Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Kuno
Aug-10-2008, 19:45 GMT
IP:
Switzerland

Hi all

A few weeks ago I noticed something...

Have you ever noticed that the harmony (chords) of Queens song "I want to break free" is very similar to Graceland ?
Check out the video: At 2:34 (right after the -great- guitar solo) there is an instrumental part. Just listen to it and imagine the "intro" of Graceland played at the same time... You´ll see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hMrY8jysdg

Of course this is nothing special, but once you noticed it, you will always hear Graceland in that song... I find that quite funny :o)

I tried to mix the two songs together, but as the speed and the pitch is not the same it´s quite difficult.

Cheers
Kuno

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 434 ]

maslick
Aug-11-2008, 12:54 GMT
Unknown

Wow! Another Queen fan!!
I´m the former actually :)
There´s smth common in ´I want to break free´ and ´Graceland´..

Look this one. I think it´s worth listening to. The ending starting with 6:15 when Freddy sings with the whole Wembley stadium.. well, i can´t compare Freddy with Paul because Paul´s music is not for the stadiums (he said about that once).. But still he was a good singer as we see it on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUWl9QPg1Yc&fea
ture=related

Scaaty
Aug-11-2008, 14:25 GMT
Ireland

I´ve noticed that about quite a few songs, esp older ones which may have been in PAul Simon´s subconcious.
There is a group called the Russian Futurist who have a song? called "Paul Simon- Artist or Thief?"

John
Aug-11-2008, 21:07 GMT
United Kingdom

Crucially no similarity in melody.

Think I would answer Russian Futurists question as Artist

maslick
Aug-11-2008, 21:19 GMT
Unknown

there was a story about Moscow students that lit the scarecrow (man of straw) of Paul Simon. Actually it was a hero of the English Text Book which the students were annoyed of.
And again The Russian Futurist. Why do they all make something with the name of the genius Paul Simon?? I don´t like when it´s associated with him :((

Ans
Aug-12-2008, 05:45 GMT
Netherlands

I agree with Jon after listening to the 2 songs, nothing crucially similar there. I hear parts of Paul´s music in other artists songs too who wrote their songs later. I think that happens, there are only a number of notes to play, you can´t invent new notes, only try to play them in a different way.

The Russian Futurists are known at least in my country as a group who copy and paste of their own, post-modern steal-work call some music critics them, but they do a good job on it.
I don´t know their music myself but noticed a few of their titles of songs are well-known or referring to... the song Red Red Wine, the song Me, Myself and Rye.

The Lyrics of
"Paul Simon "
There´s this one word, it´s called comfort,
It´s the strangest, most dangerous place I could hide
It´s a wonder, this cold comfort
Hasn´t hollowed and swallowed you and I from inside
You´re my first pint, on the worst nights
My gut knots up, my heart bursts like
A pià±ata pops, this has gotta stop, watch the water drop from clouds, it sure rains a lot
And I´ve felt how a heart melts down
I´m so burnt out; I´m a shell now
It´s the worst of lows, it´s the first to go, it´s the last to come back when the sun melts the snow
What I´m giving, you is taking,
Lots of lying and some faking
Have I gone too far? Am I too far gone? I´ve been up all night and fight to keep out the dawn
And we´ve felt how our hearts melt down
We´re so burnt out; we´re a shell now
It´s the worst of lows, it´s the first to go, it´s the last to come back when the sun melts the snow

Kuno
Aug-12-2008, 15:04 GMT
Switzerland

Maslicks posting had nothing to do with Paul.
But if you do what I explained in my first posting, I am sure you will know what I mean...
I can´t believe that people don´t realise it.... As I said, the speed and the pitch are not the same on the two songs, but the harmony is (almost) the same.
And again, I know that this is nothing special, I am sure there are a lot more songs with similar harmonies... but as IWTBF is a very famous song I thought it was worth to mention it.

Peter  
Aug-12-2008, 18:51 GMT
USA - United Staates America

As I have started to listen to more music, and begin playing it through chords, I noticed that many many songs have the same progressions and the same chords. One particular one I noticed:

The intro to "You Can Call Me Al" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOiVaE-pKqM) opens with the repeating chords of F, C, Bb. In The Who´s "Baba O´ Riley," (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2KRpRMSu4g), when the piano joins in, it is those same chords again. Finally, in Dire Straits´s "Sultans of Swing," (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyh0dhCekt0), the bridge between the chorus and the next verse is again those same chords, F, C, Bb. So there are a lot of similarities in almost every song we all know.

LateBjart
Aug-13-2008, 06:25 GMT
Norway

You can play virtually any song with chords on a guitar using the same 5-6 chords (often fewer, usually C,G,F,Am,Em). But even though the basic chords of the songs are the same, the songs can be very different. For instance, CCR- Have you ever seen the Rain uses the same chords as Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight. But the songs are very different. "Tom Petty - Free Falling" also uses the excact same chord progression as "You Can Call Me Al". Still,very different songs. You can put all kind of different melodies on top of basic guitar chords.

Ans  
Aug-13-2008, 12:25 GMT
Netherlands

I know this is not what you meant Kuno but it´s turning in to an interesting discussion. I´m an outsider on playing music but I find it interesting to learn a bit more about it.

What amazes me is how many different directions there are in the music, different melodies, harmonies ASO.

I really like to listen to Paul´s music, pay attention to all the different instruments that are used, the many little details. At the moment it´s a joy to hear the bootlegs of the last tour, Paul and the band play so great.

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread