Bottom

HeadlineRoger Hawkins RIP 20.5.21

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Scaaty
May-21-2021, 18:47 GMT
South Africa

Drummer on Kodachrome
This becoming more common as our news items I’m afraid.
Here’s part of an interview with modern Drummer:-
MD: Paul Simon travelled to Muscle Shoals Sound and recorded two big hits with the Swampers: “Kodachrome” and “Loves Me Like a Rock.”

Roger: Paul came in and we were just in awe—awe! Because we’d heard all about the session players who spent days making an intro. [laughs] He sat down in a chair with his guitar and he said, “Fellas, I’m going to play you some songs. Just tell me which ones you like.” He played and we said, “Yeah! That ‘Kodachrome’ sounds pretty good.” He let us pick the songs!

MD: “Kodachrome” had an unusual feel for a pop hit.

Roger: I call it a loping feel. That was the drums, but that didn’t get the feel enough [sings a relaxed galloping repeated pattern of an 8th note coupled with two 16ths]. And I sure as hell couldn’t play it on the bass drum. So I got an old two-inch tape box, like the big reels used to come in. I put some newspaper in the box and played the pattern on it with hard vibes mallets. I listened back to it, though, and it wasn’t quite cutting through. So I kept changing the packing in the box until it came through well. [laughs] That’s where the loping feel comes from. I don’t know if that drum part would have sounded that good without it.

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 390 ]

Matthias
May-22-2021, 09:15 GMT
USA - United Staates America

Thank you for the information. Very sad news :-(
I think David Hood is now the only remaining member of the muscle Shoals Band.
And thank you for the interview, too!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 370 ]

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread