Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineBilly Boy: Never Before Heard 70s Paul Simon Outtake

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Jay
May-08-2023, 02:16 GMT
South Africa

So this popped up on YouTube for the first time ever. Ive heard everything from Simon from Hello School Girl and Make a Wish to his collaborations with Dion most recently and I’ve never heard this. It’s called Billy Boy. Supposedly it was made around the time of TGRS

https://youtu.be/RUhruae-9JE

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1660 ]

Erwin
May-08-2023, 21:40 GMT
USA - United Staates America

I think you would be suprised how many songs there are still in the vaults recorded by Paul but are never released.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1602 ]

Jay
May-09-2023, 12:41 GMT

I remember back during the Blue Light tour they promoted an upcoming compilation of demos and alternate takes called Alternate Tunings. To this day it still hasn’t come out but suddenly tons of never before heard content is popping up on YouTube. Even some of the authentic S&G Think to Much tracks have shown up. Makes me wonder if they they’re finally going to release that and someone has an advance copy or something.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1566 ]

Bodo
May-09-2023, 14:49 GMT

Hi,
I do not think there are any songs in the vault. Zero.

I also would not call the Clip here from YouTube a song, its a jam session, unfinished, maybe working on an idea and then following other directions.

Paul is slow at writing, his way is not writing many songs and picking the best for a release. Its more like he has 7 songs after 18 months and wants to release those, but the rules say it has to be 10 songs for an album...

If they would have releasable stuff somewhere on the tapes they would have done that with the re-release of this collectors CDs a 15 years ago.

That does not mean there are endless hours of jam sessions on tapes with some bits of lyrics and bebopop laliela ...

For me the only thing thats left from the session above is the transition of the 2 words "Billy Boy" into "little boy"...

BTW When Prince died they said he has about 200 unreleased songs, but so far nothing interesting appeared on any album. Seems he wrote many many songs very fast, but knew when they are not worth beeing released.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1559 ]

Jay
May-10-2023, 02:23 GMT

I get ya Bodo but on the other hand Bob Dylan had some of his best songs kept in a vault for decades. I’m just sayin’ you never know what’s in there. If even one forgotten epic song was all there was it would be worth it to me. If they’re all just gibberish over a jams sesh I’m fine with that. I just wish they’d release Alternate Tunings already so we could see for ourselves.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1515 ]

Jay
May-10-2023, 02:55 GMT

Also we know for a fact more songs were recorded for In The Blue Light that weren’t released, including a brand new version of Sound of Silence. I’d say that alone would be worth listening to.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1511 ]

Jay
May-10-2023, 02:55 GMT

Also we know for a fact more songs were recorded for In The Blue Light that weren’t released, including a brand new version of Sound of Silence. I’d say that alone would be worth listening to.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1510 ]

mog
May-10-2023, 19:04 GMT

For SoS, I do not agree, Jay. It is perfect as it is. Do not touch it.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1457 ]

Brenda
May-11-2023, 03:02 GMT

Yes Big Boy / Billy Boy is Paul on the recording. It was listed by his archiver who posted on here in 2017. A link to download six songs described as" Alternate Tunings / Rare and Unreleased " was in the Final Tour booklet. There is also "Slow Man " in the lyrics book but has anyone ever heard it ? Then there were the songs Paul wrote for the animated movie "Spirit " in 1998 that they could not get a licensing agreement for . Paul has re recorded Sound of Silence the way he sings it now, for posterity he said Part of it was on the promo for Dark Mode What's App in 2020, the link was posted on his Official FB page. it is really beautiful .

[Like] 1 Jay Jay
[Reply] - [Readers: 1438 ]

Jay
May-11-2023, 13:25 GMT

I’d agree the original SoS is probably the best but I don’t see how having another version of it takes away from that at all. I love when songwriters rearrange their songs for new and/or live versions. It allows you to recapture the feeling of first hearing the song and throws new surprises your way. Since it’s not either-or I’d say it’s only a good thing if it gets released.

Also I never saw that ad with the version. I gotta track it down now. Thanks Brenda, you always know where to find the rare stuff.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1403 ]

Megma
May-11-2023, 14:12 GMT

Here is a link to the re-recorded SoS, it sounds really beautiful. I remember reading that Paul re-recorded Bridge at that time as well, and maybe even some other old songs. Let's hope that those, and "Alternate Tunes", get an official release sometime soon.

https://rodrigomoran.com/dark-mode

[Like] 1 Jay Jay
[Reply] - [Readers: 1391 ]

Jay
May-11-2023, 14:19 GMT

That’s awesome! Thanks for finding it. I was having trouble finding it on my own. Can’t wait! Also I guess this is as good a time as any to link the first interview Paul has done about Seven Psalms (aside from miracle and wonder). He compares the writing of it to the writing of SoS, BOTW and Graceland.

https://http://www.gramophone.co.uk/features/artic
le/paul-simon-my-music-the-analysis-is-unimportant
-if-the-song-is-beautiful-then-it-lasts

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1387 ]

Jay
May-11-2023, 16:26 GMT

I’m telling you guys. This is gonna be something really special. I’ll eat my words if I’m wrong but I really don’t think I will be. The way Paul is talking about it is unlike how he’s talked about his still good but not great releases (One Trick Pony and You’re the One) He’s direcrectly comparing this to Bridge Over Troubled Water, (the best song ever written in my opinion) which tells me all I need to know.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1366 ]

Brenda
May-12-2023, 09:08 GMT

so looking forward to hearing this piece of work . I think it will be unlike anything Paul has done before .

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1296 ]

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread