Bottom

HeadlineCP91 - possible bad news

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

matthew
Jan-18-2008, 11:41 GMT
IP:
United Kingdom

As many of you are aware, Paul Simon´s Concert In The Park is not available on DVD but it was available on the LaserDisc format.

I was reading a page on Wikipedia about Laserdiscs when I read the folowing comment:

"During the late 1980s, Pioneer signed contracts with major music artists, such as Madonna, Janet Jackson, and others, to release their concerts on Laserdisc only through Pioneer. To this date, the contracts are still standing, and the concerts have not been re-released on DVD by Pioneer or others. An exception is the Genesis LD of "The way we walk" , which was released to DVD in October 2002, under the Pioneer label"

Paul Simon and Madonna are both on Warners and I wondered whether this contract effected CP91. Could this explain why other concerts have appeared on DVD but not this one?

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 581 ]

Bodo
Jan-18-2008, 13:25 GMT
Austria

This could have many reasons, another one could be that the musicians back in that time did only sign contracts to release this on VHS, LD, CD, MC a.s.o. (no one did knew anything about DVDs) - so today you have sign new contracts with all musicians - and Paul had a really big band in 1991 + Olodum.

Another reason could be that this concert was not filmed to release it as a concert video, is was only filmed for TV. So the picture quality might be not as good as the African concert or The tower concert.

Anyway, it sucks :-(
The LD quality is also by far not as good as a DVD, and there is one song missing again (The Coast - available on the VHS)

matthew  
Jan-18-2008, 15:41 GMT
United Kingdom

If the filmed for TV thing was a problem we would not have the 1981 concert on DVD. That is not very good quality but it still made it to DVD. Also Paul spoke in June 1991 (Disc 3 of Japanese compilation ´The Paul Simon Collection´) about recording and releasing a live album of this concert - so I reckon it was always destined to be released commercially rather than just aired on TV.

LD is a problematic format because although it was digital and non-friction, they hadn´t sorted out the compression - hence the huge double-sided 12" discs and missing The Coast. Incidentally Cecelia was missing from VHS but on the CD/LP/Cassette.

If we ever get a DVD, lets hope we get Cecelia, The Coast, both You Can Call Me Als and the Michael Brecker section - plus some extras like the interviews Paul gave and the commercials that ran on HBO, etc.

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread