www.paul-simon.info 
The neck of my Guitar

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineArt Garfunkel´s voice on ´Cars are Cars´??

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

Ian
Nov-12-2008, 09:18 GMT
Unknown

Hi,for years whenever I listen to the Hearts And Bones album,I´m positive that on ´Cars Are Cars´ at exactly 2:44 into the song,on the word ´world´,I can hear Art Garfunkel´s voice singing part of the background vocal. When Paul wiped Artie´s vocals off the tracks,either by microphone leakage,or ´print through´ on the master tape,I´m sure just a little bit was left behind. Apart from The Harptones on ´Rene and Georgette´,all background vocals on the album are by PS himself,just as he´s done before and since on other albums/songs. On Cars are Cars though,it´s just one word,and no more than a second,but it sounds like AG to my ears. Have a listen?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 489 ]

Bodo
Nov-12-2008, 13:15 GMT
Austria

I think you can not take the word ´wiped´ literaly, but I will have a listen.

Bodo
Nov-12-2008, 13:23 GMT
Austria

for me the woooo ooo oorld part sounds like Pauls voice

Ian
Nov-12-2008, 14:16 GMT
Norway

I mean,it does have to be Paul´s voice of course. Knowing the animosity between them at that point,I´m sure Paul wouldn´t have allowed an AG contribution[even a one word contribution as the one I´m speculating on],and I´m pretty sure Art would´ve wanted a credit too. It´s like one of those annoying pictures where one moment you swear you´re looking at a sillouette of an Old lady with a huge nose,but with the blink of an eye it appears to change into a profile of young woman wearing a bonnet! Sometimes it´s Paul,sometimes Artie. For me anyway. Not important of course. Speaking of the Hearts And Bones album,can anybody tell me if there was ever a video clip made for the song Think Too Much(a)?

Bodo
Nov-12-2008, 16:18 GMT
Austria

I have seen pictures of that video clip, but never the clip itself. Maybe it was only a clip from a spanish TV station for this song? (Because the people on thedreamerofmusic had these pictures, and the clip on VHS)

Anyway...there is also this mysterious Outrageous clip, I´ve never seen on TV - it only appeared on the UK Paul Simon Warner page...

Ian
Nov-12-2008, 17:04 GMT
Unknown

Hi Bodo,is this the video you mean? I actually can´t view this myself currently,but it can´t be a very long video judging by the size of the file. http://www.musicomh.com/music/videos/paul-simon_11
06.htm
I apologize if that link doesn´t work.

Russ
Nov-12-2008, 18:51 GMT
United Kingdom

what did happen in 83?
what did they fall out about that time?
hope your all well out there.
R.x

Ian
Nov-12-2008, 21:15 GMT
Norway

Hi Russ,after Central Park 81 they attempted to make the reunion complete by firstly,touring the world,and secondly,recording and releasing a brand new studio album called ´Think Too Much´. The tour went ahead for the next year and a half,with sporadic studio sessions interspersed between breaks in the tour and the album was supposed to be released before the final leg of the tour kicked off in Akron,Ohio. The trouble was that the stresses of the tour brought Old issues to the surface again,no doubt exacerbated by the constant media speculation that there were ALREADY signs of trouble. Somewhere around August 83,or a little earlier Paul decided to erase Art´s vocals from the recordings and make the proposed ´Think Too Much´ S&G album into a solo album called ´Hearts And Bones´. So the short answer to ´What where they arguing about in 1983´ would be ´the same thing they always argued about´ I guess. Sort of makes the rest of my answer a little unnecessary doesn´t it?

Bodo
Nov-12-2008, 21:45 GMT
Austria

yes it is

Ian
Nov-12-2008, 23:59 GMT
Unknown

Sorry Bodo,I had 20 minutes to fill...

Bodo  
Nov-13-2008, 11:58 GMT
Austria

Why are you sorry? No problem at all... I did not know that the video still exists somewhere on the web.
I wonder if we will ever get a high resolution version of it.

mog
Nov-13-2008, 15:07 GMT
Canada

I am happy that H&B was released as a solo record.

This way, S&G are remember for their best, parting at their pinnacle (BOTW).

H&B with S&G would have sold better than the solo record, but chances are that it would have still been a flop.

Ian
Nov-14-2008, 07:33 GMT
Norway

I´m not so sure it would have been a flop Mog. I too am glad it was a solo Simon album,but at the time there was huge expectations from fans and critics alike for the first S&G album in 13 years. As for Hearts And Bones,I waited impatiently for the album,and was fortunate enough to get an advance copy on cassette from my brother who was a radio announcer at the time. The shops in the city where I live didn´t even bother getting copies of Hearts and and Bones in to put on theirs shelves,and Warners did next to nothing to promote the album either. I´m sure that if it had been the proposed S&G album,it would have sold at least as well as the tickets to the concerts did in 82,83! Still happy it was a solo album though,I must say.

Ans
Nov-14-2008, 07:57 GMT
Netherlands

Paul made the right decision. Imagine what it could have done to his career. Probably no Graceland, ROTS, CP91 etc.

The S&G fans would have wanted a new album again and again. Paul would not have had the chance to evolve himself as he did now.

Ian
Nov-14-2008, 09:43 GMT
Unknown

Absolutely Ans,musically and lyrically Hearts And Bones,is an album that was looking foreward,not back. It proves perhaps that Paul is not as calculating and money driven as some accuse him of being. An album with AG would have been a huge seller,but Paul made his decision with an eye on artistic credibility,not on his bank account.

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread