Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineSeven Psalms: Initial Reaction

Page: [1] [2] [3]

AuthorComment

Jay
May-20-2023, 16:06 GMT
USA - United Staates America

Glad to hear you’re enjoying it Mog! I’m blown away each time I hear it, cause each time it reveals a little more of itself and gets better and better. I wonder if Bodo enjoyed it? He’s the reason we have this platform to discuss these things. I also wonder what Pelle thinks if he still posts here. It’s been some years since I’ve been a regular contributor haha

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1081 ]

Bodo
May-23-2023, 08:23 GMT

Thanks for asking Jay,
I loved it from the first moment.

Thats different to all the albums he released in the last 20 years, where I had to get used to first. And honestly, I am not a big fan of Stranger to Stranger (some songs there I have to skip, they are stressfull)

This album is perfect.
Yes, its a travel trough his whole career, I heard the "easter eggs" immediately, which makes it a joy to listen too. I wonder for what reason he did that, some journalist should ask (but they barely come up with the good questions or knowledge)

But again, Its a beautiful and calm album, wonderful warm sounds, such beautiful lyrics. Of course there is no hit single, and the time when Paul wrote his last upbeat smash hit seems to be gone.

I am surprised some people have to listen more times to like it. I was reading many reviews (just 2-3 sentencers) before I could first listen, and I had very low expectations. Everyone seemed to think they do not like it, or had to listen like 10 times and say "it will grow on you".
I liked it the first time I found the time to listen to it.
I like the idea that you have to play all 33 minutes.
I like that you can not move forward.
You need to sit down and listen.

Now I am going to buy a new stereo system so I can enjo this more. Its the first time I bought an LP since 1991 BTW
I bought both, CD, LP and got the digital rip from amazon too.

Back to the roots.

Oh -
I was not able to listen to it immediately because of work and I need a relaxed moment. I knew I could not slip into every single song, listen 10 seconds and skip it. You will need at least your 33 minutes. Clever Paul.

[Like] 2 Jay, Lara Jay, Lara
[Reply] - [Readers: 898 ]

Megma
May-23-2023, 14:28 GMT

Hi everybody, so Seven Psalms took me longer than usual "to get". After about 5 listens I was enjoying it more. Now I'm at about 12 listens and I really like and appreciate it, pretty much at the level of other recent albums.

I would describe the overall sound as similar to his song Amulet, but with words and melody overtop. And of course with the addition of all of those wonderful sound/texture/yMusic accoutrements. I love how Paul took a very creative approach to everything here, he really did make something different.

I think the main issue I had with the record initially was that his vocals are frequently right on top of some very sophisticated guitar figures, it was like information overload, I couldn't really "hear" the lyrics. Also, he frequently begins to shape a beautiful vocal melody, and then tapers into a melancholy sound, seeming to lose momentum. This stop/start took some getting used to.

Things I really like; his voice sounds very good. The acoustic guitar work is so wonderful, it's like a culmination of a style he has been developing over his lifetime. And we can hear many guitar figures/riffs from the past, and many, many new, all intertwined. At some point I will definitely focus my ear to just listen to the guitar, just to revel and marvel in it. And the whole thing is recorded so well, I love that his voice is up front and center, and for the most part without the echo effect which I felt was a little overused on In the Blue Light.

In my professional opinion (jk) think there is an opportunity for a couple of singles here:

- My Professional Opinion (maybe my fav song on the record)
- The Sacred Harp/The Lord #3 (as a medley)

I'd love to hear the above get radio play (maybe on adult contemporary, or Idie Rock stations?). But I know this is not the plan, however I believe that some stations have played the record in full.

And now I am excited to hear Paul maybe already writing again, with Gadd, Stewart, and Kumalo visiting recently, one can only hope more recordings are yet to come. Even if he just put out a song or two, I would personally love to hear what the above group of musicians would come up with, at this point. But I'm getting ahead of myself, still lots to enjoy and explore on Seven Psalms.

[Like] 1 Jay Jay
[Reply] - [Readers: 867 ]

Megma
May-23-2023, 14:38 GMT

What are the 'Easter eggs' that you guys are hearing? One thing I picked up on is that the 3rd Waaaiiiit in the song, Wait, sounds and awful lot like a young Art Garfunkel.

[Like] 1 Jay Jay
[Reply] - [Readers: 864 ]

mog
May-23-2023, 20:01 GMT

Record and concept are like nothing he released in the past, but...

I found echoes of his writing style since his acoustic version of Love and Hard Times more than 10 years ago. A bit of Insomniac Lullaby too, and the Harry Partch instrumentation was a big part of Stranger to Stranger.

I do not agree with you Bodo about him writing hits. No, there has not been any You Can Call Me Al lately, but he has done some catchy tunes since the 2000's. Paul still 'has it'. It is just tastes in music have changed, and it is quite unlikely that someone in his 70's or 80's would have a hit. I think the oldest artist to have a smash hit was Cher, and she was in her 50's.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 832 ]

Megma
May-23-2023, 23:37 GMT

Mog, I agree with you, I think every album up until this one has had great, upbeat, catchy songs; Old, Outrageous, Rewrite, Cool Papa Bell. In fact, I think Cool Papa Bell is one of the best recordings he has ever made. But as you say, tastes have changed. And this new album is obviously much more mellow, but The Lord #3 certainly rocks out powerfully at the end.

Bodo, a suggestion, make sure to get a stereo system with a good, dedicated subwoofer. This record has a few moments of excellent, strong, thundering low notes -- Paul really got it right imo, he adds powerful impact at the right times, which for me, adds an emotional impact.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 810 ]

Bodo
May-24-2023, 08:17 GMT

Mog, I meant: There can not he a hit and Paul even does not want one, as the song is 33 minutes long.
But also before that he gave uo writing to please the average audience or the people who are not fans. The last time he tried to write a hit was Father and daughter in my opinion (where it was meant to be a hit single, catchy , easy , charting)

And this time he does not even want to have his songs played on the radio. He tricks them. He does not even give reviewers a vhance to pick a bad song ... he gives them a hard time, if you want to review it you need to sit down for 33 minutes. Thats pretty cool .

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 793 ]

mog
May-24-2023, 14:09 GMT

Got it, Bodo!

I listened to the new record again in the trafic this morning, and I thought that it has even sources back to Surprise.

I mean let's face it: since that record, Paul has been providing a squeleton of songs, either from scratch or reacting to a beat, and then, he kind of put textures on with additional sounds or exotic instrumentation.

SBOSW and StS were kind of the same technique.

About hits, it is true that listening to Seven Psalms, I thought 'Common Paul! Aren't you able to come up with something simple with strumming like 'Loves Me Like A Rock'?'.

But I think that that stuff bores him, and he prefers more intricate and idisyncratic stuff.

As for radio play, does it still matter? Have you ever seen someone 30 years oy younger listening to...radio?!

Plus, Paul would almost never play in mainstream stations nowadays. He has not since ROTS.

I see the new record has a gift to his audience and fans, which have more refined taste. I do not think it has any appeal beyond that. Since it is religious, it will also attract a secondary audience in Christian bases, but not more than that.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 778 ]

mog
May-29-2023, 14:58 GMT

Really love the new album!

A masterpiece. But for us fans!

I have continued listening to it. It is so short that it is easy to listen to it in one piece. I go for grocery, and I can listen to it in the car while going there, etc.

Unlike The Clash's Sandinista!, if you see what I mean ;-)

Paul is certainly mentionning doubts about beliefs, but not that strongly. I mean it is more an exercice than a real questioning. With the first track 'The Lord', the tone is set! He has already taken a side, obviously.

We all know that he believes in God, but not necessarily with the organized religions out there.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 676 ]

mog
May-29-2023, 15:00 GMT

Forgot to mention that he loses me a little toward the end, with the hitchinkers stuff. I am still scratching my head about that part.

But gosh...Edie's singing is so awesome in that part.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 675 ]

Megma
May-29-2023, 18:44 GMT

Mog, this is my interpretation of The Sacred Harp..
The hitchhikers (the woman and the boy) are perhaps souls who have come down from heaven. They really were "mowed down", back in their hometown. After picking them up, while driving in the truck, the woman delivers the magic of the "secret chord" to Paul. And in that moment in the song, a bit a magic is actually achieved as we get a stunning, transcendent melody, vocals and harmony from Paul and Edie. So I think this song is a surreal story about finding the magic. The secret chord, from God's imagination.

The sacred harp
That David played to make his
Songs of praise
We long to hear those strings
That set his heart ablaze

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 662 ]

mog
May-30-2023, 18:51 GMT

Thanks!!! You are far more smarter than me Megma.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 616 ]

Megma
Jun-01-2023, 15:30 GMT

Thanks, Mog.

You may very well be smarter than me. That is just my preferred interpretation. I have another interpretation that takes the song more literally, it assumes the hitchikers are real people, who as it turns out are on the same quest as Paul -- searching for the magic chord, or more broadly, God. Maybe to use a Paul Simon line, they are looking for Proof of Love.

I like my original interpretation better.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 579 ]

Rob
Jul-13-2023, 10:43 GMT

I got the album quite late as my wife ordered it for my birthday from the US together with a PS shirt and Cap, and she said I should only listen to it after officially receiving the package for my birthday! That was a good idea, sitting with the lyrics from the vinyl album and reading along to the music the first time! I really enjoy it after listening to it for a few weeks now. Your forgiveness is my favourite, and the sentence 'all of lifes abundance in a drop of condensation' breaks my heart every time. But that is my personal interpretation anyway.
Sound is much better from the vinyl on my stereo, than on spotify by the way..
The album has met all of my expectations, and beyond!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 392 ]

Erwin
Jul-15-2023, 15:35 GMT

https://deadline.com/2023/07/alex-gibney-paul-simo
n-documentary-in-restless-dreams-the-music-of-paul
-simon-1235433688/

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 347 ]

Page: [1] [2] [3]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread