Bottom

HeadlineDrinks

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

BingFrisby
May-12-2004, 18:59 GMT
IP:
United Kingdom

Speaking of people offering hot dogs and drinks at the concert in Europe, didn´t someone shout out at a Simon concert once to "buy us a drink"! Which Paul Simon did....everybody in the arena. I think that is a great story.I want to hear more Simon stories like that. Especially if anyone has personal stories to share which aren´t in the profiles.

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 323 ]

Bodo
May-13-2004, 08:52 GMT
IP:
Austria

Well, there is another story where Paul forgot the lyrics for ´50 way´s during the 2nd verse.
He stopped playing, it was quiet for a moment - and then he said.
5 Buck´s for anyone who know´s the next verse.

Someone from the audience then told him, but I don´t know if he ever got the money.

That was in 1980, during the Cleveland show I think.

BTW. AFAIK your story wasn´t at a concert, it was at a press conference, Simon asked "Something else I could do for you" and then this guy shouted "buy us a drink"

Julie
May-13-2004, 09:21 GMT
IP:
United Kingdom

I think it was at a concert....the Hammersmith in London I think....don´t know which year.He supposedly put a sum of money behind the bar and actually did buy everyone a drink. It´s in one of the biographies somewhere but I can´t find it.

Bodo
May-13-2004, 10:26 GMT
IP:
Austria

I have a newspaper article about it, maybe I´ll read it this weekend again.

That must have been a very expensive concert for Paul or ;-) (you know, every tour before Graceland was a finacial desaster)

Anyway I think it´s not possible that all people (if there are 10 or 20k visitors) really got a drink, except they have been waiting for 8 hours at the bar ;-)

It´s one of the best stories about Paul IMO.

Bodo
May-13-2004, 10:56 GMT
IP:
Austria

Another story (not that imprehensive)
In 1991 Paul Simon played in Imst in Austria - it was the only show here on this tour.
But the opening act couldn´t come, their airplane couldn´t start.
So Paul came out earlier and said: "Ok, so I´ll play longer"
It was a great show everyone tell´s me (and I missed it :- - so don´t ask me which extra songs he played. I guess some of the songs he varies at the encore like Homeward Bound, SOS, Boxer ...)

Marieno
May-13-2004, 17:16 GMT
IP:
France

Julie is right...it was in London, during the OTP tour in 1980 (cf the P.Humphries´s book)...

Nathgertsch
May-13-2004, 17:46 GMT
IP:
France

In Lucca, 2002, the spotlights suddenly stopped and Paul asked us to light our lighters up :-)
Some minutes later, he threw on us a bottle of water : he was finally very wild that night ! LOL !

Bodo
May-13-2004, 21:15 GMT
IP:
Austria

A nice story also happened in Montreux. We promised Bakithi to give him one of our self-made T-shirts. The only chance we had was to throw the T-shirt to Bakithi during the show. So we showed it to him and Mandy threw it onto the stage directly to Mr. Kumalo.
But the funny thing was that Paul was totally confused, he thought the shirt is for him and looked very puzzled.
Later at the show he shaked hand´s with some fan´s and Mandy, and said to her a little bit despising but with a smile "Bakithi Kumalo fan..."

BingFrisby
May-14-2004, 08:43 GMT
IP:
United Kingdom

Good stuff this! Keep them coming in.

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread