www.paul-simon.info 
The neck of my Guitar

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineRonald Regan/Paul Simon Gershwin Show...

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Jon
Feb-29-2008, 08:18 GMT
IP:
USA - United Staates America

I watched the PS Gershwin show again.

There is a segment wherein they recognize Bridge by showing all the famous folks who have covered it. What struck me as odd (okay, it bothered the hell out of me)

In this montage of Bridge Over Troubled Water with Cash, Willie Nelson, Aretha Franklin, etc, There is a clip from Ronald Regan´s funeral.

Paul Simon, throughout his life, has been a champion for peace and equality, this is part of the reason why I as a teenager fell in Love with him.

Ronald Regan was a war mongering rich thug who could have given two shits about the poor and oppressed. As the leader of the United States, he did nothing to help the poor, but rather worked to help give more benefits to the wealthiest group of Americans.

for the record, I am an American, I´ve lived in Pennsylvania my entire life

This begs the question as to why Nancy Regan and Ronald´s funeral procession was included in Paul´s Gershwin show. I am confident that if Paul would have had anything to do with it, the Bridge montage would have included those who truly tried to bridge troubled water by peaceful means, as it did in Simon and Garfunkel´s TV special in 1969.

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 372 ]

Peter
Mar-02-2008, 05:58 GMT

Good point. I was never alive during the Regan years, but I have read and heard much. From what I take out of it, Regan was one of the worst presidents ever to be elected. I would thinks that Paul, an outspoken democrat, would not have let that aired if he in any way knew what it was.

My Grandpa says:
"The only [good] thing Ronald Regan did was remind me that I was a democrat."

Scaaty
Mar-02-2008, 13:13 GMT
Ireland

Try and get a copy of Hey Ronnie Reagan by Christy Moore - to get an Irish folk singer view of this man who like a lot of American Presidents claims Irish Roots

nancy
Mar-02-2008, 19:19 GMT

Now I didn´t like Reagan, but showing "Bridge" being sung for a wife who has lost her beloved husband was not political IMO- it show the wide range of people who have been touched by this great song.

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread