Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineHe Was My Brother

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Ian
Dec-02-2008, 06:21 GMT
Norway

Hi Folks,for someone who has been listening to,and playing the music of PS & S&G on the guitar for many years,I´m embarrassed to ask this question. Is Paul playing a 12 string on ´He Was My Brother´ from the ´Live from New York City,1967´ CD? It sounds like it to me,but I could be wrong. I have just rediscovered this CD,this little treasure,and am so impressed with Paul´s guitar accompaniment on virtually every song. Most people will elect ´Anji´ as the greatest example of his guitar talent,and while that song does have it´s more complex parts,I think you could take his playing on any of these songs and study it in detail,as a good example of a talented guitar arranger/player,working at his best. You can certainly see how he developed the snaky,circular guitar lines from ´Surprise´ when you consider how well he played at such a young age,on the ´Live from New York City,1967´ album.

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 402 ]

Ell
Dec-02-2008, 09:20 GMT
United Kingdom

Hi Ian

I´ll have to have a listen when I get the chance.
I have played (tried to play) Paul Simon songs on acoustic since becoming a fan. My favourite early song of Pauls, as a guitarist, is ´Kathy´s Song´ - the ´live´ one on Greatest Hits. I have tried to emulate his style ever since and I think it has made me a better player amongst my guitar playing counterparts.
I think he plays a six string on HWMB on the Holland and Canadian TV shows but worth having another look.

Jeroen
Dec-02-2008, 10:27 GMT
Netherlands

I don´t own that recording, but doesn´t he play a 12-string, drop D: D - Dsus2 - C/D - D - Bm - G (substituting Em occasionally) Asus4 - A7? He uses his free fingers to hammer on some embellishments but most important is to get a hang of the rhythm.

Ian
Dec-02-2008, 10:28 GMT
Unknown

Thanks Ell,it´s funny,but when ´The Simon and Garfunkel Collection´ was released in 1982,my initial reaction to the sleeve was that it can´t´ve been S&G in the picture because Paul was carrying a twelve string,and Paul was usually synonymous with 6 strings. Later,there was doubt about the authenticity of that picture,but it had nothing to do with guitars as far as I know. The reason I bring all this up,is a conversation I had with a guy yesterday about who is the better guitarist,Paul Simon or Bob Dylan? Maybe Dylan plays with more ´Freewheelin´ fire and abandon,but Paul plays with delicacy and exactness and has a far wider musical scope to draw his inspiration from. Anyway,sorry,I´m preaching to the converted I guess.

Jeroen
Dec-02-2008, 10:30 GMT
Netherlands

Sorry, you obviously weren´t looking for the chords. I thinks I need my glasses.

Ian
Dec-02-2008, 10:37 GMT
Unknown

Yeah Jeroen,that is essentially what I play,but just with six strings. Works either way I guess.

Belle
Dec-02-2008, 10:47 GMT
Unknown

The only 12-string that I knew & seen him perform on, was "For Emily Wherever I May Find Her"

Ian
Dec-02-2008, 11:43 GMT
Unknown

Hi Belle,he also uses a 12 string on TOLBINY and HCYLITNE on recent tours,though I´m not sure if he used them on the studio versions.

Ell
Dec-02-2008, 14:46 GMT
United Kingdom

I think it is safe to say it is definitely not S&G on the cover of The S&G Collection. I read somewhere that it´s a couple of guys pictured on the Welsh coast and the album was rushed out to cash in on CP81.

Ell
Dec-02-2008, 14:52 GMT
United Kingdom

By the way Ian - I think your spot on with the Dylan/Simon thing. Dylans good but kinda untidy!

SimonD.
Dec-04-2008, 17:04 GMT
United Kingdom

Paul also employs a 12 string on the master take of a "A Church Is Burning" on the "Songbook" album.
Where you will also hear a far more passionate rendering of "He Was My Brother", than the one diluted by Arties harmonies on Live NYC 1967. More fitting to the background to the song.

Scaaty
Dec-04-2008, 18:04 GMT
Ireland

Where you will also hear a far more passionate rendering of "He Was My Brother", than the one diluted by Arties harmonies on Live NYC 1967. More fitting to the background to the song.

You could nearly apply that statement to all of the songs of the songbook album - when I first heard it the hairs on the back of my neck stood!! Move over Bob Dylan!

Ans
Dec-04-2008, 19:34 GMT
Netherlands

If you want to see Paul playing the 12 string guitar, he used it a lot at the Old Friends tour 2003/2004 on the songs: Hazy Shade Of Winter, Slip Sliding Away, Keep The Customer Satisfied, TOLBINY.

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread