Bottom

HeadlinePaul Simon to play Liverpool Pops

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

matthew
Apr-02-2008, 13:58 GMT
IP:
United Kingdom

One of the greatest singer/songwriters of all time, PAUL SIMON will be returning to the Summer Pops on Sunday 6th July.

Simon is revered now as he ever was, over 40 years into a career which has spawned such timeless classics as ´Bridge Over Troubled Waters´, ´Homeward Bound´, ´Mrs Robinson´, ´50 Way to leave Your Lover´ and dozens of other hits, along with albums as unique and important as ´Still Crazy After All These Years´ and ´Graceland´ to name but two. Legend is not overstating it.

Speaking about his 2002 Pops appearance, Simon said: ´Liverpool was the very best concert on my European tour and the audience were also the best. I really enjoyed the show. What an audience, the reaction was really fabulous. I can`t wait to come back.´

Famously, the north west of England inspired him to pen one of his greatest hits.

In 1965, Paul Simon had been touring around the north west, appearing at clubs from Birkenhead to Widnes. Widnes railway station, has become the stuff of music legend, thanks to a home and lovesick Simon. It was here, that he had the inspiration for the song ´Homeward Bound´, Simon and Garfunkel`s first UK hit. It was whilst waiting for the milk train at Widnes Station, after a local folk club gig, he yearned to be back in London, in the arms of his beloved Kathy.

During his distinguished career Simon has been the recipient of many honours and awards including 12 Grammy Awards, three of which (´Bridge Over Troubled Water´, ´Still Crazy After All These Years´ and ´Graceland´) were albums of the year.

In 2003 he was given a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award for his work as half of the duo Simon and Garfunkel. He is an inductee of The Songwriters Hall of Fame and is in the Rock n´ Roll Hall of Fame both as a member of Simon and Garfunkel and as a solo artist.

http://www.accliverpool.co.uk/whatson/paulsimon.as
p

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 749 ]

Petr  
Apr-02-2008, 17:40 GMT
United Kingdom

wohooo, I´ve got 2 tickets :D :D lajlalaj :)

Scaaty
Apr-02-2008, 20:09 GMT
Ireland

The tickets aRE Very cheap!!! 35 - 45 pounds 45-55 euro approx they are 75 euro here and thats cheap compared to say Leonard cohen 120â?¬ !!

josh
Apr-02-2008, 23:56 GMT
Ireland

£55 for gold circle tickets!!! is this normal in the UK or is that unusually cheap?? if thats normal then we are being robbed over here!!

Sue Ridgway
Apr-03-2008, 08:50 GMT
United Kingdom

Our £55 tickets (plus a £5.50 booking fee each ticket) are in the side stalls, near to the front. I´m not sure if there were some £60 ones as well, or whether ours are classed as the £60 ones (including the booking fee)?

matthew  
Apr-03-2008, 09:09 GMT
United Kingdom

In 2006, I paid £45 for each ticket when he played at the Birminghma NEC, so this is cheaper.

The Gold Circle tickets are £55 plus £5 booking fee and some other charge for handling. I paid £123 in total for two tickets from See Tickets. From the Arena itself it worked out at £126.

Please be warned though, there is very limited availability on the Gold Circle and only single tickets in this area are available from the Arena´s website.

Seats in the rest of the arena are also selling out very quickly and I reckon that it will be completely sold out within the next day or two.

matthew
Apr-03-2008, 09:21 GMT
United Kingdom

Just found another great article about the Liverpool concert and the appearance of SUPERSTAR Paul Simon:

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-life
-features/capital-of-culture/2008/04/02/superstar-
paul-simon-set-for-summer-pops-and-echo-bunnymen-m
ake-a-date-for-massive-hometown-show-64375-2070552
6/

Silvia
Apr-03-2008, 13:25 GMT
United Kingdom

Now how likely do you reckon is it that more concerts are going to be announced..? I am torn between buying tickets for Liverpool before the good ones sell out, and waiting and hoping he might come to Scotland as well.

matthew
Apr-03-2008, 14:33 GMT
United Kingdom

The Arena has pretty much ran out of tickets.

This website still has some allocation: http://www.seetickets.com/see/price.asp?filler1=se
e&filler3=id1allg&code=306004

I would buy now and avoid disappointment because in 2002 when he did a similar tour of festivals, Liverpool was the only date in England.

Silvia
Apr-03-2008, 16:39 GMT
United Kingdom

Well I guess if Paul decides to come to Scotland I will get to see him twice - you´re right Matthew, better not take the risk. I actually found the best tickets on the website of the Arena - much better than the ones offered by seetickets or ticketmaster. Yay, I cannot believe it yet, I didn´t really expect to get another chance to see Paul! :-)

Sue Ridgway
Apr-03-2008, 20:40 GMT
United Kingdom

Where are you sitting Silvia?

matthew  
Apr-03-2008, 21:12 GMT
United Kingdom

I got seats in the Gold Circle from See. The Arena website doesn´t have two seats together in this area any more. I noticed that both See and Ticketmaster do still have some allocation in the Gold Cirlce.

I am also thinking of buying tickets for the Cornbury Music Festival - especially as The Bangles are on earlier in the day and they might do Hazy Shade of Winter!

Silvia
Apr-03-2008, 22:09 GMT
United Kingdom

I am in Block A, row D. Fantastic seats! I am going by myself, so it was easier. Among my friends there are no such crazy PS fanatics as me ;)

Ell
Apr-03-2008, 23:54 GMT
United Kingdom

I´m hoping that Paul will come to Scotland. He did play Edinburgh Castle in 2002 and one of the first festivals he played was Edinburgh in 1964. Fingers crossed!

Sue Ridgway
Apr-04-2008, 00:56 GMT
United Kingdom

They´re very good seats Silvia! We bought tickets even before they officially went on sale, and still they´re not as good as yours. We´re in Block 1, row A, which is at the side near the front (I think).

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread