Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlinePaul the comedian

Page: [1] [2] [3]

AuthorComment

Ian  
Nov-05-2008, 22:50 GMT
Unknown

No Eli,your first guess maybe correct and it is one explanation I´ve entertained before. My friend who accompanied me to the concert though,and who was not a fan,still maintains that it was meant as a joke. I do remember Paul didn´t speak the words with any sense of gravity that I can recall,but I still believe you are correct. I´ve got to admit that at 15 I didn´t even know what Russian Roullette was until I asked an adult fan after the concert,who was also a little mystified by what Paul meant! On a much funnier note,when Paul appeared on the Ellen Degeneres show and she asked him why it took 6 years between albums,Paul replied ´Aah,I was thinking´. I Love the guy.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 270 ]

Bodo
Nov-05-2008, 22:55 GMT
Austria

Well, what I can contribute. On the YTO shows in 2000 he said nearly exact the same words (as on the DVD), and it is definately not meant as a joke.

But you know, Pauls face always has this kind of nice guy smile, even when he is saying sad things. So you could interpret him wrong... :)

Ian
Nov-06-2008, 00:47 GMT
Unknown

Yes I agree with that too Bodo. Obviously on the DVD it is not meant as a joke,but even with similar words spoken at the two events,his delivery was totally different at the concert I saw. I´ll just chalk it up to ´You had to be there´ I guess. I have read also Paul saying that by the time the tour got to Australia,tensions between he and Art were very great with a lot of open hostility. It was an absolutely fantastic night though and there were a couple more,lets say,less ambiguously funny moments,I don´t have time to write about at the moment. I´ll post them later...

Klausi
Nov-12-2008, 07:00 GMT
Germany

At the beginning of CP 81, he thanked "the guys who are selling loose joints are giving the city half of their income tonight".

At CP 91 he only named the musicians and wished "have a sweet and peaceful night" at the end.

But he interrupted in the middle of "Proof" to say:

"It was a Cloudy day, we thought it was going to be a thunderstorm. The sun came out and it is a perfect night - in New York City."

And I think it was.

Scaaty
Nov-12-2008, 21:00 GMT
Ireland

Its funny how Paul talks a lot at a S&G concert and hardly says a word during his solo performances!

Klausi
Nov-13-2008, 08:46 GMT
Germany

Yes, Scaaty, except 1980 and 1984.

In 1983 David Letterman asked him:
"Did AG ever get on your nerves?"

"He always gets on my nerves, no ... periodically ... when I say periodically I mean, when we are together, then every day."

Ian
Nov-13-2008, 09:40 GMT
Norway

Klausi,lol. Do you have a transcript of that Letterman appearance,or have you seen the video?

Jon
Nov-13-2008, 10:12 GMT
USA - United Staates America

in the middle of Proof during the ´91 LA concert he said...

"Dodgers 3 Giants 2, at this moment....Richard Tee is ectatic!...Look at Richard..."

obviously, Richard was a Dodger fan....This piece got a huge ovation from the LA crowd

Klausi
Nov-13-2008, 11:10 GMT
Germany

Ian, have seen the video, is not a rarity, should be available somewhere (ebay, youtube).

Ian
Nov-13-2008, 13:57 GMT
Norway

Thanks Klausi,I´ll have a look around.

Klausi
Jan-29-2009, 15:18 GMT
Germany

I don`t like prepared humorous statements too much, otherwise his lyrics are carefully prepared too.

Apart from his already mentioned leading role and supporting role of AG in Alice in... he made several statements about his estimation in public.

In the 90`s he said he and Dylan are the most important living American songwriters, which I think is true if you take those beginning in the early sixties.

Nobody will argue if one prefers Springsteen or others who became famous later.

In the NBC-Special of 1978 he prefered the underestimation, not known by the guy at the reception, needing a recognition as "The Paul -Bridge Over Troubled Water- Simon Special", having an audience because of a scheduling mistake of about 40 people before.

This is somehow continued (and boring?) in One-Trick Pony and more funny in the story he told in 1984 during the 12-city tour.

At the airport he heard a couple talking "Isn`t that Paul Simon?" The partner replied: "Far from it".

And he added, that he knew exactly what the answer meant. Quite sure the story was invented or at least changed, as the true story of the line "I can call you Betty... and You Can Call Me Al."

Comes from a party when he and his ex-wife Peggy were called Betty and Al by a then famous actor in the late sixties.

Used again in the Special and in One-Trick Pony as Joe resp. Al by woman not making the impression of intelligence.

Suzi
Jan-29-2009, 19:09 GMT
USA - United Staates America

I liked the story he told during his Surprise tour about his daughter playing at the art table in the kitchen and getting paint all over herself. When he said to her -- we´re going to be in trouble with mom but you don´t care do you? First she said yes she did and then she said no I don´t care. He seemed to really enjoy the story.

Ans
Jan-29-2009, 19:34 GMT
Netherlands

Hi Paul,

I have deleted your messages. The best thing you can do before you post a long message is to write it first in Word and then copy it to the forum. This way you can read it through before you post it and it will not get lost which can also happen.

Paul
Jan-29-2009, 19:56 GMT
Unknown

Hello Ans!
Thank you very much..
I ALWAYS use Notepad using this forum and sure that familiar with internet more than you..
Why have you deleted all and left my description post? Delete it, please.
Thanks.

Paul
Jan-29-2009, 21:32 GMT
Unknown

yes sir :)

Page: [1] [2] [3]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread