www.paul-simon.info 
The neck of my Guitar

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlinePoll: What internet connection do you have?

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

Bodo 
Jul-14-2003, 11:16 GMT
IP:
Unknown

Hi

I have a special question to the visitors of this site - how fast is your internet connection?

I want to know how many people are still using a modem (56k or lower) when visiting this site.

At the time I´m working on a redesign of this site, and if you load the first page it will need very long for modem (56k) users.
Mainly because I have a soundfile of about 160kb, and at the time I´m thinking about if I should delete this file, or maybe if i should make a preload page (where the pictures will be preloaded and you can choose if you want to hear sound)

So, who is using a slow modem connection?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 488 ]

Julie
Jul-14-2003, 15:28 GMT
IP:
Unknown

I think you should look to the future and design for faster modems regardless of what people have now.More and more people are getting faster modems so in a few years those with the slower modems will be the minority.

Bodo 
Jul-14-2003, 15:52 GMT
IP:
Unknown

I also think so.

The site´s look much better with some pictures and maybe a short sound.

But there are always some peorsons who get angry when they find a page with big pictures and which needs longer time for loading... I´Ve to compromise a little bit. And there are also still some Netscape 4 users :-( Hope they will not miss my site in the future because I´ll not support this browser. ;-)

If everything works fine I´ll start the new site in a few days. The most sub-pages have been changed (tours, bootlegs and translations) the last thing which is missing is the fan-database.

Julie
Jul-14-2003, 19:15 GMT
IP:
Unknown

Look forward to seeing it. Did any body volounteer to write the biography or time line?

Julie
Jul-14-2003, 19:15 GMT
IP:
Unknown

Look forward to seeing it. Did any body volounteer to write the biography or time line?

Bodo 
Jul-15-2003, 09:55 GMT
IP:
Unknown

for a timeline :-)

I think I´ll start with the site in the next 2 days and add the missing pages in the future. (the guestbook, articles and polls aren´t done until today..but that´s not a big miss I guess)

Julie
Jul-15-2003, 10:01 GMT
IP:
Unknown

How many words?

Bodo
Jul-15-2003, 12:34 GMT
IP:
Unknown

It just should include all important times(Tom and Jerry, S&g,70´s, OTP, reunion, Graceland, Capeman, YTO....there are )

If it´s a big biography(5 or more pages) there should be an additional timeline (1 or 1/2 page) for visitors who want read so much.

But it could also be only one biography with about 2 or 3 pages.

This is a good example for a longer biography(5 or more pages)
Spanish site bio

But there should be a timeline at this lenght or? (and pictures make the text ´lighter´ I think)

Bodo
Jul-15-2003, 14:17 GMT
IP:
Unknown

in writing a (short or longer) biography?

Nathgertsch
Jul-15-2003, 14:18 GMT
IP:
Unknown

I will ask Guido as he has already written many articles for the Italian site.

Julie
Jul-15-2003, 14:24 GMT
IP:
Unknown

If you could give me some idea of how many words rather than number of pages

Julie
Jul-15-2003, 14:29 GMT
IP:
Unknown

If you could give me some idea of how many words rather than number of pages

Bodo 
Jul-15-2003, 17:01 GMT
IP:
Unknown

I think there are around 1000 words on a site..wow, so 5 sites would be 5000 words

That sounds really a lot or? (I normaly don´t count anything in words so I don´t have an idea if this is really a lot)

But you don´t have to count them, it just should include every important thing, so it doesnt matter if these are 2000 words or 40.000 words IMO.
If it only has 500 words I would take it as a timeline, and if it has 40.000 words it´s an detailed-biography and I will name it that way.

[I think the bio on the spanish site for example has around 9000 words (up till capeman)] - just for comparison.

Think of it, maybe you also only want to write a timeline at about 1000 words or so, and another person wants to write a big biography, shouldn´t be any problem I think.

miriam
Jul-15-2003, 19:18 GMT
IP:
Unknown

Hey, I still have a 56 k modem, unfortunately :-(
I´m not really keen on a long loading time...

Julie
Jul-15-2003, 19:45 GMT
IP:
Unknown

No problem writing it but it would take me an eternity to type.

If I could write 40,000 words I´d be looking for a publisher !

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread