Bottom

HeadlineUpdate - The Dreamer of Music

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

mog
Aug-19-2008, 13:01 GMT
IP:
Canada

The people of the above website has worked quite well for a full update about the summer tour. I have not read everything yet. There is a lot !

From their review (which is very positive on the whole) :

"The new stuff from Surprise album were the less interesting performances of the show, except the wonderful `Father & Daughter�. Definitively `Outrageous� live version is a bit strange and `How Can You Live In The Northeast?� cannot match with the rest of Paul`s catalogue. Maybe he should have performed `Wartime Prayers� and take some risk doing `Another Galaxy� which was delightfully covered by The Roches with some Simon help at BAM concerts in NY."

Interesting !

Also, rumour (not valided yet) about a new album. See the site por favor.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 546 ]

Matthew Evans
Aug-19-2008, 13:20 GMT
United Kingdom

I had the opportunity to speak to Paul after the show in Udine. I will post a full report when I get time. He said he had written 3 new songs and he would record them and put them out this year. Which seemed strange. Unless he is going to...

a) Do an EP
b) Another greatest Hits with new songs
c) Write a whole album in a few months (unusual for Paul)

fub
Aug-19-2008, 15:06 GMT
Germany

Well if this is true what you say Matthew, maybe Paul write so fast and want to put out all his new songs so fast because of his age? I know, that many Old people are a bit scared, are thinking more about death and health.

Jon
Aug-19-2008, 18:16 GMT
USA - United Staates America

That makes sense...I remember after Surprise came out he said it would probably be his last "record" because in this age most people only download singles via ITunes and other modes...he basically thinks that the IPod and the shuffle/playlists specifically have made entire albums obsolete, and that wasn´t a totally bad thing.

Klausi
Aug-19-2008, 18:35 GMT
Germany

Hm, I don`t think so.

The Surprise tour ended in late 2006 and the preparation of the Love in hard times and the European tour started maybe a year later.

So we could expect a new album earliest in late 2009. But I think we`ll get one.

Put out one song after the other or three at once? With no advertising/connection like he had with "Father and Daughter" as a movie-used, but Simon-connected song?

Or "Ten Years" for Oprah Winfrey (but he even gave this away and did not release or perform it)?

He is not a hit-maker and would not throw away the idea of an album as a concept-thing, which most of his albums were.

mog
Aug-19-2008, 18:36 GMT
Canada

Yes, that would be a theory indeed.

Also, I had read or heard an interview around YTO with PS saying that he had a few songs for the 1st part and was wondering if his muse would give him other songs (and she did...).

He added a few thoughts about the marketplace wanting 10 songs to make an album, although his muse could give him fewer. Now, with digital music, there is no longer a need for 10 songs to make a record.

Jose Maria Escudero  
Aug-19-2008, 18:41 GMT
Spain

Exactly there are 4 songs already recorded. In the next days we will publish in http://www.thedreamerofmusic.com the titles of the songs and their running time.
By the way one of them is very long (over 6 minutes).
In the beggining they are intended for a new album whose release is scheduled for 2010 and it would be the last Paul´s work for Warner.
However if Paul has declared to one fan during last tour that he will release 3 of the 4 songs in this year, maybe by internet downloads or by an EP, one would think that the disagreements between Simon and Warner have not been overpassed.
Anyway the already 4 recorded songs still need some sort of production in a different level each one.It seems Paul does not want to be the producer this time, what is something new.
The intended album in this phase was planned to have some selfirony on its title.
Thanks for your good comments about our site in this great site.
Anyway thedreamerofmusic published the names of the songs of Surprise album almost 1 year before it was released. Remember that. Some people actually thought the names were a joke and laughed at us. Finnally everything we published was OK. Also remeber that.

mog
Aug-20-2008, 01:33 GMT
Canada

Gracias ! You seem to have direct links with Andy Smith !

But, what are these disagreements between Simon and Warner ? I thought PS had passed a new contract with them only a few years ago for a series of albums (?!).

Jose Maria Escudero
Aug-20-2008, 13:02 GMT
Spain

Thanks to you mog. You are very kind.
Well you can already see at thedreamerofmusic site the suppossed or intended titles of the 4 new songs that Paul has just recorded, their running time and most information we have about this matter.

Ans
Aug-20-2008, 18:19 GMT
Netherlands

Thank you very much for this news Jose and for the update and new section on your site. I´m looking forward to the new pictures.

The song titles look very interesting also the length of two of the songs, I´m very curious about the songs "The Closed Eyes Of God" and "Love In Hard Times", they sound very promising.

mog
Aug-20-2008, 18:32 GMT
Canada

I just checked it...very interesting indeed !!!

We will see. For me, it is not because Simon has said that it would be released this year, that it is going to be the case. Let´s remember, for instance, that he used to say that The Capeman Cast Album would be released almost right away, but it did not happen that way (finally made available in Itunes years later).

Anyway, 2010 horizon is fine and is great news.

I am just puzzled...songs can be recorded without a producer yet ? Or is it just that we do not know the name of the person ?

The new songs titles are interesting. "The Closed Eyes of God"...hum !!!

Muchas gracias.

jocke
Aug-20-2008, 19:09 GMT
Sweden

this is soooooooo great news!! thank you so much Jose!! really intresting names of the songs!! I´ll hope there will be an whole new album!

Jozsef
Aug-22-2008, 15:22 GMT
Romania

Dear Jose,

I wonder whether you were at the Taormina concert and what are your arguments when talking about the "mess overthere"? It is Nikki´s review or other report or you have been there, really? These thing can harm the morale of many peoples and in my view it was a great night, much spontaneous than in Rome, par example - along with the shortcomes regarding the organization of the concert! ....

Cheers!

Bodo
Aug-24-2008, 01:27 GMT
Austria

Hm...
I still have this greatest hit´s CD ´On my way don´t know where I am going´ and on the last side of the booklet you can read something like: Look out for the new Paul Simon album released next spring... I think that was in winter 2002 :)

Nikki
Aug-27-2008, 14:48 GMT
France

Thank you mog for the link, that´s a great site which I haven´t looked at for a long time. Look forward to reading all the news in more detail. And Jozsef I understand that for you it was a wonderful evening but I hope you will not dismiss the other side of the story. It seems incredible that there can be such contrasting experiences of the same concert but it can happen. If you were lucky enough to be up the back where you heard only the beautiful music and paul´s magnificent voice, and you had other genuine fans around you, then that would have been fantastic. If you were right up the front and you heard the music but also heard more closely the tone of his voice, watched the expression on his face, then it´s something different altogether. I am happy for you that you had a good evening and I am glad that everyone now has alternative views to compare, but I think it´s important nonetheless to realise that for Paul maybe the evening was less than perfect.

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread