Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineHeidi Berg on fire...

Page: [1] [2] [3]

AuthorComment

mog
Oct-01-2012, 18:55 GMT
Canada

I don´t know if you have seen some comments made by Heidi Berg on the web here and there. She is not very tender about Paul, saying is a robber and devil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYJv6nol0Fw

http://soulsafari.wordpress.com/2011/09/21/david-t
hekwane-the-boyoyo-boys-township-jive-1977/

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 873 ]

Mimi
Oct-01-2012, 20:50 GMT
Austria

Honestly, I never unterstood her problem. She is mad, because she wasn´t credited enough for being the one, who gave him the casettes?

Bodo
Oct-01-2012, 20:51 GMT
Austria

Her comments do not let sound her very clever.

Bodo
Oct-01-2012, 20:58 GMT
Austria

Her problem is that she isn't able to say what she wants to say in understandable words. Not today, and maybe not back in 1983. She sounds weird to me.

She maybe wanted that Paul makes a star out of her - and maybe she wanted to record one of those accordeon songs (hey we have accoredons in Austria too, not only Norwegian people do have them ;-), maybe she wanted to fall in love with Paul (the comment about the divorce of Princes Leila makes you wonder a little bit...)

Bodo
Oct-01-2012, 21:03 GMT
Austria

This comment sounds so weird:
Heidi Berg about Boyoyo Boys:
they were NOT happy. underpaid and overworked and in the dark. Believe me. I was at a number of sessions and turned him onto the group because I am NoRWEGIAN.

So Heidi Berg was in South Africa? Because she is Norwegian? Logical.

They were underpaid?
I heard Paul paid the highest rate for sudio musicians ever.

Heidi Berg - will she come to this forum and give a feedback?

mog
Oct-01-2012, 21:32 GMT
Canada

You are right to say that some of her comments are intriguing...

For instance, she says that Gumboots was taken directly from the song original multi-tracks and that Simon added the sax and his voice/lyrics. But we have always been told that Gumboots on Graceland had been a new cut made in the studio with some of The Boyoyo Boys. And then she says that the BB were not happy and underpaid ?!

Plus, in the BBC 1992 radio documentary, Hilton Rosentahl clealy states that Paul wanted originally to work with existing tracks, but could not because there were no multi-tracks recordings in SA at the time the BB tracks were recorded (in the 1960's).

Anyhow, what is the problem if the original musicians have been credited for the music like in TBITB and Gumboots ?!

Here, btw, the original of TBITB from Tau Ea Matsekha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbK0zd5vtsE&fea
ture=related

Håkan
Oct-02-2012, 08:19 GMT
USA - United Staates America

She seems obsessed. Maybe she is about 25% correct when describing the events. For instance I doubt very much that Paul wanted to produce a record for her - or that he even had said words to that effect. Why should he? He hasn't produced many other artist during the last 50 years.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 872 ]

Bodo
Oct-02-2012, 09:18 GMT
Austria

Thanks for the youtube link mog. I never heard that before.

It is of course true, that some (1/3) of the Graceland tracks have been created out of other pre-existing tracks. If the song has already been recorded the artist got credited (and of course earned money over the last 25 years).
Anyway: When I listen to those songs (the Boyoyo boy ones or the Tau Ea Matsekha song) you can clearly understand that Paul has just taken the pure sketch or rhythm and wrote another song with another melody. Those pre-songs are just repeating beats, I am bored after 1 minute. Paul took the skeleton and created excellent classics/legends of modern pop music.

PS. I am not sure if this is the real 'Heidi Berg'. It could be someone else, there are weird people out on the internet.

Brenda
Oct-02-2012, 09:22 GMT
Australia

Interesting comment

http://stereogum.com/author/burgundyblue/

Bodo
Oct-02-2012, 09:26 GMT
Austria

I think the real problem with all those people (Los Lobos, Heidi Berg) is, that in that time when recording the songs they thought Paul is a nobody, let him do that freaking music, no one would be interested in that strange album. It is 1984 and the world out there is listening to Michael Jackson, Prince and whatever you find on the charts. So they said: It is fine, use whatever you want, make somehting out of it.

Later Graceland went Gold and they thought: Holly shit, I should have done that.

That album is full of collaborations, Paul made SA music popular worldwide (LBM are still on that train) - all those songs would not be famous without Pauls genius of writting a wonderful melody and lyrics.

Håkan
Oct-02-2012, 10:00 GMT

On the other hand, Los Lobos claim is far more relevant than Heidi Berg's. Considering that other (South African) got writing credits on some of the songs, it doesn't sound right that Los Lobos was uncredited as songwriters. I think Simon misjudged the situation and later was unable/unwilling to change his mind.

Brenda
Oct-02-2012, 11:22 GMT
Australia

does anyone know what exactly Steve claims they wrote? Melody? lyrics? a guita riff?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 871 ]

Bodo
Oct-02-2012, 12:50 GMT
Austria

Steve claims they have written the complete song - and that they have written it BEFORE. He said it is 1:1 on the album.

Paul said, they came up with a riff during the sessions.

You could believe both versions. Steve himself said, they did not talk to Paul a lot - so they never said "this is our song"

It is a strange situation - I guess today even during jam sessions band record what they are playing, but Los Lobos did not have any recording of this piece/riff/idea/sketch.
The contract they have signed with Paul might give Paul the full songwritting credits for the jam sessions, so Los Lobos are lost.

Brenda
Oct-02-2012, 13:29 GMT
Australia

Thanks Bodo.

Håkan
Oct-02-2012, 13:51 GMT

Maybe I'm naive, but I doubt there ever was a contract between Simon & Los Lobos? It sounds more like "A Warner family thing", instigated by Lenny Waronker.

But if there was a contract I pretty much doubt it gave Simon all song writing credits in blanco. Who would sign such a contract AND after that give away the sketch of a song.

I think Los Lobos had the "sketch" of the song, not the finished one. If I'm not mistaken (and Los Lobos is to be trusted), they also had an idea what the song was about or the title, at least SOMETHING more than a riff. I think Simon should have given them co-writing credits. Probably.

Page: [1] [2] [3]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread