Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineLyrics Book

Page: [1] [2] [3]

AuthorComment

mog
Nov-18-2008, 15:34 GMT
Canada

What´s going on with this montée de lait ?

Point blank, I am asking the question: What is worst ?

Paying 100$ for a signed book or an artist that releases compilation after compilation, selling big bucks tickets for a reunion tour with his Old partner, and now selling lyrics in a book that most fans have already 25th times ?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 306 ]

Ian
Nov-18-2008, 17:03 GMT
Norway

It´s like the Old rebuke to those who say that there is too much violence and sex on TV. ´No one is forcing u to watch it´. The same for the many compilation albums. ´You don´t have to buy them!´ I think that they may be being used by Paul to fulfil his obligations with Warners,but they also serve the purpose of allowing new and casual fans to buy a retrospective of Paul´s work that includes songs from even his most recent albums. A new fan would be better served buying,for example,the latest career retrospective,´The Essential Paul Simon´ than he/she would would be by buying ´Negotiations And Love Songs´. All Paul Simon fans know that it´s quality,not quantity of new work that interests Paul himself. That´s what I Love about him. I still call ´Surprise´ a new album even though it´s 2 years old. The ´Lyrics´ book is lovely,and long overdue. It´ll be great to have all his lyrics contained in one volume. On almost any occasion,birth,death and most things in between,there´s a relevant PS line or song. Wonderful.

Ans
Nov-18-2008, 17:48 GMT
Netherlands

I´m in the same boat as Ian. I also see these compilations for new fans. I do the same thing by other artists. From some I only like the best songs, so it´s logical to buy a compilation or best of. I only have a few compilations from Paul Simon and S&G, they are very useful in my car. I made my own compilations with songs from the albums that are not his best of, also for in my car...;-)

As a fan it´s your own decision and responsibility what you buy, you don´t need to blame it on the artist.

Nikki
Nov-19-2008, 00:41 GMT
France

Lol Mog you haven´t been too happy with Paul lately at all, have you? For my part I think the accusations are a little unfair. If you listen to read any interview of Paul´s you can tell he´s that type of musician. Like he said at Barnes and Noble one year after SOS he made more than his father did in a lifetime, so I don´t think he exactly feels the need to scam money from his fans. And if income was all that he was after, well he wouldn´t be making albums like Surprise or writing songs like Love in Hard Times would he?

Belle
Nov-19-2008, 01:34 GMT
Unknown

Yeah my book came in yesterday nite fm Amazon!!!

Your lyrcis I immensely anticipate..Each pages flipping intensely..My mind runs faster than my head.
Drowning down yr words..Sittin in the dark wondering..The thoughts you must have had..to conjur the fine pieces in such endless time.
Are the handwritten words..written by you..ARe those manuscripts concoted while you´re drowning booze.
Pictures of you in black & white...Pictures of your achievements...Of your great feat in life & musci..The high notes you have hit.

Belle
Nov-19-2008, 10:32 GMT
Unknown

In the Lyric book, I realised there are 2 different type of handwritten lyrics. Dunno which one is really the one hand written by Paul??

Does anyone know??

mog
Nov-19-2008, 15:13 GMT
Canada

Just to set the record straight...

Surpringly, I do not mind that much the release of the book. If people that are less familiar than us with his work buy it, I think it is helpful, especially to get to know the later work. And who knows...maybe they will be interested then to get the music that goes with it ? I guess that´s part of the move. Also, with the decline in sales of CD´s, that´s another way to present its catalogue, right ? An artistic and a business move.

On the other hand, having bought most of the compilations and boxset in the past as a hard-core fan, I do not think that this book is such a big deal. I did not need this book to enjoy his lyrics...because I have already them in CD booklets (that I have already bought 3 times) !!!

For me, it would have been a great treasure if Paul had given the time to sit down and write some explanations of some songs, but he *did not*.

The handwritten manuscripts are not new...some of this stuff has been posted on his web site in the past.

There are two new songs. Lyrically, I am not impressed, but I reserve my judgement on this one when I hear the actual songs.

Having said that, I do not want to break the fun of others and I will withdraw from commenting further !

Scaaty
Nov-19-2008, 15:19 GMT
Ireland

Ah, don´t do that Mog, while I don´t always agree with your opinions, it is good for a fan to stand back and examine things with a critical eye. I have to admit I always look forward to reading your comments.

Belle
Nov-20-2008, 07:46 GMT
Unknown

Well Mog, that´s individual perception. To me, this book is, a big deal!
Firstly I do not have the so-called his whole set of compilations, some of his songs I have yet the chance to listen to it. So, to me it is rather moving, just by reading the words from the book, one can´t help but in awe of the great maestro.
His songs do not require any explanations, it just derives from his heart & soul. If his words are easily comprehended, it wouldn´t have been Paul Simon.

Gerard
Nov-30-2008, 00:02 GMT
New Zealand

I got my copy of LYRICS in the mail last week. I haven´t had a chance to read through it yet, but to respond to the view that we have all the lyrics on the CDs, from my first flick through what is interesting to me is how well some of the material stands up on it´s own. I think it will be an interesting read even for me who prety much knows most of the lyrics from memory.

I had just read the extract from Carrie Fishers autobiograhy at -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10885
13/Dad-ran-Liz-Taylor-Cary-Grant-lectured-drugs-Ge
orge-Lucas-ruined-life-The-extraordinary-autobiogr
aphy-CARRIE-FISHER.html

Very funny read (in a tragic kind of way). After reading this I just had to open up the book and read the following which are clearly about her - SHE MOVES ON, HEARTS & BONES, GRACELAND, CRAZY LOVE

I did´nt know that their relationship continued on-off after Graceland and up to Rhythm Of The Saints.

Belle
Nov-30-2008, 08:07 GMT
Unknown

Carrie & Paul made a loving couple back then. Its a pity that they´re no longer together. I didn´t knew Paul was 15 yrs older than Carrie, but nonetheless they were compatible.

DannyJ  
Nov-30-2008, 09:17 GMT
United Kingdom

I think the lyrics book is fantastic. To read it as a narrative and to detatch rhyme from the melody opens up a whole new dimension within the peotry for me.

Thank you for the Link Gereard, Paul & Carrie... Hmmmm... It is a shame ´any´ marriage fails, however they both seem to be stronger for it, and Paul spun something quite beautiful from the spoils.

Carrie´s book is now on my Christmas wish list!

Nikki
Nov-30-2008, 16:31 GMT
France

Is Simon & Schuster a really big publisher in the States? Cos I just noticed, both Paul and Carrie´s new books are from that publisher... hmm.

Scaaty
Nov-30-2008, 21:20 GMT
Ireland

I won´t launch into a tirade that a couple made up off two "celebs" is a wonderful thing. But personally I think celebs like siblings shouldn´t be allowed to marry, adopt or even have children together and that childish winge called an autobiography is an excellent example why.

Paul and Edie have wonderful "normal" marriage with 3 absolutely "normal" children. I know this doesn´t quite make interesting reading in "hello" magazine, but to me it makes Paul Simon a better human being as well as being a genius.

Scaaty
Nov-30-2008, 21:24 GMT
Ireland

Oh By the way, I got my book last week. Its very well presented. great introduciton. for Irish fans, its on sale in Eason´s

Page: [1] [2] [3]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread