Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineThink Too Much(b)

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

Gerard
Dec-12-2008, 01:09 GMT
New Zealand

I still beleive the whole song Hearts & Bones is written before they (Paul & Carrie got married). Therefore it is about their pre-marriage break ups.

I remember reading an interview where Artie is recounting the events - "Paul rings up and tells me I´m erasing your vocals and releasing H & B as a solo album, and by the way I´m getting married to Carrie, do you want to come to the wedding? What a great guy."

I have a bootleg of the album from the stage that it was still going to be Simon & Garfunkel.

I really don´t think this song Hearts & Bones is after the marriage. I beleive that Graceland & Crazy Love are about the demise of the marriage.

Then reading excerpts from Carrie´s autobiography WISHFUL DRINKING (which you can google to find parts reprinted in the news media), she tells that they went back for more punishment after the divorce in the period between Graceland and Rhythm Of The Saints. 12 years of dating and breaking up!

No wonder Hearts & Bones, Graceland & ROTS are at the peak of his songwriting.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 270 ]

Ian
Dec-12-2008, 03:05 GMT
Unknown

Yes Gerard,Hearts And Bones was written in 1982-Paul and Carrie were married August 1983. I mentioned already that the song was a present to Carrie,but I´m not sure about the accuracy of that statement. These dates are often hard to pin down. Another inconsistency is when Paul first heard the ´Gumboots´ cassette that fired up his Love for South African music. He often has said he was given the tape in 1984,but I read a 1987 interview where Paul says that he was already listening to the tape on his Walkman when he was on the Australian/New Zealand leg of the 1983 S&G tour? Who knows?

Klausi
Dec-12-2008, 08:38 GMT
Germany

"The late great Johnny Ace" was written before August 1981.

The album came out in late 1983.

And we know Paul Simon went to an analyst before CP 1981 because he suffered from a writer`s block (in LA I guess).

He was disappointed - the failure of the movie and the poor sales of the album "One-trick pony".

The key sentence for him from this guy was like "It is not yours to judge over, but to write the songs".

And the first song he wrote (or began) then according to this story was "Allergies", still in LA.

Some of the songs were performed live by S&G in 1983, I guess also "Cars Are Cars", really not a great song. His weakest Solo-Song I think. But maybe I think too much.

Gerard
Dec-12-2008, 09:50 GMT
New Zealand

They certainly played Allergies in Wellington, NZ in Feb 1983. I was there.

Belle
Dec-12-2008, 10:16 GMT
Unknown

Hi Ian, what a great analaysis of Paul´s works that you have there, penned in words.."intellectual forays into emotional territory..

Ian
Dec-12-2008, 12:31 GMT
Norway

Hi Gerard,how well do you remember Allergies at the 1983 concert you attended? I saw the show just days before you,in Brisbane. During Allergies,while the band vamped,Paul,very theatrically explained to the audience that he and Richard Tee were actually ´brothers´,but that due to Allergies,he didn´t grow tall,healthy and brown like Richard! Do you remember that? It was very funny! At the concert I saw,they also played ´All I Have To Do Is Dream´,´Rip It Up´ and ´Citizen Of The Planet´ One of the best concerts I´ve ever attended. PS- Thanks Belle,that´s very kind of you to say.

Belle
Dec-15-2008, 05:26 GMT
Unknown

Hi Ian, you´re most welcome!!

Nikki
Dec-15-2008, 12:27 GMT
France

Very interesting discussion, hadn´t thought about the mathematical currents running through the album before but you certainly have a point there Jeroen.
And what a great story about Allergies Ian!

Gerard
Dec-17-2008, 10:17 GMT
New Zealand

Hi Ian, No I was not at the Brisbane concert in 1983. Those were in the years before I learned how to fly. The concert I attended was very close to home in Wellington NZ.
But, yes I do remember we got a variation on the story Paul told about him and Richard Tee being brother and he said that in an earlier life they lived in Wellington. It was such a buzz as it was so unexpected (and nothing like his almost non communicative stage presence of the last 20 years).

And yes they played the medley of covers including Rip It Up, and that was also so unexpected and good fun.

And of course Late In The Evening was a relatively new song and it was a real highlight for the audience (even for those there for the Simon & Garfunkel stuff).

I actual don´t remember Citizens of the Planet (but maybe I just have a bad memory), although the lyrics were printed in large type on the back of the Concert Tour Program.

Great memories, Gerard

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread