Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineHeidi Berg on fire...

Page: [1] [2] [3]

AuthorComment

Bodo
Oct-02-2012, 15:11 GMT
Austria

He could have, thats true. But I do not think that this was Pauls intention. He hired them to get their sound for a song he will write.
I have no clue why they did not get paid anything (for the studio work). But I am pretty sure there must be something like a contract, Steve said a few times that Lenny worked everything out before.

But anyway, what is it what Heidi Berg is longing for?
She even said that Paul stole her 'covnersations'

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 362 ]

Mimi
Oct-02-2012, 16:37 GMT
Austria

I think that´s really funny. A lot of people were worried, that Paul exploited the "poor naive" black people and the only group that didn´t get credited or paid were the "clever" white guys.

Ans
Oct-02-2012, 17:43 GMT
Netherlands

I read a little while ago via twitter an article where Steve said they were paid for the studio work, he didn't know about that but found out recently. I will try to find it but not sure I will be able to find it again.

Bodo  
Oct-02-2012, 19:42 GMT
Austria

Thanks Ans.
That makes all the things Steve Berlin said before in his last 2 Paul-I-hate-you-interviews even more stupid. He is moaning around and does not even know his own facts.
I guess some Los Lobos band member came, took an arm around him and said:
"Steve, could you calm down a little bit...we are over it since....ehm...23 years now. And Steve, before you get us in trouble - we got acutally paid for it, but - my fault - we forgot to give you your share."

Mimi
Oct-03-2012, 07:54 GMT
Austria

Here is the interview that Ans mentioned

http://www.avclub.com/articles/steve-berlin-of-los
-lobos-on-rem-and-sharing-the-p,84946/2/

Sounds a little bit different than before "We could have said, that we want (that song) for ourselves, but we didn´t" and "I said we did not get paid for it, but I have to correct that one."

Looks like they did not enjoy working with Paul and that´s it. Why they did not tell him than and start whining about it much later?

Håkan
Oct-03-2012, 08:25 GMT
USA - United Staates America

OK, so they got paid as session musicians. But he still thinks that should get co-writing credit. Unless someone shows me a contract that says "Paul Simon owns everything that comes out of the recording session", I prefer to think that Los Lobos actually had maybe a "half-finished" song that Simon later amended/changed/added/whatever.

Bodo
Oct-03-2012, 08:53 GMT
Austria

This guy is doing a lot of interviews, doesn't he?

Ok anyway - I wonder if he is reading our comments, because it looks like he is defending about not beeing obsessed about Paul Simon (and that was what we talked here about too...)

Anyway - Hakan - I am pretty sure there was a contract like that, not a stupid contract, a really good one for Paul I guess.
If they are paid as session musicians they can not get co-writing credits. It is either you take the risk of writting a song and wait for some money or you take the money and say thank you. Paul is also not paid as a session musician, in fact he usually paid a lot for renting a studio and all those things.

Håkan
Oct-03-2012, 09:44 GMT

If there was a contract, Simon should have said so when he was confronted with the allegation - and maybe showed it some reporter or so. Instead he has made it clear that the song is his alone, and that Los Lobos didn't write anything. I don't think that description of the circumstances are 100% correct.

Bodo
Oct-03-2012, 10:20 GMT
Austria

We can only speculate what was going on.

What we know is, that the band did not want to go into the studio with Paul (even before) and in the end they did not like each other.
Paul used them as session musicians - they should not have done that but they did it for their Warner contract.

All I know is that Paul said they did not say anything for months and then suddenly he got a letter from a lawyer. He was pissed of I guess.
Steve on the other side said they tried to call him for months. Paul said they had his private number and could have called him every time.

What should we say.

I wonder if some journalist will ask Paul again this. As there aren't any new facts he might not get another answer.

Bodo
Oct-03-2012, 10:21 GMT
Austria

I also think that Los Lobos had a half finished song - and they gave it to Paul without telling him.

Håkan
Oct-03-2012, 10:46 GMT

The fact that the waited some months after Graceland was released - for any reason we don't know of - doesn't diminish their claim.

Håkan
Oct-03-2012, 10:47 GMT

Or they gave it Simon without knowing that they GAVE it to him!

Bodo
Oct-03-2012, 13:08 GMT
Austria

Heidi Berg might know - she is Norwegian :)

Håkan  
Oct-03-2012, 14:28 GMT

You mean "NoRWEGIAN"!

mog
Oct-03-2012, 15:01 GMT
Canada

I am kind of worried about Berg's mental health status (if the messages in question have been written by the actual person). She states lots of things that seem to be untrue. Like she says at one place that Simon has erased his thanks for her on the occasion of the 25th anniversary reissue. I checked yesterday and the original thanks are still there in the reissue.

Although I kind of think that some of her comments could be true, she has obviously a chip on her shoulder. I don't why. Maybe feeling that she could have made something with that tape ? She could not forgive herself ? Who knows...

Page: [1] [2] [3]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread