Brenda
Oct-08-2013, 08:47 GMT
Australia

Thanks Danny!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 671 ]

Brenda
Oct-08-2013, 08:53 GMT
Australia

Paul can be very defensive on S and G songs. He believes only a few have stood the test of time. Also rarely will he sign any albums or photos of his S and G days. Fans who were waiting to have autographs at Emory University were advised not to request him to sign anything relating to S and G.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 671 ]

Bodo
Oct-08-2013, 12:51 GMT
Austria

Hm, I would not take that look personally. If I am in that position and have to think about something back in my life that was not good I guess my look also would be dirty, but not because of the person asking, just because of the process of remembering. And he gave you a true answer. I think you can not expect him to smile and think about his worst song (if he does so he is a liar / pure showmen)

I liked that you asked him that. The usual questions are boring and sound like "oh Paul you are so great, why are you so great...is it some miracle, do you eat magic salt..."

Just one thing: Maybe it was not clever in the end to say that this song is one of your favourites (what can he answer?). Maybe you should have said: "Interesting, I thought of Cars are Cars" ;-)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 657 ]

DannyC
Oct-08-2013, 14:06 GMT
USA - United Staates America

That's why I asked it. All of the questions are boring and a lot of them werent even about Paul, one was "How can I find myself spiritually?", which Paul ended up deflecting to Paul Muldoon anyway.

I know all about his good, and what he thinks is good, but even the greatest artist have a piece of work that they don't think is up to par and I wanted a different view of the man other then the sugar coated, Here are all of my greatest songs view. The question woke people up in the audience thats for sure. I probably shouldnt have said it was one of my favorite songs though. That just probably poured salt in the wound.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 653 ]

Phil
Oct-08-2013, 16:01 GMT

Michael Kay, the Yankee broadcaster, has an excellent interview show called CenterStage. Paul was on a couple of years ago. There is a segment of the show when Kay does rapid fire questions. One question, posted only on the expanded on-line, unedited version - cut from the broadcast was: "Simon and Garfunkel or Paul Simon?" I guess meaning which act? which body of work? which period? did Simon prefer. Paul - fairly calmly - just sat there and said 'you can't compare 5 years to 45 years.' As I said, it was edited out. Now there's a dumb question to never ask!

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 648 ]

Jochen
Oct-08-2013, 16:32 GMT
Germany

Of course he likes his recent work more then the S&G stuff. On that show, he said, it's an unfair question, because the the question meant: "Do you prefer your early work or your mature work?"
And he mentioned many times, e.g. at Barnes&Nobles 2008, that he sometimes is surprised how bad his early songs were. Most of them were written instinctual; the songs since Graceland are more conceptual.
In another interview, Paul said he is even embarrassed about the lie-la-lie when he plays the boxer...

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 643 ]

Regandron
Oct-08-2013, 18:38 GMT
United Kingdom

You are being too sympathetic to Paul's anti-S&G stance. If he thinks that eg Pigs, Sheep and Wolves is better than The Boxer then he is plain off his trolley!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 637 ]

Lara  
Oct-08-2013, 21:06 GMT
Italy

Thank you Danny!!!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 624 ]

Brenda
Oct-08-2013, 23:12 GMT
Australia

S and G songs that Paul has very recently said have stood the test of time include 'The Boxer" SOS and "Mrs Robinson" I must admit to really not liking "Punky's Dilemma" or "Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine" Quite like Cars are Cars though.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 615 ]

Brenda
Oct-09-2013, 00:13 GMT
Australia

Some photos from the event. Thanks to Mary from AMPS.
http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Paul+Simon/Paul+Simon
+Paul+Muldoon+Chat+Stage+NYC/ZBVqfRNlEQ1

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 615 ]

Anthony
Oct-09-2013, 01:01 GMT

I put Cars are Cars on a Youtube slide show, usually they know
the song immediately , but they couldn't tell who was singing
this, I like the old songs that he thinks are juvenile,some
of my favorites are not included in his "Lyrics" book but he
did record them. Easily the best of the 50's or 60's unpopular
records.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 614 ]

DannyC
Oct-09-2013, 03:34 GMT

I also have a video of Paul singing Sounds of Silence. I am going to upload it to youtube and post it to the thread.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 609 ]

DannyC
Oct-09-2013, 04:09 GMT

Here is the video. Youtube compression ruined the video, but you get the point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V-Ino7IFOo&fea
ture=youtu.be

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 608 ]

Brenda
Oct-09-2013, 05:02 GMT
Australia

Sound is great Danny. Paul is in fine voice. I uploaded the other one before I saw yours.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 606 ]

Pelle
Oct-10-2013, 19:58 GMT
Sweden

The Riverbank is a very good song, I like it after the first listening, and it not so often I like songs so quickly.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 545 ]

Page: [1] [2] [3]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread