Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineSeriously...

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

AuthorComment

Ans
Sep-20-2014, 16:17 GMT
Netherlands

I don't think Paul will ever do what Art does now. I think when he looses his ability to play and/or sing he will retire.

If you look at Paul's performing career you can see he likes to play with other musicians and does not always find the inspriration to make a tour where he is the only act. FE he loved playing with other musicians at BAM, liked it to be joined by the Punch Brothers on another tour. Loved to play with the Jesse Dixon Singers, Toots Thielemans and so on.

So maybe keeping his name big and earn more money is a part of it but finding the inspiration to tour your whole solo career alone with your band is AFAICS not his cup of tea.

[Like] 2 Bodo, Brenda Bodo, Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 625 ]

Bodo
Sep-20-2014, 17:10 GMT
Austria

There was a TV advertisement on our national TV just now for the Sting-Simon concert. Well calculated ;-)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 623 ]

Bodo
Sep-20-2014, 17:18 GMT
Austria

So Ans, you like it if many fans say the move on? hm :-( I see most fans from Fance will not go, I will not, Mimi hasn't decided yet. Thats what made me really surprise, cause I guess Pauls intention was to have more fans when doing that.

Life is not as expensive as tickets. Ticket prices increased by 500% in 10-15 years. So if life gets more expensive, I save on these things. I am willing to pay a fair price, I am not willing to pay any number that comes into someones mind. Why don't they charge 1000 Euros? Or 5000 Euros? Will you go if you have that money?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 622 ]

Ans
Sep-20-2014, 19:12 GMT
Netherlands

No, I don't like it if fans go, I understand that there are complaints about the ticket prices, I was referring to the fact that people don't like it that Paul does a tour with Sting.

Everyone has to draw the line for him or herself what they want to pay for a ticket, that is just what I said, we have a choice and can save on a ticket, many people don't have that choice so we have a luxury problem.

I don't think I pay far too much for my ticket €125 for 2 headlining musicians with a great band and playing for 3 hours. I don't think Sting & Paul have a lot of influence on the ticket price because they are different in each country. It also has to do with subvention from a government or a deal from a promoter. In our country they cut on the subvention and ticket prices increased quite a bit.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 619 ]

Brenda
Sep-20-2014, 19:34 GMT
Australia

I am more than happy to pay the ticket price for the shows. Worth every cent for me Fantastic reviews of the shows in the US and filled arenas. Awesome for Paul at this stage of his career.The experiment was a great success. the bands loved it. Andy Snitzer posted it was the best tour he was ever on. And of course Paul wants to play to big crowds. Why Wouldn't he? But if some fans do not wan to go for various reasons that is ok. Just asking would some of you be happy if the tour had been a failure?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 617 ]

Bodo
Sep-20-2014, 20:30 GMT
Austria

The shows are always fantastic, we are fans Brenda ;-) Paul Simon could sit there with a guitar alone, no microphone, just warming up his voice - and the show would be the most fantastic ever for us (it would definately be for me)

I did some research now about all those high ticket prices...what is going on around and so.

I think the question is not if the tour is a failure (in what categorie, money or music btw?) - thats not my point.
It is more a question if you personally feel robbed or not. I feel so. And I see that the musicians in that category today show absolute no responsibility, they just take as much as is possible, and if there is more money, they take more. They are acting like wall street managers now. That has nothing to do with music anymore. And: the musicians even have no idea what they are worth! They are more than clueless about their own price tag. Examples?

PROOF 1:
Example of a failure:
Rolling Stones tickets asked for 600 USD for their tickets, in the end the price went down to even 85USD
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/may/04/rolli
ng-stones-face-pay-cut-ticket-prices-slashed

PROOF 2
Example for no responsibility and absolute squeezing out the last cent of their fans - and an example of that this person lives in another world (I would never spend 300 USD for a handbag..ups I am not a Madonna fan, anyway...13 year old girls are Madonna fans):
Madonna: First saying:
"Start saving your pennies now. People spend $300 on crazy things all the time, things like handbags. So work all year, scrape the money together, and come to my show. I'm worth it."
Then the answer to Madonna is:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/mad
onna-ticket-prices-slashed-for-vancouver-gigs-1.12

No tickets sold, price has to reduced by 50%

So, Madonna was asking for 375$ and the people did not come. So Paul Simon and Sting can ask for 400 USD? This is laughable. It is a joke. I would even bet that those tickets some of you bought now in the first days will be on sale in the last week for half the price -just ask your seating neighbour what he paid then. I see that the whole pre-sale thing is a big trick, the trick is: You pay much more because you feel proud to be a selected member and be honored to select your seat first(before the stupid mass).

I see it that way. Sorry, I do not see that Paul Simon and Sting are worth that money for 2 hours. If they want to do it for the music and for their fans, then the should play on a big airfield, ask for 40 Euros and see how many people will come. Everyone would be happy.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 615 ]

Bodo
Sep-20-2014, 21:06 GMT
Austria

@Ans - well both, Sting and Paul may ask for maybe 750.000 USD per show, so if they have some basic math knowledge they find out the tickets might not be cheap. I just posted two examples of musicians who had no idea about their own marketprice anymore. Stones asking for 20 Mio USD for 5 shows. Why not going into a bank and rob them?

Everyone has to draw a line, thats right, but is it a drop-out game or a concert? Looks like the first thing now. Whats next, tickets for 1000 USD and a higher drop out rate? Still you can say: Everyone has to draw a line. It seems to be a joke, it seems as if those musicians are saying: If you are not going to pay that high price, you are not worth beeing my fan.

BTW: I think the days of subvention are over since a few years now.

The 125 Euro deal, well where do you sit?
In Vienna it is:
290 Euros (front of stage)
190 Euros (ground, front of stage)
110 Euros (side)
and then there is one section in the last edge of the arena, guess there must be the toilet and some virus-infection area, cause these 100 seats cost only 45 euros.

Of course I could say now: Hey, I got a ticket for 45 euros, Paul and Sting, thats worth it. But I would make a fool of myself.
The 125 Euro tickets you bought, wasn't that a 50 Euros seat the last time?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 614 ]

Bodo
Sep-20-2014, 21:14 GMT
Austria

BTW: I think it is nice to have a discussion here :-)

I see we have different viewpoints, but I see you all as my friends. Nothing bad is going on.

Ans  
Sep-20-2014, 22:20 GMT
Netherlands

Of course we are all friends and this is a fair discussion.

I checked my old tickets and from the last tours they are all around €70 standing area and I managed to stand at the front, but had to queue several hours before to be sure to get to the front.

Now I have a €125 ticket for a double bill who play for 3 hours, not 2 and I have a seat midfront at the floor row 5 which is very good because I can see the whole stage and am close enough to see the interaction between Paul, Sting and the band. Could have gone closer for €125 but choose not to. Ticket prices for Amsterdam are between €70 and €125 except fee.

BTW, Amsterdam concert nearly sold out at Ticketmaster, except for some expensive exclusive deals, platinum tickets and with dinner or buffet.

Matthew  
Sep-20-2014, 22:40 GMT
United Kingdom

I think the mistake here is to think that the artists have anything at all to do with the price of the tickets. The artist is approached via their managers to do a tour. Then if they say yes, the manager arranges the tour with various promoters and the ticket sites, lawyers, etc. It is these people who determine the prices, not the artists.

They are business men and women so if they can charge 5x what we think a ticket should cost and fill the stadium 80% then they make more money than a 100% full stadium with cheap tickets. Having said that I fully expect the venues to be largely full/sold out as a double-header event like this is always worth more than the sum of its parts.

I suggested to my friends that we go to a concert and said the cheapest tickets were £50. One of them phoned me and said don't buy those, get the more expensive ones. My other friend emailed to say he would be happy to pay for the £110 tickets (and he is not even a fan of either artist).

[Like] 1 Ans Ans
[Reply] - [Readers: 612 ]

Simon
Sep-20-2014, 23:23 GMT
United Kingdom

Sorry, I can't imagine that the performers aren't aware of the ticket pricing or have any influence on it...

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 610 ]

Matthew
Sep-21-2014, 00:36 GMT
United Kingdom

I'd say very little awareness and a lot less influence.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 605 ]

Bodo
Sep-21-2014, 10:06 GMT
Austria

I don't agree an the very little influence - when Madonna says she is worth the 300USD and the Stones take 20 Mio for 5 shows, then they do not have to be math genius. They simply demand too much, and a portion of the fans stops to pay (in their case a bigger portion).

Also Paul knows that he can ask for 300.000 when touring alone, and ask for 1 mio as S&G (I recall these numbers from 2002 and 2003/2004)

Then in the end the ticket price depends on playing big stadions or seated arenas. Sting/Paul can not fill a 40.000 people stadion(?), so they play the medium sized places. The really strange thing is: They earn the same money, if they play in front of 10.000 or 50.000 fans. Would make more sense if you tell them: You earn 40$ by every ticket we sell...

What I really wonder is: Who makes the decission if this is seated or standing in front of the stage? I know that you can change the layout in nearly every arena. The Sting/Paul tour is strictly seated. A few years back on Pauls solo shows it was mixed. But I think even on the Graceland tour it was seated beside the 2-3 "festival" gigs.

I always think that Paul prefers a standing audience.
But there must be some influence. Stars like "Slash" would never play in front of a seated audience.

Anyway: today the artists are demanding more money, and the tour promoters have found out how to sell tickets like "flight-tickets".
10 years ago buying a ticket early in a fan-presale was an option to get a face-value ticket, later all the good tickets were only available on ebay.

Today buying early means paying the high price also.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 584 ]

Mimi
Sep-21-2014, 10:29 GMT
Austria

I think that at the moment concert ticekt prices are really weired. Every year they are going up and some day that will stop. But record sales drop and for a lot of artists it´s the only way to earn money. The last time when I bought the tickets for the show in Austria (which was canceled because of the weather) I paid about € 100,- and had front row tickets. We than drove to Lörrach where we paid about € 70,- and because it was an only standing area we managed to be almost at the front.
I would not question if I am still a big fan only because I think about those prices. I have a family and children and paying € 400,- for two tickets is not something you do every day. So my point is that I am not angry about the prices but there is a limit for me, what I am willing to pay. I still wonder everytime who are those people who pay for the Super-VIP-Special-Everything tickets? People with to much money on their hands or really die-hard-fans?

[Like] 1 Bodo Bodo
[Reply] - [Readers: 582 ]

Bodo
Sep-21-2014, 10:36 GMT
Austria

I also wonder about those people Mimi :-)
I am so curious. There must be at least 500 very rich Paul Simon fans around Vienna which do pay the 290 Euros... Who the f.. are they??

It is interesting to read about Matthews friends ("go for the better tickets"). None of my friends is going to spend that money for concert tickets. Their answer is usually: "I went to a festival, saw 20 bands for 75 Euros on 3 days, I am not going to pay 100 to see 1 artist only." (I must admit I enjoyed the festival in London with Paul Simon a lot)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 582 ]

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread