Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlinePaul was so GREAT!

Page: [1] [2] [3]

AuthorComment

LateBjart
Aug-03-2008, 12:55 GMT
Norway

I agree! But I still believe that understanding the poetry of the songs are important, especially when you have a writer like Paul.
I`ve actually put some of his lyrics on my living room wall.

One annoying thing I remember from the Rome concert was a small group of guys "clapping" really hard to the rhythm of a beautiful rendition of "Slip Slidin Away", which in my opinion almost managed to ruin the experience.
In mean, it`s good that there are active spectators who are into the music, but if those guys understood what the song was about I don`t think they would be clapping on like that. Same goes for other songs, like "Sound of Silence". These kind of songs, in my opinion, are best received in silence - with your heart and your ears and not by b...slapping yourself as hard as you can.
Again, just my humble opinion.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 239 ]

AllInsideMyHead
Aug-03-2008, 17:13 GMT
Germany

Nikki, thank you for the reports about the Taormina and Lörrach concerts! I too feel sorry that Paul and his band did not receive the atmospheric finale to their tour that they deserveâ?¦ for they blew many rooms away! But as the little great wise man sings `Breakdowns come and breakdowns go`, and I am sure they will get over it quite smoothly. And focus their memory on the nicer audiences.
The greatest pity in my opinion is the DVDâ?¦ is it for certain that none of the other European concerts was recorded? If this is so, I suggest that they play another concert in Europe, where all European fans gather and provide these awesome musicians with the audience they deserve and help them produce a DVD that does justice to their performance =)

(Miracles do happen, you knowâ?¦!)

Alain
Aug-03-2008, 17:46 GMT
France

very good idea !
why not in Eisenstadt ?
not near the trees !!! :-)

Mimi
Aug-03-2008, 18:30 GMT
Austria

Eisenstadt - I vote for that, too.

I promise to bring along some friends who know a thing about good music! I would also take care of something to eat and to drink so that the good atmosphere is guaranteed!

Ans  
Aug-03-2008, 19:32 GMT
Netherlands

Paul´s management should hold a ticket sale through this site, that would guarantee the best audience, pick a city that can be reached easily by plane and train and the best DVD can be made...;-)

But I agree with Alain, Eisenstadt deserves it first!

Lateintheevening
Aug-03-2008, 19:40 GMT
Hungary

Dear Nikki!

I red your review about Taormina!I was who missed and complained about Eisenstadt....
I think you are my sister "in Paul" cause while I was reading your words tears came into my eyes you explained your feelings so soulfully and I´m sure I would felt the same there!!!I Love and respect him so much and one of my best nights ever were the moments on concerts when he stood up with deep emotional and smiled so thankfuly,very happy,almost
touched to cry...That moments worth every hardship for years
to see him.To give him back something...Oh,only we can do just try to give him back something!But Nikki,anyway,the wispily net between two souls..."everybody here would know exactly what I was talking about"

warm greetings!

Kuno
Aug-03-2008, 19:47 GMT
Switzerland

Hi all

The show at Montreux was filmed as well... and I hope for the DVD of that show as he played "Love and hard times" and "bridge" at that show.
But I am not sure whether they can use the filmed material for a dvd because I only saw two cameras... could be for Swiss TV only :o(

Mireille  
Aug-03-2008, 19:49 GMT
France

no camera in Paris, unfortunately...

Nikki
Aug-03-2008, 19:57 GMT
Italy

thanks everyone for your kind words. its interesting that i´ve seen the best and the worst i think, and both will definitely stay in my memory. regarding the discussion about whether an understanding of lyrics is important, i think it is, and especially for paul´s music because so much of his lyrics is like poetry. maybe that´s why audiences clap and cheer at inappropriate times - eg sound of silence not understanding its meaning as a song.

well thats great that montreaux was filmed, maybe that will become the dvd for the tour then :-) that sounded like an awesome concert too

Mimi
Aug-03-2008, 21:04 GMT
Austria

So there finally is the explaination for the same shirt and hat on almost every concert on this tour! They can use the different videos now and they will surely not show the Taormina audience. So if they need some good material from real fans, we are ready for a big party, aren´t we?

Honestly: As annoying things like that Taormina concert must be (and it surely would have left me depressed, to see something like this) I do think it just happens and if you have been in the business for so long, you have to live with things like that. I can easily imagine that they reserved large contingents of the front row seats for some business people to give them away for free and the people who got those tickets, simply didn´t care about the concert.

io
Aug-03-2008, 22:11 GMT
Italy

Sorry for my english but I´m very tired and I do not know if I will get the point of my opinion.
In milan i was very far from stage, there was a lot of difference between the seating-numbered places and the not numbered places. As soon as I could I went over the security to reach the closest point to the stage. Where I was before there were very little people who know him for his most recent works. It seems to be two very different shows, near and far to the stage. It´s a feeling that I had in both of the shows I attended (Reykjavik and Milan): people in his shows do not know much of his work, and they are only waiting for much known songs. But we know how paul is not promoted at all and he is known to the majority of the people for his early works, expecially here in Italy were S&G are something like rock heroes (remember their concert at the colosseum in 2004). I think Paul is a professionist and will not be upset to what happened in Taormina, but I think he will never perform so many shows in Italy.
And for the future, please ONLY ALL STANDING SHOWS! (we already had this discussion..)

Duncan6
Aug-03-2008, 23:25 GMT
Spain

What do you mean Io? people in seating-numbered places were more sensitive to paul´s music than no-numbered?
I can´t tell you because I wasn´t in not numbered so I couldn´t take a look to that audience. Maybe is right what you´re telling, and if it´s that so, how terrible...:(

io
Aug-04-2008, 10:46 GMT
Italy

no no.. I meant only that to attend a concert far from the stage is very different from to be just under it; just as being seated is different from attending it standing. Far and seated places take people attention off the show in an easyer way, expeccially if they don´t know the songs.

Lara
Aug-04-2008, 15:12 GMT
Italy

Nikki, what you have described in your rewiew sounds like a nightmare for every real fan. I mean: stupid audience speeching, mobils ringing and that special taste of incomunication. I can image your and his disapoint. For sure there were too many tourists.People not prepared to receive all that he has to give and unable to give it back. Milano, Roma, Udine, Riva (just for speaking of italian dates) were completely different. I´ve heard that also in Milano there was problem with people from the sponsor of the event. They were invited but they weren´t so intrested to the show. Fortunately they were seated very very far from the stage so: no disturb or bad energy near him.
A concert is a kind of double gift, an exchange of good feelings, energy, emotions. Such a little miracle. And when it doesn´t...
I´m hoping that he will be not too much discouraged and that he will trust italian public again.
And you, forget all that was wrong in Taormina and take care of all the others good memories from this tour

markie
Aug-04-2008, 17:34 GMT
United Kingdom

There is a clip of SOS in Taormina here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOJNZlIMHHM

Page: [1] [2] [3]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread