Bottom

HeadlinePaul the comedian

Page: [1] [2] [3]

AuthorComment

Bodo  
Nov-01-2008, 11:53 GMT
Austria

Hi

I want to dedicate a page or thread (let´s see what will come out) to Pauls humour. So I ask you: What where Paul´s best jokes or answers in interviews, or TV shows or whatever you find?
Just write down what you remember (maybe with the source or year)
I think that could be funny.

Bodo

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 547 ]

Jupira  
Nov-01-2008, 12:24 GMT
Brazil

Bodo,if videos are included,put the one with the cellphones. Its the funniest scene i ever seen...
Do you know if some cell company was sponsoring the show?? ;-)
( i cant ask the author at this moment, i dont remember my youtube password...)

Bodo
Nov-01-2008, 13:02 GMT
Austria

Hello Jupira - could you please post what Paul said? I mean the dialogue.
I don´t want to make a list of links to some videos or whatever, just the short dialogues. (2-3 lines)

I will start with this classical one:
When Paul played 50 ways at a live show in Cleveland 1980, he forgot the lyrics during the song. So he stopped and said:
5 bucks to everybody who knows the 2nd verse

Rosie
Nov-01-2008, 14:23 GMT
Ireland

Whats that a no smoking sign? they´re only concerned for your health :D

get these security guards outta here, let these kids boogey

Kelly Shew
Nov-01-2008, 17:18 GMT
United Kingdom

oh i Love on the simon and garfunkel Old Friends when hes talking about the cheeshire cat and white rabbit role - "i was the white rabbit- its a leading role... and arts position was a ... supporting role" ... or " when we first joined our group i wanted to call us garfunkel and simon... you should do that!"

it sounds crap when i write it down... i found it funny anyway!

Lara
Nov-01-2008, 17:28 GMT
Italy

from The Independent may 26th 2006: "....But now he is content, and there are no problems with that other important relationship either, the one with Art Garfunkel. It ended with a little acrimony at the start of the Seventies, but showed them in great form on a reunion tour two years ago, even if Garfunkel did say that this was the 50th anniversary of their first meeting, only for Paul to interject, deadpan, that it made it the 48th anniversary of when they started arguing...."

Nikki
Nov-01-2008, 17:58 GMT
France

Yes I LOVE that anedocte!! Lol I want to rewatch the dvd now. It´s not in the words themselves, it´s in his completely deadpan voice and rhythm of speech and the expression on his face.

Nikki
Nov-01-2008, 18:00 GMT
France

By the way, great idea Bodo!

Scaaty
Nov-01-2008, 23:04 GMT
Ireland

Except that they said at every concert of the reunion tour so by the time I got to hear it in Dublin it was passe.

When asked what was it like to be a "legend" Paul´s response was well I get up, get the breakfast, drive the kids to school, on the way back think about being a legend, put out the garbage etc etc.

that would be my moment!

Klausi
Nov-02-2008, 08:19 GMT
Germany

In 1980 he played London Hammersmith Odeon three nights.

The third night when he asked if there were any questions (he did this every evening on this tour),
someone shouted, "Yeah, buy me a drink!".

Simon: "Sure, I`ll buy you ALL a drink."

And he did during the intermission, spending a thousand pounds or more.

Klausi
Nov-02-2008, 08:44 GMT
Germany

In 1983 Simon had said to an interviewer "I think I have a superior brain and an inferior stature."

Weeks later in TV this was quoted again in a news show and the woman asked him, whether he suffers from his height.

Simon said "Yes."

The woman expected some more explanations like Yes, but...

Didn`t happen, Simon repeated: "Yes."

A few seconds later he "released" her and added "well I`m rethinking about the superior brain".

Normally Simon is not spontaneous during interviews, speaking very slowly, carefully avoiding wrong statements.

Ans
Nov-02-2008, 14:44 GMT
Netherlands

A long story but very funny.

At Good Morning America in February 2003 Paul was interviewed by Diana Saywer because the song F&D was nominated for an Oscar. First Diana said how they watched the Grammy Awards where S&G performed to see if they liked each other again like they used to watch Prince Charles and Princess Diana, Paul said: "I don´t even want to ask the question, Who is Diana?"
Then Diana Saywer told how Art said that he and Paul got a couple of drinks and got cosey again, Paul shaked his head and said: "No, I don´t drink."
After Paul´s explanation that the friendship was repaired Diana got to the nomination of the Oscars and how stupefied she was that Mrs. Robinson was not nominated. Paul said they didn´t fill in the paperwork which was needed to accept the nomination. Diana said, that´s not possible, what where you doing that you didn´t have time to fill in the paperwork? Paul said: "It was Mike Nichol´s fault". Diana laughed and went further that it was the sixties, hé man, you just didn´t fill in the paperwork.... Paul said: "Mike was in the sixties too."

After this very funny conversation Paul played the song F&D with his band.

Joey
Nov-02-2008, 15:55 GMT
Canada

It´s funny because Mike Nichols is Diane Sawyer´s husband...

Ans  
Nov-02-2008, 16:47 GMT
Netherlands

Right, now you mention it I remember.

Markie
Nov-02-2008, 18:25 GMT
United Kingdom

Good Topic.

I liked it when Paul was on Later with Jools Holland in 2006. Paul was talking about the time when he and David Gilmour were playing together at a party in Oxford in 1964. Jools said
" Oh! Almost part of Pink Floyd were you?"
Paul Said "No. We was almost Simon and Gildmour!"

Page: [1] [2] [3]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread