Bottom

HeadlineObvious Child Lyric

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

Donovan
Jan-24-2008, 19:57 GMT
IP:
USA - United Staates America

I´m curious to have anyone´s views on the "correct" punctuation of the following, as the meaning is affected quite a bit

Is it:

1. "Why deny The Obvious Child?"

or

2. "Why deny the obvious, child?"

or

3. Do you think both meanings were intended?

(I know, get a life.)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1249 ]

Peter
Jan-24-2008, 22:02 GMT

I´ve often wondered this too. I think that the first one is correct, but the second one could definitely be the meaning. That´s why I Love Paul´s songs so much; they are always open to interpretation. Make sure to read "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves.

nancy
Jan-25-2008, 03:00 GMT

"Eats,Shoots,and leaves" is great.

I have to admit I have never thought of "The Obvious Child" with the second meaning-interesting. His music is endlessly fascinating, and much of it I think of entirely differently than when I first heard it(and could change my mind again tomorrow).

Klausi
Jan-25-2008, 07:25 GMT
Germany

It´s different but I had a similar feeling about:

"When something goes wrong
I`m the first to admit it
the first to admit it
but the last one to know

when something goes right
it`s likely to loose me..."

But this is more because of the breaks in music and singing.

Nikki
Jan-25-2008, 09:35 GMT
Australia

Hmm not quite sure what you mean there Klausi... do you mean whether ´but the last one to know´ links onto ´when something goes right´ in the 2nd verse of the chorus?

Klausi
Jan-25-2008, 13:59 GMT
Germany

Yes Nikki. Thank you for asking. I meant "the last one to know" refered to "something so wrong". Because there is this break in singing.

This is surely not important, just wanted to say something after a while...

Nice weekend to all!

Klausi
Jan-28-2008, 07:41 GMT
Germany

Interesting too:

On the original record Simon sings "Everything looks worse in black and white", which is natural.

Live he sings "Everything looks better in black and white." Easier to sing.

But the meaning?

There is a sort of Whisky named "Black and White". Then it makes sense...

Mimi
Jan-28-2008, 09:14 GMT
Austria

You can discuss about that Klausi, if everything looks worse or better in black and white. There are portraits in black and white that look really great.

If you take "black and white" as a metapher for times that have gone by, then there is new meaning to that phrase. A lot of people only remember the nice parts of a certain time and forget about the troubles they had then.

But I Love it, when you can find so many different meanings in the lyrics and everbody can find their own interpretation.

Peter
Jan-29-2008, 04:31 GMT

I had heard somewhere that he sings that because he was mad at Kodak for not letting him use Kodachreome without a trademark. Nikon let him do it, so why not Kodak?

Klausi
Jan-29-2008, 06:53 GMT
Germany

They seem to be very strict. In Britain Kodachrome was the B-side of the single and Take Me To The Mardi Gras named as A-side because of that problem. The people buyed it because of Kodachrome.

But officially Take me to the mardi gras became a top-ten Hit in the UK and only one of his Hits was top ten in the US and UK, Mother And Child Reunion.

Bodo
Jan-29-2008, 10:10 GMT
Austria

Usually if you start to photograph it is easier to make black and white pictures - they look better because you will not have any annoying colors, you just concentrate on the forms.

But a sunset looks most of the time better in color - the colors all fit together :)

Scaaty
Jan-29-2008, 11:11 GMT
Ireland

when the song was first written, colour photography was still the exception and every one wanted it but now that colour photography is the norm and it is difficult to get B/W developed (at least before the digital age) it became the better more artistic form.

Scaaty
Jan-29-2008, 11:12 GMT
Ireland

sorry hit the button twice.

Scaaty
Jan-29-2008, 11:12 GMT
Ireland

when the song was first written, colour photography was still the exception and every one wanted it but now that colour photography is the norm and it is difficult to get B/W developed (at least before the digital age) it became the better more artistic form.

Nikki
Jan-29-2008, 13:04 GMT
Australia

Sorry I forgot about this thread amidst all the talk about a possible tour (or some concert dates at least)

Klausi now that you mention it I´ve just realised that everytime I listen to Something So Right I consciously make the link btw the first and second part of the chorus. As in the break in the music is too long for the two lines to link naturally in my head, yet I feel like they should link, so I always find myself drawing out the last notes on "...know" in my head so that they join onto "when something goes right". Lol just a little game I like to play.

As for Kodachrome, I´ve always taken "black and white" (for better or worse) to mean reality, unadorned, unembellished - as opposed to the colored photographs. Simply because of the line "makes you think all the world´s a sunny place", which carries a strong hint of irony / cynicism for me - like he´s suggesting that the ´greens of summer´ creates the illusion of the world being a better place than it really is.

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread