Netherlands

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/dec/16/folk-l
egend-davey-graham-dies

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 475 ]

Klausi
Dec-19-2008, 08:18 GMT
Germany

His song "Anji" probably improved Simon`s guitar skills, which are often underrated, because he always plays "on the safer side".

Ian
Dec-19-2008, 12:29 GMT
Norway

Hi Klausi,you´re spot on with that evaluation of Paul´s guitar playing. It´s always a little frustrating that he doesn´t just let loose once in a while. Listen to the ´Paul Simon´ album from 1972-there are some wonderful examples of his skill on that album. The average listener probably can´t tell,but his guitar playing on the new song ´Love in Hard Times´ is also a truly tasty piece of playing. People think a great guitarist must play loud and fast on an electric guitar. I personally could listen to a lifetime of Paul´s playing,than enduring ten minutes of Satriani or Vai´s histrionics. Yawn. Anyway,sad about Davey Graham. Come to think of it,I prefer Paul´s version of ´Anji´ over that of it´s composer.

Ans
Dec-19-2008, 18:21 GMT
Netherlands

Paul learned from Davey Graham, now there are young musicians who learn from Paul. They have more opportunities to learn than Paul had in the early days, chord books, video`s and youtube where you can learn a lot and show your own skills. Here is a good review of a talented young musician who covers Papa Hobo and you can see him play it at youtube.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/155629/paul_simons_
heir_dan_hardin_revealed_on_youtube.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGHueei2ccU

Ian
Dec-19-2008, 19:07 GMT
Norway

Yes Ans,I also as a younger man in the mid eighties took up and learned guitar,influenced almost entirely Paul Simon. I knew other kids who took up the guitar at the same time,and I could have easily followed them and started to learn AC/DC riffs and little more,but instead,I grew my nails long and took up fingerstyle guitar. It was a great way to learn,and I would Love to be able to show my appreciation to Paul,for all I have learnt from him. Of course,I´ll never have that chance so I´ll just ´thank the Lord for my fingers,for my fingers´ instead.

bodo
Dec-23-2008, 20:56 GMT
Austria

In the last weeks we only hear about death of Pauls friends...Miriam Makeba, now Davy Graham...the same age as Paul.

Even Makeba was not very Old IMO, she was so powerfull on stage and lookes so young.

Paul is old now...you see it when every month you hear about another death.

Scaaty  
Dec-23-2008, 22:35 GMT
Ireland

Both of Pauls parents were a good age when they died, also Paul has lived a reasonably healthy life style since his 30´s. So I don´t think we need to get to mournful just yet Bodo.

Ian
Dec-24-2008, 01:20 GMT
Unknown

It not something I can even contemplate really...too painful. I agree with you Scaaty that Paul,combining genetics,and healthy living,will be with us for some time yet.

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread