Bottom

Headline2008 Tour DVD

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Bjoern
Sep-20-2008, 12:11 GMT
Germany

Hi,

does anybody know something about the release of a DVD from the last Tour?

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 468 ]

jocke
Sep-20-2008, 14:44 GMT
Sweden

will it be a DVD of this tour?

Bjoern
Sep-20-2008, 22:56 GMT
Germany

Hi,

I dont´t know, therefore i asked this question. I´ve only read in this forum that they recorded the show in Montreaux.

Nikki
Sep-21-2008, 21:17 GMT
France

I´m pretty sure they were recording in Taormina too. I know the others who were there didn´t notice it, but I´ve read a post from youtube by someone who was at the same concert, and I think they thought they were filming too.

Jozsef
Sep-22-2008, 06:19 GMT
Romania

No, sorry Nikki, we DID notice there were a camera or two, but this does not mean they intend to make a DVD out of this, though - frankly - I wouldn´t mind. Anyway, don´t think could be on the market before Jan-February at the earliest. On the other hand, have no clue what sort of official DVD could be a concert registered with two cameras...

mog
Sep-22-2008, 21:55 GMT
Canada

At this stage of PS career, I do not expect any new DVD from him.

I would be interested in knowing the selling figures of YTO Live in Paris. It might have been a flop.

I guess there is currently no apetite for a Simon dvd.

Anyway, before that, he needs to resolve his hand ballet thing, look more natural on-screen. And a strong album, with some good catchy tunes !

Nikki
Sep-22-2008, 23:58 GMT
France

I´m sorry Jozsef, please don´t take my comment the wrong way. All I meant was that I´m not 100%sure whether they were filming for a DVD because I´ve heard different opinons about it, it wasn´t meant to be negatively directed at you or anyone else.

But well in any case yes a DVD would be nice. There wasn´t much demand around at the YTO stage of his career either and we got one anyway, so you never know. Not sure about the figures though, all I know is that it´s overpriced in Australia, like usually $30.

mog
Sep-23-2008, 00:08 GMT
Canada

I think there was one DVD for YTO because at the time, they probably wanted to get PS career back on track.

I would bet that at that point many people thought that The Capeman disaster was just an accident in PS career.

The efforts put after the release of YTO were probably intended to recover his name as a popular artist. Live in Paris was recorded less than 1 month after the album´s release. They did not know what they now know, which is that The Capeman was not an accident and that it actually began a cycle in which Simon lost mass acceptance.

A long story to say that I do not expect any DVD anytime soon from PS.

Although, the BBC session was kind of a Surprise Tour DVD.

Also, do not get me wrong : Live in Paris is a wonderful music DVD, although Paul´s affected gesture made it kind of painful to watch at times.

Jon
Sep-23-2008, 07:20 GMT
USA - United Staates America

If they wanted to use the YTO DVD to get Paul back in the public eye, then it should have been handled better.

No store in my city carries it (Circut City, Best Buy, Barnes and Noble, etc) I had to order it on Amazon.

they do all, however, have Old Friends DVD, Central PArk ´81, and the African Concert. They all (Old Friends espeically, from what the woman I spoke to said) sell very well. Your´re the one was nominated for album of the year, if it were accually in stores then maybe people would purcahse it

Jon
Sep-23-2008, 07:24 GMT
USA - United Staates America

also there´s no way you will get a DVD from this tour. i dont´ really know why you would want one...the setlists have been short and, to the mass audience, unappealing....too many obscure songs such as teacher, cool cool river, How Can You Live In The Northeast, and That Was Your Mother.

one of those is okay, but Nobody outside of this website would buy a dvd with that setlist. replace those songs with: Mother And Child Reunion, Homeward Bound, America, obvious child, and Loves Me Like A Rock and you would get some intrest from the average fan...they would want to hear how the songs had evolved over the years, that is why the sg Concert In The Park and the Old Friends dvd is so popular

Klausi
Sep-23-2008, 08:03 GMT
Germany

The DVD 2000 Paris was taped over three days, using two regular sold out concerts, even cancelling the third concert for the finetuning with an audience of maybe 100 people.

The setlist shows many songs performed in 2008.

I would like a DVD with f.e. Duncan and Slip` sliding away, but see no chance.

Astonishing why the CP 91 concert still is not released. It is completely ready, polished for the record and Laser Disc, so a release would be very cheap.

mog
Sep-23-2008, 14:14 GMT
Canada

Good points were made...but something has escaped us...

I mean...if Old Friends and S&G 81 are still good sellers is because, for various reasons, the S&G brand name is still so strong. Art and Paul can announce another oldie tour tomorrow and they would sell arenas.

I understand that the Graceland Concert received the DVD treatment. Graceland is a landmark-record.

Af for the 91 Concert In The Park, I am afraid outside of us, almost Nobody would be interested in getting it. Also, if I remember correctly, the CD was a selling disapointment.

But good point about the YTO DVD: it was indeed a pain in the butt trying to get it in Canada.

Scaaty
Sep-23-2008, 14:49 GMT
Ireland

Yet, they rereleased the PS songbook after 40 years, the existence of which was (& probably still is) unknown to anyone outside hard core Paul Simon fans.

Bodo
Sep-23-2008, 15:06 GMT
Austria

My 10 Cents:

They are filming nearly all shows. I did not know that until the drummer from the 2001 tour told me so (they even watch the shows later on the tour bus). I saw someone from the crew filming in Berlin 2002 too.
This was no professional equipment they used.

Anyway - In 2000 it was clear that the Paris concert will be released and filmed - BEFORE the show. This year nothing has been said. So, I am very sure that no show will be released in the near future. From this documentation (icons) in 2006 we also could see that one of the shows has been filmed with professional equipment. Maybe one day they will release this one?

Whatever. The production of a DVD costs more than a Paul Simon DVD will bring in - thats what I think.
We should be happy with the BBC 2006 show, it is in perfect quality.

Gerard
Sep-24-2008, 02:13 GMT
New Zealand

Yes, but why not the whole concert. They left out some of the best songs (as compared to say the Tower live radio broadcast of the whole concert).

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread