Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineThe Heidi Berg story

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

AuthorComment

mog
Dec-30-2008, 07:32 GMT
Canada

I tried to upload that part of the BBC doc, without success.

Paul says also in it that he tried to recut Gumboots in RSA with the Boyoyo Boys for 2 days and nothing came out of these sessions. They were unable to do it right and could not play very well. "A waste".

I have no clue how it was finally cut. I can only see that it is on the album, and the Boyoyo are credited as musicans on the track. Maybe Ray Phiri has been behind the final product.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1553 ]

Bodo
Dec-30-2008, 11:22 GMT
Austria

Sorry, ... I will have to see how and when the uploads work again. This is not so easy with big files.
(and I think I only can allow uploads to a size of 20 MB )

mog
Dec-30-2008, 19:44 GMT
Canada

I reduced the part in a fragment of less than 20 Mo, but it failed. The site warns me about a file attack !!

Let us know when the excessive fan section is functionnal again. No rush !

If some people are interested, I can eventually upload the BBC doc series. There are 7 parts of 1 hour each (approx 55 Mo each).

io
Jan-14-2009, 00:30 GMT
Italy

Maybe asking to Bakhiti or Tony we can find something about the tape.. Is it possible to contact them through their site?

mog
Jan-14-2009, 01:29 GMT
Canada

Bodo: did you get some news from Gallo ?

Bodo
Jan-14-2009, 11:47 GMT
Austria

No sorry , no answer from them. And I wrote 4-5 different people there.

mog
Jan-28-2009, 15:12 GMT
Canada

By the way, did you guys know these two things:

"the Gaza Sisters" (who sing on I Know What I Know) refer actually to the wives of General M.D. Shirinda.

And the title I Know What I Know comes from the sound Simon thinks he was hearing when the Gaza Sisters were signing their back vocals on this song. Hear the track and you might hear that sound too.

You might have heard in 1986, but I just discovered it. LOL !!!

Forum guest
May-16-2011, 03:22 GMT
Unknown

I know the story. I worked for Lorne at the time. Heidi did NOT give Simon the tape as a gift. HE WAS PRODUCING HER. He had failed miserably with his last record and Lorne set him up with Heidi Berg. Paul Simon was working as the producer and mentor of her record. They were working together every week and had an unwritten deal. She lent him the tape as a reference for the sound she was going for. He is and has always been an opportunistic theif. she was young and naive. She spurned his sexual advances and so he felt he owed her nothing and stole the idea and ran to Africa.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1552 ]

Forum guest
May-16-2011, 06:18 GMT
USA - United Staates America

But, the question is, if the above is true, how has Lorne justified remaining friends with Paul,having him on SNL and showing up at (I think it was) the gershwin thing. I mean, if its all true, it does not speak too well for Lorne either...

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1552 ]

Proof
May-16-2011, 07:15 GMT

On Rhythm Of The Saints, "arranged by" really means "written by"

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1550 ]

Bodo
May-16-2011, 10:49 GMT
Austria

? What do you mean Proof?
Where on Rhythm Of The Saints?

Proof
May-16-2011, 20:24 GMT

The album credits say, for example, that Cool Cool River was written by Paul Simon and arranged by Vincent Nguini. Vincent wrote that music.

Joey
May-16-2011, 20:58 GMT
Canada

Proof (kind of an ironic name for this thread),

How is that different from, say, The Coast, which credits Nguini as a co-writer of the music?

Did you enjoy your time in the studio during the ROTS sessions?

Proof
May-16-2011, 21:24 GMT

I met Vincent and he told me this - so you can either belive him or not. (I hope he wouldn´t mind me posting this - I don´t want to get him in trouble with his boss).

If you study body language, notice Paul touch his nose/cover his face when he talks about Cool Cool River at the 4:55 mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5kNbAuUsNc

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1549 ]

Jay  
May-16-2011, 21:31 GMT

I thought that it was well known that many of the grooves on ROTS were taken from traditional music. The Coast for example is taken from "Cameroonian Makossa" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoHW38biGDQ

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1549 ]

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread