Bottom

HeadlineS/G reunion tour

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

Bodo
Jun-23-2003, 10:04 GMT
IP:
Unknown

never commercial in any way. (or he would sell us the same thing again and again, that´s commercial)

At least all his solo stuff is IMO much more sophisticated then a lot of the S&G stuff.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 603 ]

tomi
Jun-23-2003, 21:23 GMT
IP:
Unknown

Graceland is totally commercial stuff. The real Paul Simon is from his first solo album (Paul Simon)till Hearts And Bones. I think that songs like Dangling conversation, SOS, Iam a rock, American Tune, Peace Like A River etc. are much deeper and sophisticated than any songs from Graceland.

Bodo
Jun-24-2003, 10:17 GMT
IP:
Unknown

on what you understand about the word ´commercial´

Is commercial for you every good selling album, or
is commercial for you Britney Spears, Tatoo, Boyzone, Modern Talking,...

Graceland was never hyped anywhere and also didn´t have a number one single. It was a experiment for Paul goingt to South Africa and doing a funny thing for him.
Suddenly the people liked it and it was a million seller. (and THEN they began to make videos, but also for pure fun as you can see at the You Can Call Me Al video, Paul and Chevy..)
If it´s commercial then they could also make ROTS to a commercial hit, but suddenly, the people didn´t like this style anymore. The Capeman was much more commercial in any way, 100.000 of posters in NY, on busses and everywhere - and it flopped (the show and also the album)

Graceland was just the right music at the right time, 10 years earlier it would have been a flop, and I guess today also.

At the time in the mid 80´s Graceland was a new style of music, world music wasn´t very known (only Peter Gabriel also was making World music) so it couldn´t have been commercial, because no one knowed it before.

Releasing a S&G album TODAY, THAT would be EXTREMELY commercial!

Mark
Jun-24-2003, 15:38 GMT
IP:
Unknown

I don´t really believe that this shows are gonna happen. First of all because there were no comments from Paul yet. He wasn´t interested in doing any shows with Art in all these years after having bad fights with him doing the shows in 93. I think the Grammy Awards was an exeption. And by the way I believe that Art would be the only one having an adventage from that. Maybe it´s just rumours to sell his album and tickets better. Did anyone hear anything from Paul. The only thing I heard him saying was, that there were no such plans on Good Morning America.

Bodo
Jun-24-2003, 17:14 GMT
IP:
Unknown

I also didn´t hear anything from Paul.
Maybe the talked about after their 6 beer together or so...
However, at the time Art only said :"we have been discussing about doing something later this year.."

Do you remember David Letterman´s Top 10?
The Top 10 messages on Paul Simons answering machine:

10. "Hey, it´s Art. Wanna do an album?"

9. "Hello, Grammy winner, this is Metro Grammy Polishers calling with
a great introductory offer"

8. "Art again. Wanna do a tour?"

7. "Hey, check out eBay. Art´s selling his lifetime achievement award"

6. "Fred Durst here -- I think we´re all in agreeance that you were
great"

5. "I saw you on CBS with Garfunkel. Was that a repeat?"

4. "Hey, it´s your Old friend Darkness. Dude, give me a call"

3. "Hey, buddy, it´s Art. I think your answering machine is broken"

2. "This is announcer Alan Kalter -- sorry for introducting you as
Phil Simon"

1. "Hi, thought of a fifty-first way to leave your lover -- run over
him with a Mercedes"

David Letterman is a intelligent guy....

Mark 
Jun-24-2003, 17:57 GMT
IP:
Unknown

Didn´t know that one yet. :-))

miriam
Jun-24-2003, 19:44 GMT
IP:
Unknown

But why should Artie lie about this? I don´t think he would do that. Maybe he´s just very enthusiastic about the good news and that´s why we´ve heard it from him first, and not from Paul. As we know, Paul or his agents or whatever they´re called are a bit slow with spreading news. Yes, Paul said that there was nothing planned but nonetheless he was very pleased with his Grammy appearance with Art, and when asked about the Possibilities of touring again, he said "It could happen"...So now what? :-)

tomi
Jun-24-2003, 20:38 GMT
IP:
Unknown

When I sad commercial I think in a bad way. All songs from Graceland are easy for hearing. Thats why that album was such popular among the people who never before heard for PS. Even today many people know songs "Graceland", "Al", "Diamonds" etc. but they dont know who sings them. With ROTS is situation a little different. Paul didnt make compromise with people who dont like him so its more closer to his own style. Well it is my opinion, but I respect your and every others who arent so happy with reunion. But "Dangling conversation" is uncomparable with every solo work

Mark
Jun-24-2003, 20:50 GMT
IP:
Unknown

I don´t get the point. Was that about touring in general? Are you sure he ment touring with Art? Didn´t hear of him saying that, you know. I think the reason why Art is talking about that "so fast" if it´s true at all is, because he´s the only one who had a use of that. If he´s playing in front of 700 people how Bodo wrote, he maybe just wants bigger audiences again. It´s definitely the case that no matter whom he´s singing with, he will never be as successfull as with Paul.

Julie
Jun-24-2003, 20:54 GMT
IP:
Unknown

There has been no denial from official quarters about a forthcoming tour.(remember the rumour about Paul going deaf---we got told that wasn´t true pretty quickly...)

Mark
Jun-24-2003, 23:53 GMT
IP:
Unknown

You mean that if his manager didn´t say this shows are not gonna take place, it´s gonna happen? I guess they would be very busy denying rumours all the time, if that was the case. I think they don´t even see a reason for any statements yet. Obviously. Positive or negative.

Bodo
Jun-25-2003, 09:46 GMT
IP:
Unknown

it´s true that they are talking about something, maybe only Paul and Artie.
But I don´t think that anything is still planed, I guess they don´t know how this concert should be - a pure S&G show - a mixed show - double concert .... and at least I also think that they are talking about how they split up the money (There has been a discussion in February that Paul wouldn´t be happy with a 50/50 split...because he wrote all songs (and maybe plays also more solo songs)

So I guess anything could happen, if they are discussing too long and can´t find a resolution it could also be that Paul blocks anything and says no.

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread