Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineThink Too Much(b)

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

Ian
Dec-10-2008, 11:04 GMT
Unknown

Just another Question- On ´Hearts And Bones´,sound effects play a fairly minor,yet memorable part. What are your opinions as to what the ´goat/sheep´ bleats at the beginning of Think Too Much(b) are? What is their significance,and how were they made? I first heard that album in late 1983,when I was 16,and those creepy sounds have mystified me ever since. I´m assuming that they are a sampled sound generated by the Synclavier,but I have no clue what they signify. Maybe it was a comment on the large numbers of the public,who seemed to have a need in the late seventies and early eighties for some sort of analytical help. Maybe he saw these people,including himself,as sheep,following the flock to the nearest therapist/psychologist? That´s clumsy I know,but it´s all I´ve got at the moment:-|

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 868 ]

Klausi
Dec-10-2008, 11:53 GMT
Germany

The sheep maybe are a symbol for the trial of the public to get informations about the unusual marriage with Carry Fisher. Sheep are a symbol for curiosity.

This very simple song and melody is one of my all time favorites.

Ian
Dec-10-2008, 12:21 GMT
Unknown

Yeah Klausi,I agree,beautiful song. 2 chords,haunting melody and big pedaled bass notes on the chorus. The lyrics are powerfully emotive as well. ´And in the night my father came to me,and held me to his chest´etc,was and is,a touching line especially. Great song.

Scaaty
Dec-10-2008, 20:12 GMT
Ireland

Sheep? Curious? I would associate them more with following blindly without any interest in their surroundings. Lambs now that is a different matter. Always felt they were lucky that most of them don´t ever get a chance to become a sheep!

Ell
Dec-10-2008, 20:22 GMT
United Kingdom

One theory Ian, which I happen to agree with, is the sound signifies a child`s talking doll making the sound of `Mamma` when tilted or turned.
Carrie Fisher and Paul lost a baby and I think this is one of the subjects within the song��apart from divorce and therapy.
Can`t say it`s my favourite song on the album.

Ian
Dec-10-2008, 22:21 GMT
Norway

Hi Ell,Talking doll. Could be. Does anyone remember the scene in Planet of the Apes,where Charlton Heston´s character picks up a doll in an excavation site? It did make a very similar sound. Interesting.

DannyJ  
Dec-10-2008, 22:38 GMT
United Kingdom

I am perplexed by the whole of that song... I marvel at the poetry and the fact that I will never understand the true meaning of those lyrics... It´s Paul´s song, so let it be his. Music is personal. Make of it what you will.

Gerard
Dec-11-2008, 11:45 GMT
New Zealand

I think referring to having lost a baby is maybe THinking a bit too much.

I may be wrong but my recollection is that Hearts & Bones was released before they got married and I guess before the misscarriage.

I always find it strange that he wrote Hearts & Bones (song) before he married Carrie Fisher. Sounds more like an after type song. Maybe he should have paid more attention to his own song and not gone down that path.

Bodo
Dec-11-2008, 14:01 GMT
Austria

But H&B is about his first marriage...not the one with Carrie Fisher.

Matthew
Dec-11-2008, 14:19 GMT
United Kingdom

I think Hearts And Bones is about lots of different relationships.

The song Hearts and Bones is definitely about Carrie (One and one half wandering jews).

However Train In The Distance is about Peggy.

Ian
Dec-11-2008, 14:33 GMT
Unknown

I think H&B was about the relationship with Carrie Fisher. They did have a lengthy union,with marriage coming late in the affair. The ´One and One half wandering jews´ was in reference to Paul and Carrie,because Eddie Fisher was Jewish,but not Debbie Reynolds. That´s how I understood it anyway. The song was apparently a present to Fisher. Bodo,maybe the verse ´Looking back through the cracks in the door.../Two people were married...´ etc,is definitely about the marriage to Peggy,as is of course ´Train In The Distance´ I Love H&B -everything about it is perfect,his singing,the melodic and harmoic structure and the recording doesn´t suffer from some of the 80´s sounds found on the other songs on the album. Despite those ´sounds´,the album as a whole is still one of my favourites.

Jeroen
Dec-11-2008, 15:44 GMT
Netherlands

Ian, I believe that The whole song is about his troubled marriage to Carrie Fisher It´s my humble interpretation that he attempts to acquire a rational perspective on the ups and downs and the "acrimonious split". Hence the contrasting hearts (emtion) and bones (rationality). It´s funny the way he sums up their ethnic compositions in numbers (1,5 jews/ compare; When Number Get Seriuos) and mathematically delineates their relationship in an "arc." To me, clear stabs at intellectual thinking about his feelings towards Carrie. Still, he realizes that fusing two hearts has a lasting mark on both, because it "won´t come undone." Hearts And Bones is especially touching in conjunction with Graceland, the completion of the journey. Does this make sense?

Ell
Dec-11-2008, 19:39 GMT
United Kingdom

Paul & Carrie`s marriage and baby loss did occur before the UK release of the `Hearts & Bones` album.
I`m not sure what time scales are involved in completing the album and putting the album out, but granted Gerrard, `Think Too Much B` would have to have been a very late addition to the album to have any link to their loss.
I may have just made that link myself.....without thinking!

nancy
Dec-11-2008, 21:17 GMT
USA - United Staates America

It is 1 and 1/2 wandering jews because Carrie is half jewish. Carrie´s father Eddie Fisher is jewish.

Ian
Dec-12-2008, 00:00 GMT
Unknown

Yes that does make sense Jeroen. It is almost a mini theme running throughout the album. These complex emotions that we all deal with from time to time,must be a continuing source of fodder for a ´thinking´ artist like Paul Simon. What is most striking about these ´intellectual´ forays into emotional territory,is they don´t feel or sound cold or forced. In the hands of a lesser artist,that would almost surely be the case,but Paul goes beyond mere cleverness to give us his always unique perspective.

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread