Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineSeriously...

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

AuthorComment

Simon
Sep-19-2014, 08:34 GMT
United Kingdom

I'm not quite sure why PS needs to tour with Sting (I can't recall a decent Sting song since about 1990), I would much prefer a solo show in smaller venues as per 2011 with reasonable ticket prices. The best show I've been too was S&G in 1982 (Wembley, London), £10 per ticket & to be at the front was easy ---- just arrive 5 hrs before the start... Just looked at prices for PS in 2000 -- £35 for a top priced ticket.. Just seen AG for £35 last week & he was fantastic.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 363 ]

Michiel
Sep-19-2014, 08:38 GMT
Netherlands

I also think Art's prices are too high, but for another reason... Normally the 50 euros compared to the multiple for Simon Sting would be a fair price in my opinion. But I think Art's voice has not recovered fully at all, in his case it is completely clear that he asks money for a show in which he by far he does not reach the old high quality... And I'm not speaking of ageing only in his case.... Have you listened to recent youtubes of his shows in US? He says his voice is 99% back. i disagree on that...!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 363 ]

Bodo
Sep-19-2014, 09:17 GMT
Austria

Ok, maybe my missunderstanding...I thought all that hurry and the whole fan-presale was to catch a front row ticket ;-)
Anyway, all tickets in Vienna in front of the stage are 190 Euros, the first block is 290 Euros
The tickets on the side are 111 Euros

I maybe had a feeling we all usually sit in row 1 to 10 to be close as possible to Paul. ;-)

But - still - theres not much sense now in that fan-presale...that cheaper tickets are available for weeks.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 362 ]

Simon
Sep-19-2014, 09:17 GMT
United Kingdom

I'd probably say that seeing a performer live rather than judging via You Tube is the way to do it....

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 362 ]

Ans
Sep-19-2014, 10:32 GMT
Netherlands

I think with fan-presale tickects it's easier and more fair to get good tickets. I remember in the past they first sold the tickets they wanted to fill the hall with, at least in my country. Front row tickets are not always the best seats, especially when the stage is high. When there is a standing area front row tickets are the best, especially when your are small like me ;-)

[Like] 1 Bodo Bodo
[Reply] - [Readers: 357 ]

Mimi
Sep-19-2014, 11:07 GMT
Austria

I am not decided yet, if I will attend the show in Vienna. I hoped that there will be a standing area, because I don´t want to sit through that concert, but there is none. But there is enough time to decide. I don´t think that the concert will sell out to fast.

[Like] 1 Bodo Bodo
[Reply] - [Readers: 356 ]

Natacha
Sep-19-2014, 12:49 GMT
France

Can't agree more. I won't go to the Paris show...

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 352 ]

Simon
Sep-19-2014, 12:52 GMT
United Kingdom

I totally agree with Bodo on this one

[Like] 1 Natacha Natacha
[Reply] - [Readers: 351 ]

Natacha
Sep-19-2014, 12:53 GMT
France

can't agree more with Bodo !

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 350 ]

Mireille
Sep-19-2014, 15:07 GMT
France

I won't go to Paris show. This way to sell tickets is a non-sense for me. More, prices move everyday, even on the same site (Livenation or Fnac or Ticketmaster). So, I have no more interest for this show.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 343 ]

Nath
Sep-19-2014, 17:56 GMT
France

Me neither...I will go and see Paul again only when he decides not to take his fans for cash dispensers anymore

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 334 ]

Bodo
Sep-20-2014, 11:27 GMT
Austria

Ok, I think this is a disaster.

From that perspective that some real fans will not go to a concert now.

Personally, I feel like I am doing the wrong thing: not going to the concerts by the musician I admire most. I think I am a bad fan. But the disaster is: I am not alone. That is sad, isn't it? And how many more will "not go" which we do not know... I have a friend who became aware of Paul Simon because of me, he then bought 2 or 3 albums and likes him a lot. In 2008 he already had tickets for the Austrian show, 60 Euros or something (show cancelled then) - of course he will not go to that expensive concert. So are these shows only for the old fanbase, or to attract new fans? Either A, nor B? A minority of A.

And even more worse is, I know, I could afford those tickets if I want, but I will not, I feel like robbed if I buy them. My fandom isn't that big. I feel others are more into Paul, that makes me sad.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 307 ]

Bodo
Sep-20-2014, 11:50 GMT
Austria

@Simon

Why does Simon tour with Sting?
Well, their answer is that it is pure because of the music. I would/could agree on that. They harmonize well, they both have clever lyrics and their sound is similar. Both explore new music or world music, they can have a good conversation about that music I guess. So their own pure interest is the music.
Only 1 thing: Paul also said: He is not sure if he still has a fan-base, and that gives some inside, if we think about the past 3-4 years.

In 2010-2011 Paul toured heavely, but he could hardly fill an bigger arenas (only at festivals he had a big audience). I loved those small shows. Paul said he liked that too, I am sure he did. His bank account manager might not be that happy, at least he might have been asked by some tour managers to lower his price the next time.
So, I think there is still a big ego in him, he still wants to have a mass audience. We all want that, at least if you had it you want that feeling back.
Doing the "Graceland" thing was a good welcome idea. Again he could fill stadions of 15.000-20.000 people. But I think personaly Paul doesn't want to do that thing again and again.

My guess is also that he doesn't want to make that step back to the 2000 seaters again (and earn only a 100.000 per show - cut again 2 or 3 people from the band). You end up like Art Garfunkel, playing in front of 300 people and asking for 60 Euros. Thats IMO also a part of that Sting-Simon show. And while they both pretend it is only about the music, we can be sure that at least Paul earns much more now than on his 2010/2011 shows. Well, Paul will have the same income as Sting, and Sting has a good value. They will not say we share it 20/80....

The question is: Will this tour really boost Paul Simons solo career again?

I know, my posting is too much about money, but music is only in the rule of business. Beside them (Sting/Paul) making it for the pure music - I am sure that they do it for that, everyone else around them is making it for the money. So 1+1=4

P.S.
Maybe Paul can grab some Sting fans ;-)

Bodo  
Sep-20-2014, 11:52 GMT
Austria

P.S.
Still I would like to know someone who is paying the 300 Euros in Vienna for the front block. I want to know that Austrian fan who is a MUCH more bigger fan than I am since 25 years now! Just for the interest :-)
Don't tell me all those seats are taken by Sting fans...

Ans  
Sep-20-2014, 12:11 GMT
Netherlands

I always wonder about the fans that are demanding this or that from the artist they love. I think it's simple, as long as you like what an artist does you are a fan and follow him. If you don't like it anymore you have to move on, the artist will not change because you want him to which is good IMO.

I still like what Paul does these days, even a tour with Sting. This does not mean I listen very often to Sting's music, there are some songs I like and I like the songs they do together on this tour. What I also like is how much fun they have on stage together and how much they respect each other and each other's music.

Yes the tickets are expensive but a lot of shows are expensive these days, the good old times are definitely over. Life is expensive these days, the good thing is we can make a choice, lots of people can't.

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread