www.paul-simon.info 
The neck of my Guitar

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlinePaul´s newest music,what do you think?

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Ian
Nov-07-2008, 09:28 GMT
Australia

Hi everyone,I´m just a little curious what everyone thinks of Paul´s latest song[Love in Hard Times]? I personally like it a lot. If this song is an example of part of his future musical leanings,will it alienate fans who may prefer the more rhythmic,uptempo side of Paul´s music. I´m not saying all his future music will be reflective,thoughtful,sophisticated guitar pieces with strange harmonies,but LIHT is certainly that,as were Can I Forgive Him? and even Night Game,both of which I too enjoy. Any opinions?

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 404 ]

mog
Nov-07-2008, 15:23 GMT
Canada

I do not like it.

Beginning a song by "God and his only son paid a courtesy call on earth one Sunday morning" is an immediate turn off for me.

Ian
Nov-07-2008, 16:54 GMT
Unknown

Thanks for your comment Mog. Interesting. Is it the word ´God´ or the ´absurd´ notion that God and his son would pay a courtesy call? I´m not saying it´s an excellent line or anything,but is it any less becoming than ´The cross is in the ball park´,a line I do Love? I was actually talking about the music side of things though. When I was about 17 or so,when all my friends were listening to Bananarama,Rick Astley,and whatever other frightening music that terrified me in those days,I used to fight a continually losing battle to open my friends to the music of Paul Simon. Actually I used to go out of my way to play them the Simon songs that were the catchiest of his catalogue,avoiding at all costs,songs like ´Hearts And Bones´ or ´Rene and Georgette...´ etc,fearing they would be immediately turned off by the slow tempos & soft guitars. What a foolish move on my part! Paul has said recently that the pop song is an ´exhausted form´,and I think this new song is his attempt to break new ground,musically anyway.

mog
Nov-07-2008, 19:58 GMT
Canada

Actually, I should wait the studio version of the song before make any judgment per say.

Yes, I am not very keen on the religious stuff in general.

I am trying also to track down PS position on the matter. In "Old", he says Bible and Coran are the best stories ever told (?!)*, then there is "I don´t believe" from Surprise who sends me a different message. Not counting "The Teacher", about religious messianism.

I might have my answer I guess with this new other song "The Closed Eyes of God"...

Anyway, in Love and Hard Times, the God thing might not be necessarily to be taken as literal since it is used for songwriting purposes.

By the way, I love "Can I Forgive Him" ! The line about you need to be Jesus on the cross to open your heart after such a loss...wow !

* There is something I want to check...do we know if Paul sang "Old" live after 9/11 ? If not, is there any link with 9/11 ?

Scaaty
Nov-07-2008, 21:45 GMT
Ireland

"Bible and Koran the Islamic holy book. I think Paul believes in an higher being, and has great respect for ( and understanding of) all expressions of faith without adhering to any particular one. I particularly like the phrase God and His only Son etc as this reflects the simplicity of the original Christmas story of God being among and one of Man.

Nikki
Nov-08-2008, 02:05 GMT
France

I think there was a discussion about this when the song first came out (or the bootleg at least). For my part I do like it. I def don´t think it´s going to become my favourite PS song but as with all of his songs there´s a lot of depth and richness to it both lyrically and musically. I agree completely with what Scaaty said about the ´religious´ tendencies in Paul´s more recent work - I think it´s just a stage of life he´s going through, much more contemplative on a spiritual level and as with all of his songs he´s just saying whatever comes into his mind. The other thing I like about the new song is that even though it´s not catchy, there are certain parts which I find extremely beautiful and moving, both in the music and the words - especially the ´I loved her the first time I saw her´ verse and the last lines ´Thank God I found you in time´ - I like the raw and simple sincerity, something we don´t always find in his complex music.

Ian
Nov-08-2008, 03:52 GMT
Norway

Hi Nikki,what I like I think about this song,is that with a little close inspecting,there are true little lyrical and musical jewels to be found. For example,the descending guitar figure that opens the song is immediately attractive to me. The melody that supports the line ´There are galaxies yet to be born´ is just gorgeous to my ears,as is the bluesy repeat of the ´Loved her the first time I saw her´ line. I can´t wait to hear the studio recording of it,though I can´t envision an arrangement of the song that will be greatly changed from the bootleg version. Just have to wait I suppose. Anyway,I´m beginning to melt in this Australian heat,so I´m off to find something cool to do. Bye.

Webster
Nov-09-2008, 16:44 GMT
Germany

This is the first thing I hear about a new Paul Simon song. On which CD can I find that song "Love in Hard Times"?
Thanks for info.

Bodo
Nov-09-2008, 17:09 GMT
Austria

the song has been played live this summer. So thats why people wonder how it might sound on a record...

Webster
Nov-09-2008, 17:14 GMT
Germany

I see. Thank you Bodo for your quick reply.

fubel
Nov-09-2008, 20:13 GMT
Germany

"Greatest story ever told" doesn´t mean that Paul beleaves in God or that Paul is religous. It simply means that the bible and the coran are the greatest storys. And a story can be wonderful but the most time a story isn´t true.

Nikki
Nov-09-2008, 22:13 GMT
France

Lol and if you really in Norway Ian you´d be turning into an icicle! I´m glad to find another PS fan from back home :) Yes those two lines you mention are gorgeous. It´s been a while since I heard the song, I think I´ll try relistening.

Ian
Nov-10-2008, 06:20 GMT
Unknown

Hi Nikki,lovely day today,just a few degrees can make all the difference. An occasional breeze filtered through those icicles would be Appreciated otherwise. Yes Nikki,I´m always surprised to see other Australian fans on this forum,I wish there were more. Nikki,when Paul last played shows in Australia in late 91,he played usually in the Entertainment Centres,which hold 12,13 thousand people. Do u think if we´re fortunate enough to have him play Australasia again,that he will be able to pull those numbers again,or will it be the smaller venues this time around? I personally would go to a Paul Simon gig,no matter what size,but I would hate for him to have to endure the unfitting embarrassment of not being able to fill the venues,that this living legend should be able to. I think 5000 seaters would be nice.

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread