Bottom

HeadlineAyahuasca

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

carlitos
Jun-15-2008, 05:47 GMT
IP:
Peru

Hello everyone. I am an american studying with shamans in the Amazon Rainforest of Peru. I couldn´t help but notice that one of the sacred healing songs my current teacher sings is a near identical version of sound of silence. Then, I found out that Paul had been to Peru and drank ayahuasca, the same healing brew that I currently drink with Amazon Healers. What I really want to know is when Simon was down here, when did he drink ayahuasca. Could he have heard a healing song, called an icaro, that inspired his career making song, sound of silence? Any help on the year he went to Peru would be a big help. Thanks.

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1603 ]

Jon
Jun-15-2008, 08:10 GMT
USA - United Staates America

haha my guess is the only way you will get an anwser to that question is by asking paul himself --- the only thing i drank tonight was natty light, and a lot of it. go browns

Mimi
Jun-15-2008, 08:42 GMT
Austria

It is known that he was there during the making of Rhythm Of The Saints (around 1989/1990) but Sound of Silence was written around 1963 and I doubt that he has been there during that time.

matthew
Jun-15-2008, 09:14 GMT
United Kingdom

"I drank a cup of herbal brew" - it is in Spirit Voices from The Rhythm Of The Saints.

jos
Jun-15-2008, 09:19 GMT
Netherlands

Wow, that gives a new meaning to Sprit Voices for me.
Carlitos, good luck with your study. That is so interresting.

Ans
Jun-16-2008, 09:49 GMT
Netherlands

Paul was in Rio in Brazil early spring 1988 for the first time, he was invited by Milton Nascimento in 1987 when Paul worked with Milton in LA on the song ´Dream Merchant´ for Milton´s new album, Paul added his vocals. After his first visit in March 1988 he came back to Brazil 4 months later for a longer period and visited also Salvador Bahia where he recorded the drumm sessions with Olodum.

I remember a story about that Paul heard The Sound Of Silence played somewhere in a very small village when he visited that country but I´m not sure if it was in Brazil or somewhere else, I can´t remember where I read or heard about that story.

Paul wrote The Sound Of Silence between November 1963 and February 1964, he started to write the song in the same month as President Kennedy was shot.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1602 ]

Klausi
Jun-16-2008, 13:12 GMT
Germany

The story is true, he heard SOS (probably the melody) singing by a child deep in the jungle when in Brazil for recording ROTS. He himself told it to a newspaper.

He was of course quite moved about this. Going there for hearing brazilian sounds and getting his own sounds of Si(mon).

Nikki
Jun-16-2008, 14:48 GMT
Australia

Wasn´t there also a story about how he heard El Condor Pasa being sung somewhere, and he sung along with the kids but they didn´t realise that he was the one who wrote the lyrics?

Jupira  
Jun-16-2008, 16:53 GMT
Brazil

I always felt that verse about "herbal brew" a lot suspicious... ;-)

Mimi
Jun-16-2008, 17:16 GMT
Austria

He told the story in an NPR interview like this:

He saw a girl in some amazon outback playing guitar and played "El Condor Pasa" for her, because he knew, that the girl knows that song. Then he asked her, if she knew a song and she played SOS, although she did not know who he was.

Nikki
Jun-16-2008, 23:46 GMT
Australia

Ah ha! That´s how the two stories link together. thanks Mimi :)

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread