Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineMiriam Makeba is dead

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

Bodo
Nov-15-2008, 23:34 GMT
Austria

Well, the reason I thought so is also, that in 2002 when Paul and Miriam Makeba played at the same concert on the same day in Pori, there could have been a appearance together. I asked Bakithi if they will maybe do a duet together, just a week before the show - and his answer was very short and straight: No, no he would not do that! It was somehow said that I tought I don´t want to ask the reasons about it, and for me Bakithi wanted to end the talk about Makeba. (although he was very very happy when I first asked him about Miriam Makeba and his relation to here)

You know - it is not so that Paul is not doing surprising duets together with other artists (Paul McCartney 2001 for examply...or in London 2000 Scarborough fair..) So the answer: Paul would not do that would not make sense, if it is just because he does not like doing duets.

Anyway, that is just one story, and a long time ago - but I remembered it now. I also guess he made his condolences, but somehow I also expected he would do something official. They toured on 2 tours in 1987 and 1989 together, so why not... But maybe travelling to south africa was really not possible in such a short time - or Nobody there thought about inventing Paul...whatever.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 466 ]

Ans
Nov-16-2008, 12:42 GMT
Netherlands

Hmm, reading your story maybe they had trouble in their friendship, that would be sad indeed. But on the other hand, it has to fitt in the programm of the Festival. Paul worked with so many other stars/musicians in his career. On the North Sea Jazz Festival in the Netherlands this year Paul could have made an appearance with Herbie Hancock, because Herbie played songs from his album Possibilities where he also worked with Paul but there was no way it would fitt in the programm of the Festival.(I would have loved it though)

Also his time schedule could have something to do with the fact he could not make the trip to South Africa, having the interview at Barnes & Noble and next Tuesday his appearance at Colbert Report.

Bodo
Nov-16-2008, 14:57 GMT
Austria

Yes I am sure it has to do something with his time scedule too. Maybe sometimes it is just the wish (in me) that wants him to do some more public things - for a broader audience too. (You know, this Barnes and Nobles appearance was very intimate somehow)
I sometimes have a feeling it would be great if there is for example a tribute to Paul´s 60th birthday...or closer 70th now - and also that he plays at a tribute to Old Friends like Miriam Makeba. But he prefers to stay private...

Ans
Nov-16-2008, 18:16 GMT
Netherlands

You´re right, a tribute would be great but I doubt Paul wants that for his birthday. You could look at the Gershwin Prize 2007 as a tribute with some great performances or Musicares 2001 and the induction into the Rock ´n´ Roll Hall of Fame 2001.
Paul´s contributions to tributes of other stars were always great to see. FE Surfer Girl at the Brian Wilson tribute and another one I liked very much was at the sixtiest birthday party of Willie Nelson together with Edie.

Cécilia
Dec-08-2008, 02:41 GMT
France

I´ve found photos of Paul at a tribute concert for Miriam Makeba on flickr.com : http://www.flickr.com/photos/cynthiaedorh/sets/721
57609302053154/detail/

The concert was held on November 16th in Le Poisson Rouge in New York, on Bleecker Street : http://lepoissonrouge.inticketing.com/evinfo.php?e
ventid=29902

Ian
Dec-08-2008, 04:30 GMT
Unknown

Thanks for the pics etc,Cecilia. It´s nice that Paul was there,but I´m now left wondering why his name wasn´t on the list of featured performers. Maybe,it was just a case of them not knowing for sure if Paul would be able to make it.

Lara
Dec-08-2008, 17:46 GMT
Italy

Oh yes, thank you very much Cecilia! Without Paul something was missing.

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread