Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineSimon is deaf in left ear

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Michiel
May-22-2023, 21:46 GMT
South Africa

Paul Simon has revealed that sudden hearing loss in one of his ears has prevented him from touring again.

The singer-songwriter claimed that doctors had been unable to diagnose the cause of the near-total hearing loss in one ear and admitted that his health issue has made a return to the stage “extremely” unlikely.

Simon, 81, told The Times: “Quite suddenly I lost most of the hearing in my left ear, and nobody has an explanation for it.

“So, everything became more difficult. My reaction to that was frustration and annoyance; not quite anger yet, because I thought it would pass, it would repair itself.”

While his hearing is yet to improve, the performer said he’s not entirely disappointed to not be on the road again, admitting that he had grown tired of singing many of his famous tunes.

He continued: “The songs of mine that I don’t want to sing live, I don’t sing them. Sometimes there are songs that I like and then at a certain point in a tour, I’ll say, ‘’the f*** are you doing, Paul?’

“Quite often that would come during [1986 hit song] You Can Call Me Al. I’d think, what are you doing? You’re like a Paul Simon cover band. You should get off the road, go home.”

The hitmaker was catapulted into the spotlight in the 1960s as part of folk duo, Simon & Garfunkel, alongside Art Garfunkel.

The pair split up in 1970, but have reunited on several occasions, most recently at the New Orleans jazz festival in 2010. Although relations between the pair have since strained, Simon has not ruled out a reunion in the future, previously stating, “Why not, while we’re still alive?”

Following their inital split over 50 years ago, Simon enjoyed a successful solo career and has just released a new studio album, Seven Psalms, his first in five years.

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 646 ]

Bodo
May-22-2023, 22:40 GMT
USA - United Staates America

There is one complete wrong sentence in that article.

"Why not, while we are still alive?"

This is a quote by Art Garfunkel, he said it about 10 years ago..And it.can be found in several other articles and in that book:

Simon & Garfunkel : Diamond Anniversary
Harry Lime.

This is a very confusing text now.

https://books.google.at/books?id=WKiIDwAAQBAJ&
pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq=%22Why+not,+while+we%E
2%80%99re+still+alive?%22&source=bl&ots=UP
qYuWV3l2&sig=ACfU3U2hxz-vOBsnEvviTPPzQuhCm2G_Z
A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjvqbqk8In_AhUq
QfEDHcOTDRsQ6AF6BAgIEAI#v=onepage&q=%22Why%20n
ot%2C%20while%20we%E2%80%99re%20still%20alive%3F%2
2&f=false

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 639 ]

Brenda
May-23-2023, 08:51 GMT

Yes true Bodo that was a quote from Arthur. Paul has said he stays away from Art for safety safe. Don't think there is much hope of a reconciliation now . just read the link and not only did Art give that terrible Telegraph interview in 2015 ,he was also asked in 2018 did he have any regrets in his career the answer from him was he wished he had not agreed to take part in the 1993 Paramount shows . Great way to mend fences !!
Also why did he say he lost his voice a month after the Far East tour ended in 2009 when he performed three months later at the Hall of Fame Concert . Previously said he it was caused by choking on a lobsterin 2010.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 600 ]

mog
May-23-2023, 20:12 GMT

Something that I read this weekend that puzzled me was a quote from him saying that he does not miss New York at all.

I understand the idea of escaping the cold weather, but common! These are you roots Paul, and you will be ever identified with NYC.

Now he is leaving in Texas, and not missing New York?!

Now you are on a horse with cowboy boots Paul?

Sometimes he is difficult to follow.

The other day, in 2018, playing in Queens did not mean a thing for him, since he does not have any relatives or connection anymore (that he said).

How can he live in the South?
How can he lived in the Northeast?!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 561 ]

Brenda
May-24-2023, 03:12 GMT

Paul moved to CT to bring up his family in 2002 while still keeping his NYC apartment when visiting for work or attending events. The CT home was sold and he bought the home in Wimberley in 2021 and spends winters in Maui.He said he does not only want to escape the cold weather in NYC but prefers the peace and quiet of his home in TX because of his hearing problems.Very understandable . He still visits New York,he was on the Kay Rodd show last August watching the Yankees game and singing a couple of songs . He was also recording there in August and went backstage after a Milton Nascimento show on October. He caught Covid in September and had to cancel a TV appearance. Maybe another reason he prefers the isolation of his ranch . He will be co hosting the 50 th Birthday Rufus Wainwright birthday celebration in aid of the Montauk Lighthouse next month too . Nice for Edie to be back home to Texas too .

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 527 ]

Bodo
May-24-2023, 08:06 GMT

I would love to live in a country where it is easier to move around in climate zones. But for some reasons the US is not my dream (many poor, many guns, school violence, people living in political separation with only 2 possible opinions)

In the EU you are allowed free to move and live, but thats a very basic idea, because the language barrier makes it nearly impossible to go "everywhere". In many countries in the south nobody at an public office would speak english... registering your car in Greece, you might need help. Imagine paying your taxes in a foreign language with complete different laws..horrible.

So I would go with Paul. Its nice in Texas.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 512 ]

Brenda
May-24-2023, 09:12 GMT

Wimberley is in beautiful Central Texas Hill Country! Lucky Paul !

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 508 ]

Bodo
May-24-2023, 10:01 GMT

I think about going there next month...

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 502 ]

Megma
May-24-2023, 12:32 GMT

And I would add that he apparently still has his home in Montauk, NY.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 492 ]

mog
May-24-2023, 14:15 GMT

Yeah, he must miss the ocean. But he does whatever with his life of course.

About the ear issue, do anyone remebers that Garfunkel kind of blamed him for his throat issue? He said that PS used loud monitors on stage, and that had forced him to sing louder and louder.

PS is one of the rare artists that never got into the earpieces while performing. I personnaly liked that, but maybe it had indeed some side effects.

I am bit surprised that he seems surprised by his earing loss. 'No one has an explanation' he says. Well Paul, you spent your life on stage and you're 81...have you not noticed that it had happened to other musicians? You really need an explanation?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 481 ]

Scaaty
May-24-2023, 17:05 GMT

Brenda, you are such a store of interesting information- how’d you do it? Whenever I google Paul Simon google throws up such gems as Are Simon & Garfunkel still married , how much does PS earn? Etc etc

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 467 ]

Bodo
May-24-2023, 17:53 GMT

I wonder when that hear loss happened.
Because he brings it up that this kept him from going om tour again..?
He started to talk about doing a last tour in 2016...and was clear in 2018 this is it.

So did the hearing loss happened before 2018?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 461 ]

mog
May-24-2023, 18:22 GMT

No, it happened during the making of 'Seven Psalms'.

Well, his farewell tour was 2018 anyhow. Was I the only one that took that seriously?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 457 ]

brenda
May-25-2023, 10:36 GMT

Paul was never going to tour again. He only performed in Oakland SF ,The Outside Lands Festival and two Shows in Maui in 2019. Donated $1.1 million dollars to Enviromental Groups from the proceeds . He donated his fee from the 2022 Newport Fesival to VOCES8 Foundation . Yes Megma Paul still has his house in Montauk . Hu used to go there in August and will probably be there when he co hosts Rufus's 50 th Birthday. And I do remember Art saying he lost his voice and could not speak after the 2009 tour. amazing how he sang at the Hall of Fame a few months later . What happened to the choking on a lobster ! Would be a lovely place to visit Bodo . Paul bought Kevin Fowlers home .

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 393 ]

brenda
May-25-2023, 11:14 GMT

Also Paul said in the Today Show in 2018 that the music he listens to now is classic country and Willie's Roadhouse .( my music too ) . Another good reason to buy a home in Texas and of course not too far from his friend Willie !

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 388 ]

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread