HeadlineConfirmed band 2012?

Page: [1] ... [3] [4] [5]

AuthorComment

Bodo
Jul-14-2012, 11:19 GMT
United Kingdom

So, we might be in that blues bar this evening
http://www.aintnothinbut.co.uk/
As far as I understand it closes at 2:30 on Saturdays, - and I believe Petr is right, the Hide Park area might be very busy this evening.
During the day we will be in Greenwich.
If someones want to contact us please TEXT-MESSAGE 0043 650 9263630

Bodo

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 403 ]

Scaaty
Jul-14-2012, 11:34 GMT
Ireland

Enjoy the concert tomorrow everyone hopefully Paul will be well rested- he was very energetic last night .
Just one thing LBM maybe only did 2 solos but they were quite long and intricitate, then homeless and diamonds - do they were on stage for at 20 - 30 minutes. I would have liked to hear more from TM the first night she appeared very nervous - but was more relaxed last night.

If sunday is as big an improvement on Friday as Friday was on Thursday ( which was already incredible) you are in for a big threat !!

Matthew
Jul-14-2012, 14:18 GMT
United Kingdom

The concert is due to finish at 10.15pm I think so I'll be up for meeting afterwards because I am staying in London not far from the Park. Meeting at Hard Rock Cafe, as previously suggested, appeals if it is not too busy.

My number is +44 (0)7958 499880.

I am going to be at Hyde Park from around 3pm so that I can watch most of the support acts. Happy to meet up prior to Paul Simon's set too.

Brian Hassett
Jul-14-2012, 14:58 GMT
United Kingdom

The trick if there IS a line outside Hard Rock — I just walk past it into the club like I've been in there all night — there's no ONE person who stands out there — it's pretty loosy-goosy — and if someone does ask what I'm doing, I just say, "I'm at the bar." Or, "I just stepped out for a smoke." Or "People called me and are holding a place inside and are expecting me." ;-)

Brian Hassett  
Jul-14-2012, 17:19 GMT
United Kingdom

Matthew & others — re: support acts — if you're not already hip to Robert Randolph, do yourself a favour. ;-)
He's revolutionized the pedal steel, turning it from a support instrument to the central lead.
And he's one helluva player.
And these things are, pretty much by definition, the hardest stringed instrument to play.
I don't know how he (or Alison Krauss for that matter) will work at a venue this large where people are so far away from these somewhat intimate ensembles, but RR is a helluva frontman, and he does a lot of very unusual covers — one of my faves being MJ's Billie Jean (!) — screeching it on pedal steel.
Wild stuff. Just a heads up on that one. ;-)

Petr
Jul-14-2012, 18:29 GMT
United Kingdom

I apologise but I am not coming tonight as I got a flu :( ... I will relax home and try to join tomorrow... by the way, i got my 25. anniversary CD-DVD today :) ... and I still have 1 spare ticket, I can give it out for beer or so...

Matthew  
Jul-14-2012, 18:53 GMT
United Kingdom

Thanks for the recommendation Brian. We should be there soon after he starts if not before. I am looking forward to seeing Alison Krauss because I though her rendition of Graceland at the Congress Library celebration was captivating. I guess she won't be singing that one tomorrow, though!

Bodo
Jul-19-2012, 10:51 GMT
Austria

Does anyone know the names of the 2 other female background singers?
I can't remember if Paul mentioned them...first I thought they are from Jimmy Cliffs band maybe, later I thought they are from Hugh Masekela? Any idea who they are?

Scaaty
Jul-19-2012, 11:39 GMT
Ireland

He said their names on the first (and maybe the second) night in Dublin. They are both from South Africa.

Bodo
Jul-19-2012, 12:42 GMT
Austria

Oh, so I might have missed that. Although I am sure I would not have understood their african sounding names exactly ;-)

Mireille
Jul-19-2012, 20:24 GMT
France

I have to admit that I don't remember their names. Paul named them, and they were well applauded, but..... What I'm sure : in Brussels, there were 3 female background vocals.
Thandiswa Mazwai was not in the background but performed solo.
And, she, and one of the bakground vocals (the one on the left of the group), joined Paul to perform Under African Skies. I'm embarassed cause I did like their voices and performances with Paul.

Bodo
Jul-19-2012, 20:55 GMT
Austria

Mireille - the one who performed together with Paul was Sonti: - and she is the only one from the original Graceland tour.
http://www.paul-simon.info/PHP/musician.php?id_mus
ician=47

I found her voice very good - she sang together with Miriam Makeba in 1987 on stage too.

Mireille  
Jul-19-2012, 22:59 GMT
France

Thanks Bodo : I'm sorry not to recognize her (but, as I said, we were unfortunately far from the stage but that confirms what I said on the french forum too ; during "Under African Skies", I prefered her voice than Thandiswa Mazwais'one. Sonti's voice is closer Myriam Makeba'voice and South African's voices. And after all, it's just my opinion and feeling !

Bodo
Jul-19-2012, 23:26 GMT
Austria

Oh i also did not recognize her - she looks a lot different now - but Paul mentioned her in London and said she is from the original Graceland band (but he did not mention her first when the Graceland band was introduced, just some songs later)

Scaaty
Jul-19-2012, 23:30 GMT
Ireland

You can recognize sonti s voice very clearly on the CP91 album - she hasn't lost any of her power.

Was listening to the CP 91 CD today (the first cd I bought for our cd player) and..... It has scratches all through "she moves on" I thought CDs weren't meant scratch!!!!!

Page: [1] ... [3] [4] [5]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread