Start a new Thread

Bottom

Headline1984 Solo Tour Question.

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Ian
Dec-21-2008, 11:14 GMT
Norway

Hello Everyone,as someone who has never heard any of the existing ´boots´ from Paul´s 12 City Solo Tour,can anyone tell me if Paul only played acoustic guitar,or did he use electric as well at there shows. Secondly,I saw mentioned that at one of the shows,he played a tape of a Midas Muffler commercial,or something. What was that about exactly? Thanking you in advance.

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 589 ]

DannyJ  
Dec-21-2008, 13:55 GMT
United Kingdom

I´m pretty sure he uses acoustic and electric, but he is alone on stage with no backup musicians at all. He told the audiences that because of this he could play what ´he´ wanted.

On the Midas Muffler front, Paul gets out a ghetto blaster that Harper had bought him for his birthday, and tells the audience that he gets lots of tapes sent to him by commercial companies that want to use his music in advertising... generally he doesn´t let them.. this one he thought was funny and wanted to share. The Midas Muffler company had re-written ´Sound of Silence´ for their commercial.

DannyJ  
Dec-21-2008, 17:55 GMT
United Kingdom

My mistake, it was Fathers day... I have upped the track to the link below... There´s a funny father/son story in there too...

http://rapidshare.com/files/175505195/thesoundofmi
das.mp3

Enjoy!

Baylee
Dec-21-2008, 18:11 GMT
USA - United Staates America

Paul discusses this on the David Letterman show-check out YouTube.

Ian
Dec-21-2008, 19:49 GMT
Norway

Thanks DannyJ,Baylee for the info and links.

Klausi
Dec-22-2008, 10:58 GMT
Germany

He definitely played electric guitar. I would say, on most of the songs. He dicovered it for One-trick pony, where a "real" rock musician was needed.

Not folk, but "mainstream rock" like "Ace In The Hole" or the title song. Even "Long, Long Day" is with the black electric one there which he also used on tour in 1980.

In the 1984 concerts, he had to play "Late In The Evening", his last top-ten Hit in the US till today, and sang it live but along a playback tape with the original track.

Ian
Dec-22-2008, 11:16 GMT
Unknown

Thanks Klausi,on the one song I´ve heard so far[One-Trick Pony],it sounds definitely like an electric guitar,with either a chorus or flanger pedal used also. I´m looking for a copy of one of the shows. Can anyone recommend a particular date/night to look out for. I would really Love to hear how he tackles songs like ´Still Crazy´ etc,with just a solo guitar.

DannyJ  
Dec-27-2008, 09:20 GMT
United Kingdom

Here´s the entire show I have, Recorded Live The The Blossom Music Center, Ohio, 1st August, 1984.

http://rapidshare.com/files/177163398/PSAloneBloss
om1984.zip

I´m not sure that the running order is totally correct, but this is the order that was on the ´boot´ I got a few years ago.

Merry Christmas from the UK :-)

Ian
Dec-27-2008, 12:12 GMT
Norway

Wow! DannyJ,you´re a legend! Thanks for that. Wonderful. Merry Christmas from Australia. Can´t wait to listen to it.

Danny C
Dec-27-2008, 19:27 GMT
Unknown

Thank you so much Danny J. Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you as well.

fubel
Dec-30-2008, 02:36 GMT
Germany

Paul played a black Gibson Les Paul. I guess one of the ´Black Beauty´s.

Ian
Dec-30-2008, 11:45 GMT
Norway

Yes Fubel,Paul did play a black Gibson Les Paul during the late 70´s and particularly during the 1980 OTP tour,but at Central Park in ´81,he was playing a Fender Strat,or a Strat copy. During the Graceland tour he played a luminous white Strat shaped electric made by luthier Roger Sadowsky. I think he gave that guitar to Ray Phiri at the conclusion of the Graceland Tour,but what he played during the 1984 tour,I´m not sure.

fubel
Dec-30-2008, 12:37 GMT
Germany

I´m not sure what he played in 84, too, but it sounds like his Les Paul.

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread