Bottom

HeadlineMiriam Makeba is dead

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

Kuno
Nov-10-2008, 08:11 GMT
Switzerland

Hi

I sadly report that Miriam Makeba died yesterday.

That´s really sad !

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 977 ]

Ian
Nov-10-2008, 08:59 GMT
Norway

That is sad. My sympathies to her family,friends,and fans all over the world. How Old was Miriam? She was wonderful at the Graceland concert I saw in 1987. At the time,I did not know the songs that she and Hugh Masakela performed,but I can remember her voice and his trumpet,barely needing a P.A. to carry them to the audience. Very powerful,emotional and very sad.

Nath
Nov-10-2008, 09:26 GMT
France

She died just after a concert against the mafia in Italy.
I had seen her in 1987 too during the Graceland tour and she was wonderful. She was very famous in France.

Ian
Nov-10-2008, 09:55 GMT
Norway

Hi Nath,didn´t Miriam reside in France after being unfairly exiled from South Africa? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Bodo
Nov-10-2008, 10:06 GMT
Austria

How sad.

I saw here in 2004 in Salzburg...and there she already said that she will stop touring. And the last years I always was reading that this is here last concert now.
Well - It is great to hear she never retired and still was working on a new album!
But she died too young. 76, thats not a age to die for a Old woman today.

Hm...just yesterday in the evening I heard Pata Pata on the radio and told my girlfriend that I saw this woman in concert. Strange how things happens.

I hope Paul will become much older - and also never retires.

Guido
Nov-10-2008, 10:24 GMT
Italy

It is a long, long time I do now write here, but I think that few lines are due.
Miriam Makeba, aged 76, died after a concert in Castel Volturno. For those who can read Italian:
http://www.lastampa.it/redazione/cmsSezioni/cronac
he/200811articoli/38040girata.asp

The concert was done to support Roberto Saviano, journalist and writer, living hidden since he was 27, because of his book "Gomorra" describing in detail the system of camorra, the Naples version of mafia. The reading of the book, although not pleasant, is highly recommended. A movie was recently shot from the book.
Miriam was a great musician, deeply learnt in South African roots, although she lived in exile for about 30 years. If you are interested in her work as a folk singer, you can check the album "Sangoma"; if you are more interested in her mainstream work, there are plenty of compilations including the mot famous songs: Pata Pata, The Click song, Soweto Blues...
She played a relevant role (together with Hugh Masakela and Harry Belafonte) in helping Simon to make up his mind and do "Graceland".
For my part, I keep in my memory and in my heart the acoustic rendition of "Under African Skies" she performed with Paul on February 7th, 1987. That was a show stopper. Later in that tour, they performed a full arrangement (like on the Harare concert), while at first it was only Paul on guitar. The naked simplicity of that moment could trigger huge emotions.
Let´s play some of her music today.

Guido
Nov-10-2008, 10:30 GMT
Italy

It is a long, long time I do now write here, but I think that few lines are due.
Miriam Makeba, aged 76, died after a concert in Castel Volturno. For those who can read Italian:
http://www.lastampa.it/redazione/cmsSezioni/cronac
he/200811articoli/38040girata.asp

The concert was done to support Roberto Saviano, journalist and writer, living hidden since he was 27, because of his book "Gomorra" describing in detail the system of camorra, the Naples version of mafia. The reading of the book, although not pleasant, is highly recommended. A movie was recently shot from the book.
Miriam was a great musician, deeply learnt in South African roots, although she lived in exile for about 30 years. If you are interested in her work as a folk singer, you can check the album "Sangoma"; if you are more interested in her mainstream work, there are plenty of compilations including the mot famous songs: Pata Pata, The Click song, Soweto Blues...
She played a relevant role (together with Hugh Masakela and Harry Belafonte) in helping Simon to make up his mind and do "Graceland".
For my part, I keep in my memory and in my heart the acoustic rendition of "Under African Skies" she performed with Paul on February 7th, 1987. That was a show stopper. Later in that tour, they performed a full arrangement (like on the Harare concert), while at first it was only Paul on guitar. The naked simplicity of that moment could trigger huge emotions.
Let´s play some of her music today.

Nath
Nov-10-2008, 17:46 GMT
France

Yes Ian, you are right : she used to live in France.

Lara
Nov-10-2008, 18:25 GMT
Italy

Immediately this morning when I´ve heard the new I´ve taken my brochure from the 1987 Graceland tour hoping to find few comforting words. This is what I´ve found:
"I am a singer, not a politician or diplomat. But since I was exiled from my home, South Africa, every song I sing becomes a statement that echoes the hopes and aspirations of my people.
The songs that I sing are meant to express the cries of rage and pain of a lot of people who have been denied their rights as human beings, once in the name of colonialism and now in the name of apartheid. Ever since the settlers came to my country many years ago, my people have had to create songs that mirror their sufferings while at the same time expressing their happiness and joy.
When people ask me why there is joy in my voice I always explain that mostly the joy is because I know someday we will be free.
Historically African music is joyous music. The rhythms reflect the different moods of a people, a culture as diverse as the rivers of the Nile. The pulsating rhythms can be expressing the prancing of a springbok over the tall grass on a sunny day, or the steady beating of the ceremonial drums beneath the bright gold moon, and the soft melody of the lullaby a mother sings to a child she puts to bed inside a round clay hut at the end of the day.
These rhythms know no time but they belong to a special place, Africa. It is my greatest joy to bring them to you. And I am proud to be a part of this wonderful tour, which continues to spread the music, culture and spirit of South Africa to people all over the world.
Love to you all
Miriam Makeba "

io
Nov-10-2008, 22:40 GMT
Italy

She has died singing for freedom, her whole life was a song of freedom. Thank you Miriam.

Nikki
Nov-10-2008, 23:12 GMT
France

Thank you Guido and Lara for your lovely words. I must admit I don´t know much of Miriam´s own music at all but I´ll certainly play Graceland tonight.

Cécilia
Nov-11-2008, 01:27 GMT
France

I saw Miriam Makeba in 1989 during the second Graceland Tour. It was my first Paul Simon concert and what a great concert it was...

It´s very sad...

Scaaty
Nov-11-2008, 18:51 GMT
Ireland

Thanks to Lara, I realised I still have the programm of the Graceland concert. In it was a newspaper review of the concert. this is what it said about Miriam Makeba:
"Under African Skies" was a duet with Miriam Makeba. Tall and black next to the diminutive Simon, and singing in a sweet high register, she looked like Art Garfunkel in negative"
The article finishes with "Music played for the joy of music, it was one of the best concerts Dublin has seen"

And I was there.

May these words of Paul Simons apply to Miriam

I am heading for a time of quiet
When my restlessness is past
And I can lie down on my blanket
And release my fists at last

I am heading for a time of solitude
Of peace without illusions
When the perfect circle
Marries all beginnings and conclusions

Bodo
Nov-15-2008, 16:50 GMT
Austria

Is Paul not giving his tribute to Miriam Makeba? How sad. I thought they have been good friends since Graceland.
Today was Makebas tribute celebration in south africa...many musicians there, also Hugh Masekela.

"After the song she thanked the audience, blew kisses at them with a radiant smile and left the stage. As she went past me, she put the mic on the drum. As she went down the stairs, she fell."

Ans
Nov-15-2008, 18:54 GMT
Netherlands

Why are you instantly assuming they were not friends anymore? You don´t know the reason why Paul wasn´t there, I´m sure he made his condolences to the family.

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread