Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineObvious Child Lyric

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

Ell
Jan-29-2008, 14:52 GMT
United Kingdom

To me, you explain Kodachrome very well Nikki - I think he has changed the lyric from `worse` to `better` to explain the irony of what can change in life.
However, I can`t help but feel he changes lyrics for other trivial reasons ` two that spring directly to mind are when he changes `but` to `so` in 50 Ways and `crapped` out to (I think) `tapped` out in Still Crazy live versions.
I think the change in 50 Ways improves the sound of the word used, but I think using `tapped` in Still Crazy is awful ` can someone explain why?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 403 ]

Scaaty
Jan-29-2008, 15:26 GMT
Ireland

Crapped out is bad language - but thanks for confirming that - I had always thought it was crapped out and had arguements about it until I was shown the words which have tapped out - which doesn´t have the same affect.

Ell
Jan-29-2008, 16:05 GMT
United Kingdom

Yeah, thought it might just be the rudeness of the word, but used in context, it`s very effective for meaning completely run down. (Knackered) ` but thanks for reply Scaaty :)

Scaaty
Jan-29-2008, 17:47 GMT
Ireland

the word knackered is considered a worse expression in Ireland as it can be used as a racial slur

Ell
Jan-29-2008, 18:05 GMT
United Kingdom

I won´t ask you to explain that Scaaty, unless you want to - I did not know that! I hope I didn´t offend anyone!

Klausi
Jan-29-2008, 19:39 GMT
Germany

The most daring and striking change is that on record Duncan, live she crept to the tent of the other.

Maybe in 1971 he was too shy to say this.

Phoebe
Feb-04-2008, 11:57 GMT
Denmark

I wouldn´t know about that.
I agree with you on Still Crazy - "tapped out" doesn´t sound as good as the other, but maybe Paul just doesn´t want to offend anybody (though I can´t see how you could get offended by "crapped out").
About Kodachrome, the booklet of Shining Like A National Guitar states that it was because Paul was getting even with Kodak for them making him putting their copyright symbol on everything.
However, I don´t think that was the only reason/intention... but we´ll probably have to ask himself if we wanna know for sure :D

Forum guest
Aug-21-2009, 21:16 GMT
Croatia

i always thought that it is an "obvious child," and it is today that it occurred to me for the first time that there could be a different meaning. it is a beautiful song that says so much and i am still searching for the rest of its meaning!

mog
Aug-22-2009, 21:19 GMT
Canada

My personal bet is that "obvious child" refers to Jesus. I guess you had figured that out long time ago...no Surprise here.

This would make sense for me in a way that the song is on a brazilian based album, where in Brasil, roman catholic church is very strong. If Simon let himself be inspired by the cultural psyche of the location, then he might have been inspired in a certain way...who knows.

Anyhow, I would have to check, but it seems to me that Simon has confirmed the religious factor in some interviews (maybe the Zollo ones). He talked more about the line ´the cross is in the ballpark´...refering this time, if I remember correctly, to the giant evangelist gatherings in America.

As a whole, I agree with Chris Charlesworth that it is a song about the struggle to survive.

Scaaty
Aug-22-2009, 21:34 GMT
Ireland

Personally I always thought it was a reference to Moses .. among the reeds and rushes a baby boy is found, isn´t that how Moses was adopted by Pharoh´s daughter? that would fit into Simon´s own background, and then the baby girl ?? maybe Simon bringing equality into the equation or trying to hide the link.

massecb
Aug-22-2009, 21:43 GMT
USA - United Staates America

I thought it was referring to Moses, who was a slave child turned into a Prince, then rejects his royal life in order to lead his people out of slavery.

mog
Aug-22-2009, 22:49 GMT
Canada

Ah...maybe ?

For me, it was more simple than that. Jesus being God´s presumed child by many believers on this planet. For them, Jesus would definitely be the *obvious* child.

I understood the line ´some people say the sky is just the sky´ as referring to people denying the existence of supra-worlds/arrièere-monde outside of earth, as thought by christianity (e.g. hell & heaven (in the sky)). If you do not believe in those things, there are good chances that for U, the sky is just the sky right ? Or maybe that the holy writings are ´just a lie´ ?

And Simon underlignes the quasi-omnipresence of christianity in a certain culture (the cross is even in the ballpark - a place in theory for sports, or that religious beliefs so popular that reli. events must be held in these places).

In this context, given the huge presence of the religion and its penetration in society/people, why deny or who are you to deny The Obvious Child ?

Anyhow, this song interwaves this theme + the struggle to survive in human beings (in this case, illustrated in Sunny´s story).

Forum guest
Dec-15-2009, 09:46 GMT
USA - United Staates America

That song has been in my pretty regular rotation for 15 years- I´ve heard it often- and I´ve NEVER thought the latter. In fact, I only came across this page when looking up the possible meaning as I wanted to see if it was speaking about our inner child. I believe most of us, uselessly and to our own detriment, deny our obvious child. BUT, given the second punctuation possibilty, I´m seeing how this could also be a very viable intention as well. So I guess I´m gonna go with all of the above. Thanks for a different perspective on this one!

mog
Dec-16-2009, 03:53 GMT
Unknown

Hey thanks ! Then, maybe my theories could be valid. I did not know, I had not gotten any response from anyone on the matter, it was the Sounds Of Silence pretty much.

I would need to search in my Old papers, but I seem to remember that Paul did mention in interviews that the cross in the ballpark line came really about evangelists/religious gatherings so popular that they are held in ´pagan´ places.

Still, he came to the conclusion after a while that maybe what he meant was a reference to the ´cross´ we all carry in our lives.

Anyhow, for me, with the videoclip filmed in front of the church in Pelourinho Square, the Bresilian religious background, it was easy for me to link the dots.

Again, I found the song very astute. If he had been very clear about Jesus, then the song could have been a turn-off for many people while others, in joy, would have recuperated it. It makes me think about Bodo´s comment with regard to the ´new dance´ reference in Can´t Run But. We know what he meant, without him saying it clearly in a dated or cliché reference.

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread