www.paul-simon.info 
The neck of my Guitar

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread

Bottom

Headline"Incurable disease? " (Open bio content)

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

neongoddess
Nov-16-2008, 23:05 GMT
USA - United Staates America

The open bio on this site says the following:

"One instance of discomfort came on a BBC TV interview. Asked for a reason for reuniting and touring [after the 1982 reunion tour], Simon suggested that Art had an incurable disease."

I´ve never heard this before. Did Paul really say it? And if so, why?

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 365 ]

Jon
Nov-16-2008, 23:18 GMT

haha it was probably a joke and i find it damn funny

that´s one of will ferrell´s lines, when being asked if he would rather have mad cow or being the top comedian (a line from a great Old SNL sketch of his)

he says mad cow,because he´s always wanted an incurable disease

Bodo
Nov-17-2008, 15:45 GMT
Austria

Can someone confirm that BBC interview?

Ell
Nov-17-2008, 16:47 GMT
United Kingdom

This may have been said in jest on a BBC ´Nationwide´ programme that ran in the UK in the 80´s.
The interview was broadcast live on April 19th 1982 when S&G announced the London concert for June 19th. (don´t have this appearance on vhs!)
I think it may be mentioned in an official Biography though?
Still looking��.

Ian
Nov-18-2008, 03:15 GMT
Unknown

Hi Ell,this is a bit off topic,but u mentioned the June 19th 1982 S&G gig at Wembley. Did u attend that concert? I saw them on the same tour[almost a year later] in Brisbane,and it was soooo good! It was the first concert by anybody that I ever saw. The Wembley gig must have been something. I´d Love to hear your reminiscences about it. As for the ´incurable disease´ comment,I´m sure if it was made it´d be a fairly well known Paul Simon Quote,but I don´t ever remember reading it. It does sound like Paul though...

neongoddess
Nov-18-2008, 07:42 GMT

Well if he was joking I guess that would make sense. I´d like to hear it in context. I´m sure it was funny...probably was, anyway.

Ell
Nov-18-2008, 11:47 GMT
United Kingdom

To my knowledge, the ´Nationwide´ interview is the only one S&G did for BBC TV, - post CP81 - or ever?
I think I have all the other Paul Simon BBC TV interviews - post CP81- and he doesn´t say this on any of them.
A 1982 article in ´Record Collector´ mentions the ´Nationwide´ interview with Paul being cynical and indifferent towards the new partnership - I don´t recall it that way, strangely enough!
Ofcourse, It would be interesting for the contributor of this biography piece to explain its source.

Hi Ian - I will e-mail you with my recollections of Wembley.

Ian
Nov-19-2008, 03:22 GMT
Unknown

Hi Ell,thank you for the reply. I´ll look forward to the email. My email address can be found at the database of course. Thanks again.

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread