Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineAnother controversial topic

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

mog
Aug-06-2022, 18:53 GMT
South Africa

During my trip, I have been thinking about how much PS loved and explored black people culture and music through his career.

For me, it is a great achievement. The reggae thing with Mother and Child, all the stuff on TGRS with gospel groups, the brass bands from New Orleans...touring with the Jessie Dixon in the 1970's, the Gracelans stuff, etc., etc.

Have you guys realized that lots of this would be very unlikely nowadays with wokeism ?

Simon would be rapidly accused of cultural appropriation and enjoying white privilege. I know he got some of this stuff with Graceland, but I kind of feel that it remained in the margins at the time. Nowadays, this is mainstream stuff.

It is sad because his music opened so much for me in terms of possibilities and knowledge. And I am not alone.

I often think that he retired at the right time to avoid all that s*it.

Voilà.

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 537 ]

Ans
Aug-09-2022, 12:30 GMT
USA - United Staates America

I am not quite sure how to respond on this subject. I think Paul had no intentions to use the artists only for his own benefit. I remember interviews where he said how much he admired certain musicians and always wanted to work with them. I think he was and is interested in all kinds of music and believes in the freedom of choice which artists would like to work together and especially politics should stay out of it. It is indeed a great achievement and makes his music rich and special.

But I agree a lot has changed in the world in many ways. So much polarization going on, people accusing each other for everything and anything. No longer looking for the truth and how we could live with each other in a better world.

Thankfully there are still people who care for each other, I see it in my own environment every day. They don’t have the loudest voice but keep the society together.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 477 ]

mog
Aug-10-2022, 02:43 GMT

Good input, Ans.

I still think that if the music is contagious like the one found on Graceland, he would probably be able to 'manage it'; people would not care about what the activists say. But if it would not be good, then it would be very difficult.

Even The Capeman today, I do not know. The show was way before its time, but nowadays, who knows if he would be accused to be exploitive of a story that mainly concerns portoricain new yorkers.

Things are very sensitive today.

Still, we are kind of lucky that PS has not been canceled for whatever reasons.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 460 ]

Ans
Aug-10-2022, 14:22 GMT

Yes, we live in strange times. Accusations are easily made including false ones as Bob Dylan experienced lately.

Paul’s semi retirement is at the right time and we can be glad he had a long and successful career. And I hope we can expect his new music Seven Psalms later this year, also heard a rumor he is working at some new music too….?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 442 ]

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread