Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineHearts And Bones

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

carld40
Aug-02-2012, 18:35 GMT
United Kingdom

Just been listening to Hearts And Bones and realized just what a great album this is, I know it took a lot of stick when it came out, but what does everyone else think?

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 277 ]

Isabelle  
Aug-02-2012, 21:16 GMT
France

It's my favorite... All the songs are beautiful and full of idéas ( even Cars are cars, yes yes ;) )

Brenda
Aug-03-2012, 01:17 GMT
Australia

One of my favorites too. I love "Think Too Much' The slower song. Some great songs on there. This album is really appreciated by most of Paul's fans.

Håkan
Aug-03-2012, 08:16 GMT
USA - United Staates America

I've probably said it before, but I think that some of the production on Hearts & Bones seems a little bit dated today (to me at least). "When Numbers get Serious", "Think too Much (B)" and "Cars are Cars" falls into that category. And even on songs like "Allergies" and "Train in the Distance" I think it does to some smaller degree.

Bodo
Aug-03-2012, 12:10 GMT
Austria

I agree Hakan, thats absolute noticeable.

If Paul should ever go back to the studio and record one album again, then this should be H&B. He himself is not happy with the production, the musicians, they synth sound... It has much more potential.

There are many outstanding songs which have a quality you do not find on other Paul Simon albums:
Hearts and Bones
The Late great Johnny Ace
Rene and Georgette Magritte with Their Dog after the War
Train in the distance...

It was funny to read just a few days ago (in an outdated forum thread on another page), that Paul made himself a few enemies in the music business when he alone decided to delete the synthesizer sounds on "The late great Johnny Ace".

DannyJ  
Aug-03-2012, 12:20 GMT
United Kingdom

I LOVE Hearts and Bones, and think it sounds great. Imagine comparing a car from 1981 to the modern equivelant, there would be a massive difference in production there too! It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it, but it's what you get when you compare old with new. 30 years is a long time.

I was delighted when Paul started performing H&B and Train in the Distance again a few years ago... it was as if it had dawned on him that although the critics panned the album at the time, it was and always will be a firm favourite amongst the fans. These song were simply brilliant. H&B Especially.

Also, when I listen, I can hear tell-tale aspects of his music that appear in Graceland, as I can in OTP. It is an album that really speaks to me, and is a fine reflection of a very sad and (apparently) lonely time in his life.

Suzi
Aug-03-2012, 13:07 GMT

It is still my favorite after all these years.

jupira
Aug-03-2012, 18:56 GMT
Brazil

I like "Cars are cars " as well - I ever thought only Paul Simon could write something decent with this silly title...
The idea expressed in the last verses makes the whole stuff looks interesting.
Love all tracks - if I remember well, the first I liked was 'Allergies'
Its a great and underated album,indeed

Håkan
Aug-06-2012, 10:35 GMT

Some things age with more dignity than other. As Bodo suggested, I think this is the only Paul Simon (solo) album that hasn't done that. I don't here same "dated" sound on his older records like "There Goes Rhymin' Simon" or "Still Crazy after all these Years" or even his 1972 album "Paul Simon". I think these still sound "fresh" to me.

The trick is not be lured into adjusting the sound to the present fashion. How many artist did that during the disco era (late 1970's) and how many added "space sounds" from Star Wars into the productions? These productions seem hopelessly dated today and people have a tendency to see them as curiosities from that era.

"Hearts & Bones" suffers from the syntetic drum machines and the sound Bodo mentioned.

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread