Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineWhere did Paul lived in London?

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Petr  
Jul-02-2013, 21:31 GMT
United Kingdom

Hello, I was just wondering about this questin "Where did Paul live in London back in 1964"? I know that he used to study King´s College, which is near Aldwich by Watterloo Bridge. I also know that he used to play in Les Cousins club in Soho, which is not far away from Kings College. Official sources also states that he sang and lived in Brentwood, Essex, which is north-east London, on one of his interview which is available on youtube he said that he lived with Judith Piapi and "she was working in Anglican Church... she helped homeless to stay there and I stayed there for a while...". I was trying to find that church, but wasn´t lucky enough as google dodn´t find any chains between Judith Piapi and Anglican church. Another link for me was his song Northern Line, where Paul sang that he takes this line from Hampstead do Leicester Square. Hampstead is North west, so I was wondering whether he lived there also or if he used it when he was travelling from Brentwood. There are links between all those places (Brentwood-Hampstead-Leicester Square-Soho) which I guess is the way he used to travel most. Anyone having some more information or even street address?
I live in Hampstead and work on Leicester square, so I want to check Paul´s "home" as I found his former clubs already :)

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 3009 ]

Scaaty
Jul-03-2013, 07:45 GMT
Ireland

The Anglican Church is the global name for the Church of England ie a branch of Christianity like roman catholism or Lutheran

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 3000 ]

regandron
Jul-03-2013, 08:44 GMT
United Kingdom

At the S&G concert in Hyde Park Paul or Artie mentioned living on Cable Street London back in the 60s. I also read somewhere that Paul stayed at Judith Piepe's house, not sure if this is the same place.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 2998 ]

Klausi
Jul-04-2013, 09:05 GMT
Germany

According to Patrick Humphries Paul arrived in London on April 11 1964, performing the next day at Brentwood Folk Club. The girl who took the tickets was Kathy.

He came from Paris, where he had lived for a certain time, sleeping under a bridge for a week. There he met Los Incas (Urubamba).

In London he took a flat in Hampstead.

The second time he lived in Judith Piepe`s flat in the East End.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 2970 ]

regandron
Jul-04-2013, 18:10 GMT
United Kingdom

Thx klaus..Cable Street is Limehouse/ East End so that must be the Judith Piepe address.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 2961 ]

Petr
Jul-04-2013, 20:53 GMT
United Kingdom

this is what I found: "In 64/65, Paul Simon was living at Judith Piepe's council flat in Dellow Road, off Cable Street. He wrote 'The Big Bright Green Plesure Machine' in nearby all-night laundrette. Other house guests included Al Steward, Sandy Denny, occasionally Art Garfunkel..."
from Pete Frame's book Rockin' Around Britain: Rock'n'roll Landmarks of the UK and Ireland

any ideas where he lived in Hampstead?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 2955 ]

regandron
Jul-08-2013, 18:13 GMT
United Kingdom

It would be nice to have a street address for Paul's flat in Hampstead. I haven't seen anything.

Also, Paul said that he lived with a family in Brentwood, ie I'm assuming this was for longer than just the night of the original folk club gig. At a guess, was this Kathy's family home??

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 2890 ]

Howard
Jul-10-2013, 08:09 GMT
United Kingdom

Kathy lived in Hornchurch. I should know. I met her a couple of times!!!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 2859 ]

Klausi
Jul-14-2013, 13:48 GMT
Germany

Another question: when did Paul meet Urubamba? According to Humphries in 1964, on Live Rhymin Paul says in 1965. Maybe two times.

We know that he was in Denmark in late 1965.

In 1980 he said on the radio (I heard it) he also was in Germany around this time (Munich, Berlin). Probably as tourist, cannot imagine somebody booked him as Singer.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 2797 ]

Bodo
Jul-26-2013, 14:23 GMT
Austria

I found this on Urubambas page

Simon first met the band (then know as Los Incas) when they were co-billed at the Theatre del L'Est Parisienne in Paris in 1965.

http://boleadora.com/urubnot.htm

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 2739 ]

Bodo
Jul-26-2013, 14:30 GMT
Austria

This might be the original source:
http://books.google.at/books?id=ljbTQqFlOEIC&p
g=PA138&lpg=PA138&dq=Theatre+del+L'Est+Par
isienne+paul+simon+1965&source=bl&ots=R8fa
_TIqB2&sig=qUqwav1x5rFWzFvKMcRFNuKKdIE&hl=
de&sa=X&ei=p3jyUYbsLMevPKfFgKAH&ved=0C