www.paul-simon.info 
The neck of my Guitar

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineNew live recordings - all those bootlegs on Amazon!

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Bodo  
Feb-02-2017, 11:03 GMT
Austria

Do not get fooled by those new "Paul Simn live" recordings appearing on amazon.com !

People think because it is on AMAZON it must be real or legal.
It is NOT! Those are simply the bootleg downloads from thetradersden.org or dimeadozen.org

1 on 1

You think they look so real, they are printed in mass of thousands, they have a Label or an official EAN code? They must be real?

Even fans here or on facebook write they must be!?

The answer is sometimes simple: Amazon or some other company connected to Amazon does create those AUDIO CDs on DEMAND. That means, they press the CD and print the cover AFTER you click on ORDER, they do that in less than an hour and ship on the same day (PRIME!)

One of their services is called createspace.com (try it out, take a look at the website, it offers books, audio CDs and DVDs made on demand)
Every person (you do not need to be a company, even individuals!) can sign up there, upload a text, a movie or audio files, upload a cover and simply click on "thats my own stuff, I own it".
The company will print the book, burn a real DVD or CD. Amazon is unable to check any copyright on those audio files, simply because bootlegs are not in any sample book of copyrighted material. Where are they going to check it? Oh wait...they could have a list of known artists like "Paul Simon" to check. But they don't do that, too much work. And your private CD might just be named: My own love songs about my brothers Paul and Simon"

If you buy that CDs, amazon will earn 50%, the seller (uploader) will earn 50%.
But you receive a bootleg pressed on CD you could also have for free as a download. The real crazy thing is that this is prospering in the USA because there it is highly risky and illegal to download stuff like a bootleg (but in most European countries it is not illegal). So people are afraid of the download and order the illegal stuff from amazon.com -> not knowing someone earns a lot of money on that thing. Crazy? I think so.

Amazon will not start any legal actions against the uploaders. If they find out that some illegal stuff is there (someone from the record company has to contact them) they will only stop printing this product. They might close an account if too many products are deprecated, but these uploaders would never user their real name and royalties might go to some online bank account abroad.

And do not get fooled about the MANY 3th part sellers appearing to have that title too (even used). Those are all just RE-SELLERS of the same stuff. This sounds crazy, but those re-sellers do nothing else than taking the amazon order, forward it to that same amazon company and earn a few cents commission. They are just there to make the market look bigger. If you google a product and it just appears on amazon.com this might look strange, but as there are hundreds of re-sellers it looks like a wide available product. It is the worst of the whole thing, because they do nothing than creating automatic websites and earn commission if some customer is stupid enough to not use amazon. So just because it appears on hundreds of websites this means nothing. 80% of the internet is copy-paste and re-mixed by robots.

Why I know that? I am using createspace to sell our own books. It is nothing illegal - it is just a print-on-demand service I use for books (this is called self-publishing). Most buyers think these books come from a bookshelf and are printed in mass.

Amazons control mechanism in that case (bootlegs) is a joke and this service can be abused by anyone. If I upload a new book they simply do a web-search for some text parts. Thats it.

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1323 ]

Brenda
Feb-03-2017, 00:39 GMT
Australia

Thank you so much for researching and clearing that up Bodo. It is true that people are easily fooled.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1256 ]

Håkan  
Feb-03-2017, 15:04 GMT
USA - United Staates America

On the other hand, you don't know if they are legit or not?

I have no knowledge if they are or not (I'm talking about the two that we have discussed earlier). I just say it is possible that they have the rights to the material.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1219 ]

Bodo
Feb-03-2017, 18:30 GMT
Austria

If you have the rights to the material, then there is no need to release it as a bad 3th generation copy. You would have access to the original. It is usually very easy to recognize the real and official releases that are not by Paul Simons own recording company (like the 2011 DVD or Paul Simon and Friends DVD). But stuff that is widely known to be a bootleg recording since 20 to 40 years and now appearing in the same quality on amazon - the chances are really zero that this is a legal release - that is only a hypothetical question then (why should someone for example buy those rights, and not the rights for a really unreleased live show that they could make much more profit with).

And for the MTV unplugged recording we know that Paul Simon did not allow it to be released because he did not like the outcome. So how might someone be able to obtain those rights then?

It is a widely known fact that bootlegs are sold on amazon btw., many artists are affected - and in most cases amazon does nothing.

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.ph
p/9443-Amazon-selling-bootlegs

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2013/08/29/bootleg
s/

https://http://www.amazon.com/forum/beatles?_encod
ing=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3060LEVBVY9LN&cdThread=
Tx8UCT2DWR9B7D

http://teamrock.com/news/2016-11-03/almost-25-of-c
ds-sold-on-amazon-could-be-counterfeit

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 1206 ]

Håkan
Feb-04-2017, 11:13 GMT
Sweden

You are probably right about conclusions Bodo.
Anyway, I ordered the 2-CD Unplugged yesterday since I want to have it (I have an earlier 1-CD edition). I don't feel so bad about it, not ginving my money to Paul, since I have (over)paid for the same material again and again or 35 years.

I also noted there is a "new" S&G CD from Amsterdam 1970 being released soon. I have another bootleg already, but the songs on it are not exactly the same, and the order of the songs are also different...

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1148 ]

Feb-04-2017, 16:25 GMT
Netherlands

The so called CD-bootleg coming from Amsterdam (a concert I attented) is still to be downloaded on Dime. And otherwise you can frab it on Guitars 101 . This concert seems to be one of the most famous from the entire S&G career.A radio stream from Holland is also still available.

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 1123 ]

Feb-04-2017, 16:32 GMT
Netherlands

Bodo: you are talking about Amazon but also other selling markets are selling a Paul Simon bootleg coming from the concert he gave in Tokyo 1991. I have pictures of these two same bootlegs maybe it is enough only mentioning their names.

Really absurd prices are asked by these sellers: I saw an amount of BP 18,99 for one of this bootlegs! Titles

She Moves On: this one came out in august 2016 (has nothting to do with Carrie Fishers passing away)';

"Kodachrome" at the Tokyo Dome is the other title for the same concert for the ROTS-tour! This one is not to be found on Dime and regarding Guitars 101 I am not sure but maybe. Just try!

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 1122 ]

Bodo
Feb-05-2017, 10:00 GMT
Austria

When available on "amazon" people think it is a official release.

Other markets: As I mentioned, these are "3th part distributions". (When I sell my books, they are immediately available on 30+ webshops, the are available on amazon and by 2-3 sellers on amazon marketplace (other sellers). It looks like a big thing - while actually it is not even printed.

Dime has always a very short life-cycle, if no one downloads the bootleg disappears, but I think you can request new uploads somewhere.

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 1055 ]

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread