Bottom

HeadlineOld v New songs

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

Scaaty
Jul-09-2008, 23:55 GMT
IP:
Ireland

There is an argument going on in the reviews as to whether a concert should Old songs more than new songs. Remember before they become well known old songs they had to be unknown new songs.
An example ... I went to the Graceland concert in ´87 with some friends who moaned through the whole concert that there were no s&G songs (only SOS). Now anyone who has been to those concerts know how brilliant they were and how those songs have reached so many people. what if PS had made LSBM sing BOTW, boxer etc only?...... I shudder to think!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 478 ]

Jon
Jul-10-2008, 00:10 GMT
USA - United Staates America

I kina wish he would play some more Old songs at the shows. Aside from the fact that the early stuff is my favorite (although I Love RTOS, Graceland, YTO, ect), I think the majority of the people going to the shows are going to see him sing older songs.

I kinda wish that he would substitute songs like America, Mother And Child Reunion, Homeward Bound, etc for The Teacher and Cool Cool River.

Also, those latter two songs don´t translate well for me into concert songs....If he wants to play songs from those albums, I would love to hear The Coast, Obvious Child, Born At The Right Time, Old, or Hurricane Eye.

mog
Jul-10-2008, 01:16 GMT
Canada

Interesting debate folks.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Simon has lost mass acceptance since The Capeman. I mean...one can watch his Concert In The Park from 1991 to see that new songs (at that time) were played fully and loved by the audience. But ROTS was a multi-platinum record and Graceland was then a recent success.

For most people, Simon is remembered for S&G and Graceland. The latter is more than 20 years-Old now. The man has not had any hits since. So...I would suspect that most of the people that go to his concert nowadays are not even aware of ROTS, YTO, Suprise, etc.

I think I am open-minded person. If I go to a concert of anyone, I would expect the artist to sing success and more obscure titles. But it is not the way most people think. A friend of mine goes to old-timer concerts and want only to hear the old tunes. He has no interest in exploring new material from these artists.

I understand Simon´s attitude not to be confined to what people would like him to be. If I had been on stage, I would have been pissed by some remarks. But that´s part of the game now for him since he has choosen to put out more celebral records.

And I guess he is used to it. I mean...I am sure that 9/10 people that attended his concert in 1984 were going there for Sounds Of Silence rather than Hearts And Bones. If he is fine with this...that´s it !

Klausi
Jul-10-2008, 05:04 GMT
Germany

I agree to Jon regarding Cool, cool river, but The Teacher is great.

The only song he ALWAYS sang in every concert since 1969 is The Boxer.

I loved One man`s ceiling is another man`s floor in 2000 and Duncan in 2006 and now.

50 ways is obviously left out because of Steve Gadd. Maybe the drummer will learn it during the tour.

But why leaving out Mother And Child Reunion, Kodachrome and Loves Me Like A Rock? His biggest solo-hits of a period he himself described as underestimated. But these three songs are well known.

DannyJ
Jul-10-2008, 06:39 GMT
United Kingdom

I recall someone going Bananas for Kodachrome at the liverpool 2002 concert, and can be heard on the bootleg screaming their lungs out.

It just goes to demonstrate that everyone has their favourites, includinf PS, and let´s not forget, they´re not our songs, they´re his...

Duncan is my All Time favourite, and it´s only recently it´s come back to the circuit, & I´m glad.

I agree Teacher was brilliant...

scaaty
Jul-10-2008, 10:10 GMT
Ireland

Paul has already pointed out that "Kodachrome" means nothing nowadays as all cameras are digital and he´s happy with that as he was fed up singing it anyway.
As I said before Old songs had to be new songs at some stage. The Coast was sung in the Central park concert .. listen to that .. you will not hear a more beautiful rendition of that song anywhere else!!

Rob
Jul-10-2008, 10:23 GMT
Netherlands

I think that the mix of Old and new songs which is listed in this year´s concerts is quite good now, but I like the music of famous and less famous albums almost equally. I am personally very glad that cool cool river is there, because it was a great experience during the rots concert in the 90´s. It was a spectacular combination of lights choreography and percussion, and I just Love the lyrics of this song. It is perfect for concert performances.

Nikki
Jul-10-2008, 10:49 GMT
Australia

Well I think the challenge is always to keep a balance. And after playing some of the songs for 40 years I´m sure he needs to look for new material to play so he doesn´t get bored of touring. Personally, I´m a little disappointed with the set list this time around cos I think it leaves out some of the greatest songs like American Tune and Bridge and 50 ways, and since I´d never seen Paul play live before I´d really like to hear those played. But I´m also glad songs like Duncan and The Cool Cool River have been added to the list. Bottom line: you can´t keep everyone happy, and I´m extremely grateful just for the opportunity to finally watch Paul play.

Ell
Jul-10-2008, 11:51 GMT
United Kingdom

It`s more like Old verses Older songs.

As memory serves, I have never heard Paul Simon play a new (unknown) song once on tour - new song as in not yet released or heard before.

I`m sure he must have written something new since the 2006 tour that he could have included in this tour.

I was tempted to travel from Scotland to see a show, but after reading the reviews and setlist I`m relieved I didn`t.

It`s the first Paul Simon UK tour I`ve missed since S&G in 1982 and throughout the previous tours I was always hopeful that he would perform something as yet unheard to the audience. (Whispering Bells?)

If I can`t hear a new song, then I would prefer to hear songs that I consider my favourites - if he doesn`t play them, it`s my tough luck.

I will always consider my favourites as being from S&G`s top drawer ` America, Boxer, Old Friends etc, and his seventies, early eighties masterpieces.

His present songwriting to me has now become almost unrecognisable, but I remain hopeful he will forget all the silly influences of the last twenty years and get back to writing some real songs!

scaaty
Jul-10-2008, 13:03 GMT
Ireland

so lets stop developing as the human race and remain stuck in the 20th Century, can you imagine where´d we be if some said that in 1908!

Ell
Jul-10-2008, 13:22 GMT
United Kingdom

There are endless ways of developing, I just happen to think Paul Simon´s songwriting has developed in the wrong direction.

Ans
Jul-10-2008, 16:25 GMT
Netherlands

You can´t tell Paul in which way he should develop, if you don´t like the new songs that´s a pity for you but the songs of the last 20 years are also Real songs, just not your taste.

I Love the way he keeps changing his songs when he plays them live.

Scaaty
Jul-10-2008, 20:31 GMT
Ireland

whenever I go to a concert that is of someone I like but not a fanatical fan, I always try to familiarise myself with their music before hand. This usually means playing a greatest hits album. Then when I get to the concert, I recognise many of songs, but also am aware then of the less well known ones and if there is one or two that particularly stand this is a huge bonus examples are the Italian restaurent by Billy Joel and A thousand kisses deep by Leonard cohen. A live show should be an enriching experience not a rehash of what you can hear in your living room. This also includes mishaps, wrong words etc

mog
Jul-10-2008, 20:42 GMT
Canada

I kindly disagree with scaaty on the new songs must be new at some stage to become Old songs.

For me, I adhere to what Simon said somewhere a few years ago: a song is either a hit or it is gone.

Songs from Surprise are unknown to the common concertgoer and will remain unknown forever. Simply because Surprise has not gotten much radio airplay and was not a commercial success.

Of course, there are some exceptions, but in general...

simon
Jul-10-2008, 22:03 GMT
United Kingdom

The Graceland Tour 1987 was different. It was not publicised as a PS concert but The Graceland Concert - a celebration of South African Music and Graceland. We were told not to expect PS songs (other than those on the Graceland album - however The Boxer and Mother & Child Reunion were performed magnificently). The atmospheres were electric and tickets were being exchanged for £100 each in 1987.
With live shows we do expect the odd mistake - but not many.
Part of the problem has been the choice of venue - a 2/3 full Echo Arena was not the best choice - stick to intimate venues - PS and all of the crowd at Hammersmith in 2000 were almost in tears when a fan asked him if he would ever be back in London.
PS must like performing the Old songs - 2003 / 2004 Old Friends Tour?

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread