Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineVancouver

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4] ... [6] [7]

AuthorComment

Erwin
May-18-2018, 23:59 GMT
Netherlands

Another review with very nice foto's. He is using a big screen behind the stage. https://http://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/17/arts/mus
ic/paul-simon-farewell-tour-review.html

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 775 ]

Erwin
May-19-2018, 08:47 GMT
Netherlands

Kodachrome in and Graceland out. Only change in the setlist for the second concert.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 737 ]

Matthew
May-19-2018, 09:36 GMT
United Kingdom

Graceland is still in, Kodachrome swapped in for Mystery Train

[Like] 1 Håkan Håkan
[Reply] - [Readers: 726 ]

Bodo
May-20-2018, 01:35 GMT
USA - United Staates America

Thats good.

[Like] 1 Håkan Håkan
[Reply] - [Readers: 623 ]

Bodo
May-20-2018, 01:56 GMT

Time to kick out
Boy
That was your mother
Me and julio
Rewrite
Dazzling
Mother and child
50 ways
Late in the evening
Questions (come on that is never a 2nd last encore, it is just not a hit)

Bring in those songs:

Learn how too fall
How the heart approaches
Hurricane eye
Born at the right time
Peace like a river
Bernadette
Trailways bus
Cool papa bell
Gone at last
Another galaxy
Darling lorraine
Old...older than god

This man has 250 songs to choose from and he is playing 40 of them.
But why?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 619 ]

Erwin
May-20-2018, 08:16 GMT
Netherlands

He keeps on changing a little bit. Wristband and feelin groovy in the set.
https://http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-simon/2
018/moda-center-portland-or-3edd9e3.html

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 596 ]

Matthew
May-20-2018, 08:56 GMT
United Kingdom

Would love to see some of those songs performed live Bodo but I don't think it will happen :-(

From last night's show in Portland I would swap

Rewrite for Hearts & Bones
El Condor Pasa for Duncan
Questions for the Angels for Cecelia
Spirit Voices for Father & Daughter
and add Loves Me Like a Rock

and it's already a more 'Greatest Hits' show

America
50 Ways to Leaver Your Lover
The Boy in the Bubble
Dazzling Blue
That Was Your Mother
Hearts & Bones
Mother & Child Reunion
Me & Julio
Rene & Georgette Magritte..
Can't Run But
Wristband
Spirit Voices
Father & Daughter
The Obvious Child
Duncan
Cool Cool River
Feelin' Groovy
Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes
You Can Call Me Al

Kodachrome
Loves Me Like a Rock
Mrs Robinson
Still Crazy

Homeward Bound
Graceland
Cecelia
Late in the Evening

The Boxer
Sound of Silence

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 590 ]

Erwin
May-20-2018, 12:19 GMT
Netherlands

I like can't run but. Already a good video of that song on youtube. I would love to see Born at the right Time in the setlist..... Perhaps it turns up at this tour but i doubt it.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 557 ]

Klausi
May-20-2018, 12:34 GMT
Germany

We should be grateful for this tour, and what he sings is his personal choice.

He doesn`t have 250 good songs to perform, maybe about 170, about 3 per year in 55 years.

Nice to see how different personal choices are.

That`s why he is probably the most forgotten musician amongst the really great and successful songwriters between the 5 years he needs to put out 10 new very different songs and release an album.

With "Stranger..."he reached Nr. 1 in the UK and 3 in the US and I hope he will continue to write songs and put out another one, touring with 80 years is probably not very pleasing.

By the way, he performed Rene and... in his 1984 tour without a band and at the lowest point of his career. Let`s be glad he is still alive and reached new popularity with Graceland and ROTS!

And somehow he remains a Stranger in today`s pop business.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 555 ]

Bodo
May-20-2018, 17:40 GMT

New version cant run but
https://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELuug7gngkg

Good or bad?

(it seems I am unable to start new threads..funny funny who else?)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 513 ]

Bodo
May-20-2018, 18:24 GMT

Well Ans, those are peoples opinions and general feelings. Should we/I delete negative opinions now? To make others happy?

I am afraid someday that concept will be installed into our society.

I see you prefer facebook, because (nearly) everyone there just gives positive comments about Paul Simon. True?
I will explain - in a simple way - the psychological concept of facebook:

Facebook is a place where negative opinions are not "valued" (allowed yes, valued no), it is the "LIKE" world. Posting something "nice" will lead to a number of positive responses by other people, your brain feels valued there for your positive posting, and later your brain even feels bad if you post something and you do not earn any response.
After some time you are trained to give only positive responses.
Why? Cause everyone else there can see:
Oh see, Bodo, he posted a comment, but got 0 Likes. I must do better than him. You will feel like you do not belong to the group if your posting is ignored.

This concept is easely understandable and builds up on idea: Facebook does not want you to leave their website, happy people stay longer on websites. End.

What are they doing? They will start filtering negative things for you.
And still thats okay, if you just want to hear 1 side of the story in your life. And you are happy there.

On Facebook everyone loves whatever Paul Simon does. Is that real? And even if people do not like it, they simply do not write it down, cause they will not receive positive feedback for disliking something.

Furthermore: If I make bad comments on facebook and you simply ignore them (no like, just scroll over), facebook will learn that (they record EVERY click/view/second) and FB simply DOES NOT SHOW those comments to you (it will learn that you do not follow "Bodo" and starts to show you less, so you are happy).

So anyway, it is up to everyone to be in the filtered facebook world, or to check back sometimes if there are other opinions around. I do both.
Yes, I am surprised about more negative comments here than on facebook. It is a group thing again. And it also has to do with the fact that people do not want to stand-in for their opinion (give feedback if others disagree). So we split into 2 worlds. Ok.

BTW: This is a LIVE example, If I simply scroll down the FB page (AMPS) and just read the comments (and there are only 2 filtered comments shown each time, even if there are 11 comments), I do not see any in deept discussion. It is just like: Brilliant, Love the new version. Absolute magic, Excellent Love it, Great song, Thank you, he looks great, What a great memory..., so wonderful, wow, another great one, Thanks, Great Photo
Isn't that very one-sided or boring after some time?

On the other hand, I do also see (if I open up comments sections), that there are people who disagree with the setlist. (I will not name them now), The people do not earn likes for that. Sure they will stop spreading their negative feelings soon ;-)

Oh, and all in all - the longer a comment, there is a lower chance to collect a like for it. Simply too long and complex to say LIKE. Could cause problems if the long comment includes a negative-side statement.

Happy bubbling ;-)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 500 ]

Bodo
May-20-2018, 18:26 GMT

To summ it up: This website (paul-simon.info), is not clever enough to filter things out and make the world a happy-peppy place.

[Like] 2 Lara, Scaaty Lara, Scaaty
[Reply] - [Readers: 498 ]

Scaaty
May-21-2018, 01:39 GMT
Unknown

It’s a given that posters on this site have a lot of positivity towards any new tour/album/book by Paul Simon but this would all sound repetitive - but the few negative responses will be more varied and therefore make more interesting reading. It’s like in a family where you can always rely on hearing honest criticism but always know they behind you all the way!!
I distrtust Facebook, even subscribing to the Paul Simon site, I see more non relevant information than I need. Facebook has sent postings in my name without telling me. False accusations can be posted on Facebook resulting in people having to close businesses etc & and all Facebook will say - if you don’t like their comments ‘unfriend’ Them !!! As if being unfriended is the worst thing you do to someone !!

[Like] 1 Lara Lara
[Reply] - [Readers: 439 ]

Bodo
May-21-2018, 02:49 GMT

I do not see much negativity.
There are fans who are unhappy that there was not much change in the setlist. And some are unhappy that he does only northern Europe. Understandable in my opinion. Somehow we had the expectation of re-recorded songs album, older songs he loves, and easier songs to play live...so I thought he might promote that album and those songs he thinks are real gems that are undiscovered. But not more than 2 new songs came.

When he released Gracleand he played the whole thing.
When ROTS, he played nearly all songs.
YTO he played 6-7 songs from it.

But since that time, he stopped experimenting with new material.
Now when this tour started he played only 1 song that is not older than 25 years. Thats a little bit sad.

[Like] 1 Håkan Håkan
[Reply] - [Readers: 1215 ]

Bodo
May-21-2018, 02:52 GMT

But I am really happy that now some other songs are added, and he even plays 27 now...thats a lot!

All the latest changes are nice, Feelin Groovy I have never heard live-solo, Kodachrome has not been played for a long time. Thats great.

[Like] 1 Ans Ans
[Reply] - [Readers: 1212 ]

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4] ... [6] [7]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread