsessive fans,and know all these important facts about Paul´s life and career,but I would have thought that even very casual fans know that Paul alone,was the songwriter,not Artie. It´s fundamental to their story,like knowing there were four beatles,not three or five! Gerard,I too,like most Paul Simon fans Love The Capeman music but I wonder how many fans think that Paul acted insensitively by writing a musical based on an incident so relatively recent. Do many of us think that the subject is too repellent for a Broadway musical? I say NO to both questions. I wonder if the relatives of the slain have actually ever read the lyrics to these songs? I don´t think they are in any way,insensitive. As for my second question,I believe it´s not the artists duty to always make us feel comfortable. The subject matter is no more repellent than,say,Les Miserables imo!

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread