HeadlineBest songs from Surprise "promo"

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

LuisM.
May-31-2008, 10:33 GMT
IP:
Spain

Hello!

Can anybody tell me why the best songs from Surprise (How Can You Live In The Northeast, and mainly Wartime prayers) didn´t have a special promotion of WB as single songs?

Political decission?

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 466 ]

Scaaty
May-31-2008, 11:29 GMT
Ireland

Couldn´t be! its the land of the free after all

LuisM.
May-31-2008, 16:45 GMT
Spain

But the Statue of Liberty was sailing away to sea...

Jon
May-31-2008, 19:46 GMT
USA - United Staates America

and smiled reassuringly

matthewsemple  
Jun-01-2008, 09:46 GMT
United Kingdom

I reckon the record company decide what to promote and Paul himself has little interest in which songs are singles. That´s Me was a single but he didn´t even play it on the 2006 promo tour, although Outrageous and Father and Daughter make sense as singles and were on the setlist.

Personally I think that ´Once Upon A Time There Was An Ocean´ is far more commercial than either Wartime Prayers or Northeast but that wasn´t released either.

Having said that there is a single of Northeast - it was given away as a promotion in Borders shops and I have a copy. They are readily available on eBay. It was also on a CD-Rom on every seat of the 2006 promo concerts. Perhaps that is why they didn´t also release it as a single.

All rather academic though as even people who frequent this site do not buy the singles. I put a poll up when Outrageous was released to see who was going to buy the single and I think I was the only one who voted Yes!

matthewsemple
Jun-01-2008, 09:53 GMT
United Kingdom

Here´s the link to the poll: http://www.paul-simon.info/PHP/vote2.php?id_poll=2

I voted Yes, some people said they had ordered it but over 80% said they had it on the album so wouldn´t be buying it. I buy all his singles (they are only £2 delivered from HMV) and I personally think that as fans we should buy his singles so they get into the charts and receive radio play.

If even half the people who bought £45 tickets to his 2006 promo tour (which sold out all the 10,000+ seater arenas in the UK) bought a £2 CD single when they are released, he´d have massive hits - you don´t need to sell many records to get into the top 10 any more!

LuisM.
Jun-01-2008, 11:13 GMT
Spain

I agree with that point of view, Matthewsemple.

The most of us bought the album, but aren´t interested in singles.

Moreover, the single concept has been changed with e-sells.

Anyway, Wartime Prayers it´s so good, I don´t understand how it happened unnoticed (first time I´ve heard it, thought about "Imagine", the John Lennon´s song, in a Simon -so even better- style.

Another reason could be that PS, now, is not interested in grammys or top ten hits (he has already enough...)

Scaaty
Jun-01-2008, 11:37 GMT
Ireland

I couldn´t get any of the singles, and the hairy grungy types in HMV and Tower Records weren´t over impressed with middle age women asking for such things!! I did buy Outrageous on iTunes purely to promote sales!

Rosie
Jun-01-2008, 20:20 GMT
Ireland

I bought thats me, father and daughter and Outrageous in one day.. although they were 5 euro haha

Bodo  
Jun-02-2008, 13:07 GMT
Austria

And another question - was this strange Warner-UK site the only chance to see the video for ´Outrageous´?
Did they never play it on any TV station? :(

matthew  
Jun-03-2008, 08:42 GMT
United Kingdom

HMV were selling the singles online for £1.99 delivered. I bought all three like that and I got the Borders promo of Northeast from eBay - so I have four CD singles from Surprise in my collection.

matthew
Jun-03-2008, 08:44 GMT
United Kingdom

HMV still have copies of That´s Me and Outrageous. They are now £2.49 delivered.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx
=282;2;-1;-1&sku=543996

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx
=282;2;-1;-1&sku=577301

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread