Bottom

HeadlineMore personal life junk

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

Proof
Jan-09-2008, 00:29 GMT
IP:
USA - United Staates America

Hi gang. Sorry been away for a while. Hate to come back with a personal instead of music-related post, but oh well. This related to my life more than Mr. Simon´s, to be honest. Did Edie convert to Judiasm for Paul? Always touching when someone does that. Love trumps religion. Thnx.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 725 ]

Nikki
Jan-09-2008, 12:31 GMT
Australia

Well from what I´ve read/heard Paul isn´t terribly religious, is he? He seems very spiritual, but I don´t think he seriously associates himself with any particular religion, so I don´t see why Edie would feel the need to convert to judaism. Was Edie ever strongly Christian? I guess she is from Texas, but still...

Kuno
Jan-09-2008, 23:57 GMT
Switzerland

In my opinion Paul is to intelligent to be (very) religious.
Don´t want to offend anyone, but I still cannot believe that any reasonably intelligent person really believes that there is a god.

I think Pauls SNL-buddy George Carlin explains it the best:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

Watch this clip, it´s good for you... and it´s funny as hell !

Klausi
Jan-10-2008, 08:03 GMT
Germany

"How can you be a jew?"

Bob Dylan is a jewish too. His real name is Robert Zimmermann, clearly a German name.

Probably his ancestors came from Germany.

A singing jew from Germany is a problem...

Simon is from Hungary. Sadly this is the country were most jews were killed by Hitler. (In Germany "only" lived about 700.000 in 1933.)

So it`s good Simon`s grandfather disappeared early enough in the 20`s because of poverty as most emigrants!

"Only three generations off the boat".

And already a rich man. The American Dream became true here...

Scaaty
Jan-10-2008, 11:11 GMT
Ireland

Living in a country dominated by a Church that up until recently forced people to change their beliefs (esp with regards to children) in interfaith marriages - I find nothing "touching" about changing your religion because you Love someone. Faith is part of what a person is (Isn´t there a line from one of Pauls songs about that?).

Jeanette
Jan-12-2008, 03:17 GMT

Well said, Scaaty.

Ell
Jan-12-2008, 12:59 GMT
United Kingdom

I agree with Scaaty - and talking of Paul Simon songs - here is a link to Ken Bruce`s show where you can listen to a few complimentary words from Barbara Dickson on the amazing song Still Crazyâ?¦advance the 15 minute timer 9 times to 2hrs 15mins

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?htt
p://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio2_aod.shtml?radio
2/r2_bruce_tue

miriam
Jan-16-2008, 12:11 GMT
Germany

Uh oh, be careful there, Kuno...I don´t think you can say that only because someone believes in God, he is not intelligent...There are way too many things going on in this world that cannot be explained rationally...I do however agree that being too orthodox can be dangerous (look at those Al-Quaida people or any "hardcore Catholics") and a sign of a lack of the ability to make rational decisions, maybe that´s what you meant? Personally, I do believe in a higher entity, but I don´t feel the need to express it by going to church every Sunday or convince other people in my beliefs. Just my two cents :-)

mog
Jan-16-2008, 16:32 GMT
Canada

I thought that the whole point of How Can You Live in the NE was about the fact that we are all human beings, nothwitstanding religious, region, cultural differences, etc.

In one interview for Suprise, Simon aknowledged believing in a God, but said that he would not certainly kill somebody in the name of that God, as extremists do.

Personnaly, I found regretable that in 2008 religions are that strong on earth. I fully endorse Richard Dawkins´ point of view on the matter. His doc "Roots of all Evil" is a must-see.

And viva HCYLITNE !

Ell
Jan-16-2008, 19:01 GMT
United Kingdom

And God only knows,
And God makes his plan,
The information`s unavailable to the mortal man.

Paul Simon still performs this regularly -
I sure he sings about what he believes!

Except, perhaps `I Am A Rock`

Rosie
Jan-16-2008, 19:42 GMT
Ireland

I totally agree wth scatty

Klausi
Jan-17-2008, 08:18 GMT
Germany

Reviewed Simon`s work in short since 1963.

He sang two traditional religious songs on "Wednesday...", "Benedictus" and "Go, tell it on the mountain". He liked gospel music.

His own work is "free" from religion, if one accepts "Blessed" as not religious. His gospel songs "Loves Me Like A Rock" and "Gone at last" are also not typical.

In "My Little Town" : ironical "I grew up believing, God keeps his eye on us all ".

"Silent Eyes" is outstanding, great song, also mysterious.

"Slip Sliding Away" as mentioned above by Ell, but it is a pessimistic song.

"That`s why god made the movies"
"God bless the absentee".
"some people say Jesus is the Ace In The Hole...maybe some christmas he will look up my number, call me..."

"Spirit Voices" and "The Rhythm Of The Saints" capture the mystery of brazilian traditions.

In "Old" a clearer statement about the birth of Jesus, Buddha, Koran, Bible, but only "God made the mold". I think this is the key of his thinking. When there is a "higher" institution, then for the universe. And it does`nt release us from our own responsibility.

"The Teacher" is great like "Silent eyes".

"How can you..."

"Everything about it...": "think about God..."
"Wartime prayers"
"I don`t believe"
all not directly religious.

But it is interesting that the older he gets, the more God and religion are at least mentioned.

If he remains "not old", he should release more music.

mog
Jan-17-2008, 14:59 GMT
Canada

Humm...quite interesting an analysis.

Old is quite nice a song, but I think it went wrong when he sings that these are the greatest stories ever told. But anyway, Nobody knows that song...so !

Micky
Jan-23-2008, 03:01 GMT

Sorry not been around guys. Had a lot happen 8in my life and so not been on and it´s still all crap :-) Anywhoo noticed this post and felt the need.

Firstly, careful in poking the ´inteligent people don´t believe, finger. Firstly I am not christian nor jew but Pagan and I have my own beliefs, does that make me an idiot. I don´t think so, and I resent someone who thinks that.

With regards to Paul, I do believe he said he believed in God when he did his mini concert for ´Songs Of The Capeman´ on VH1, it was duting the Q&A moment.

jupira
Feb-06-2008, 17:31 GMT
Brazil

Hope things get better soon,Micky...Luck!

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread