Sep-20-2008, 09:15 GMT
Austria

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/sports/baseball/
21simon.html?ref=baseball

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 494 ]

Scaaty
Sep-20-2008, 10:50 GMT
Ireland

Lovely article Mimi thanks. Especially liked his tribute to his Dad.

By coincidence last night I watched a montage of F&D and read all the comments ... Many different versions of fathers
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=AzMh7zHir1I&feat
ure=related

Today I´m going to the funeral of my best friends father, who terrorised his family with his temper and fundemental Catholicism. yet in the last 2 years they nursed him and they have made peace with him despite having their lives ruined.

My own lunatic of a father celebrates his 70th birthday by doing a parachute jump tomorrow!!

Heres to fathers of every kind everywhere.

Baylee
Sep-20-2008, 12:48 GMT
USA - United Staates America

Video he refers to enjoy:
video.aol.com/video-detail/mrs-robinson-at-yankee-stadium/1162750104 -

Richard USVI
Sep-20-2008, 14:56 GMT
Unknown

Thank you so much for posting this article. As a native New Yorker and long time PS fan (over 40 years), I have been wondering whether he would have something to say about the destruction of Yankee Stadium.

Frankly, I am amazed that no-one, especially PS, is protesting against this. Yankee Stadium is part of the cultural fabric of New York City and the US in general. Yet it is being torn down with absolutely no remorse. Somehow I think Paris would not replace the Eiffel Tower with a newer and more profitable version, nor would London replace Big Ben in order to have a newer clock.

I thought that Mr. Simon might attempt to start a movement to save the place, but I guess not, especially since he now lives in Connecticut.

Paul Maslov
Sep-20-2008, 16:13 GMT
Unknown

nor Kremlin in Moscow, Richard :)
i´ve read this long (for me) article till the end (maybe the first one as i´m lazy to read big texts on the screen). Smth i had known already (about Micky Mantle and the song that Paul sang on the stadium) but it was new for me the fact that he was a vegetarian for the last years.
Yeah, i was impressed!
But i prefer listening to Paul talking about his life rather than read the interviews. But that´s OK. Thanks, Mimi.

Jon
Sep-20-2008, 19:17 GMT

I hope he or he and Artie play there if they have a farewell concert.

Americana Exotica
Sep-20-2008, 21:37 GMT
Sweden

farewell to the mountains, farewell to the sea..

Peter
Sep-20-2008, 23:15 GMT

Go Red Sox.

Jon
Sep-21-2008, 00:47 GMT

It´s a great article. Too bad Paul and Artie never got to play a concert there.

Incidently, I really like the idea of the last playoff game at Yankee Stadium being the Indians eliminating the Yankees in game four of the Division Series last year!

5 o´clock shadow
Sep-21-2008, 07:27 GMT
Unknown

And I like NBA! Does anybody know is Paul connected with basketball somehow now? I remember him playing with Connie Hawkins on SNL 1975 (?) and in the end he was gifted a big cup by another NBA (or ABA at that time ??) player.

And another thing: he played streetball with Spudd Webb (he was the first slamdunk champion with a hight less than 6 feet - 5.10 i suppose or smth) in the 80s making a clip of Me and Julio.

Americana Exotica
Sep-21-2008, 07:57 GMT
Unknown

found it - Spudd Webb, height 5´7" - slammer of the year 1986 (when Michael Jordan and Dominic Willkins were injured).
And the guy from SNL who gave a cup to Paul was Bill Bradley from the Knicks.

OK:
1. Connie Hawkins vs. Paul Simon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaLx4cHsUzw
2. Micky Mantle, Spudd Webb, Paul Simon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O859wd7H6h8

maslick
Sep-21-2008, 08:06 GMT
Unknown

awarded a cup

Ans
Sep-21-2008, 08:26 GMT
Netherlands

Thanks for link of the montage of F&D Scaaty.

Congratulations with your father´s 70th birthday. Your dad reminds me of my own dad, he was always in for a joke or an adventure, sadly he died at the age of 72 after fighting cancer for 5 years.

All the respect for your friend and her family, it´s very strong of them to forgive and nurse their father after having such a bad life with him when they were growing up.

Ans
Sep-21-2008, 08:51 GMT
Netherlands

Richard,

I can understand that it is sad that the Yankee stadium will be replaced for a new one, loosing history is sad. But I saw pictures of the new one and it doesn´t look bad at all. I´m sure there will be new memories in the new stadium. I don´t think it´s fair to compare the Yankee stadium with the Eiffel Tower or the Big Ben. If they would destroy Empire State building or Central Park or Top of the Rock, that would be really terrible. Those are more cultural as a sports stadium. I also read that they will build a park on the place where the Old Yankee Stadium is, that´s a good thing, better than a lot of new buildings, people need a park in their neighborhood to relax and catch some fresh air. I also don´t see why PS should protest against it, not because he is a Yankee fan I hope. But.... this is only my view and opinion of this matter.

Scaaty  
Sep-21-2008, 18:56 GMT
Ireland

thanks Ans, well Dad has completed his jump and looking for the next trill! So we can now sing Still Crazy After All These Years to him - though I think he´d prefer Ol Blue Eyes singing "I did it my way"
They replaced our landmark stadium Croke Park with a bigger and better stadium which includes a museum of Gaelic football and hurley so maybe they could do that with Yankee Stadium.

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread