Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineVideo: Fragile - Paul and Sting - VIENNA

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Bodo Malo
Apr-05-2015, 16:35 GMT
USA - United Staates America

Can you belive Paul did not play in Vienna for 35 years. You think the dislikes the city where his grand-grand-father once lived?

Video link:Video: Fragile - Paul and Sting - VIENNA

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] 1 Lara Lara
[Reply] - [Readers: 1530 ]

Brenda
Apr-05-2015, 23:11 GMT
Australia

No, I am sure he does not dislike the city Bodo ! Great he played it this time around !

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1520 ]

Bodo  
Apr-06-2015, 01:17 GMT

Well, it doesn't matter that much..of course he does not dislike the city (or anything ;-) ..but hey, 35 years...thats 2 careers of other musicians.

Some reviews from Vienna:
First one is moaning a lot about the security guys, it seems the visitors where not allowed to do anything. No dancing, no moving, no chatting...no fun please
http://kurier.at/kultur/musik/sting-und-paul-simon
-in-wien-aufwieglerische-rhythmen/122.829.695

Second reviews says the same, this time including the audience beeing boring too:
Fun was not appreciated
http://www.news.at/a/sting-paul-simon-wien-kritik
- The audience was asking other to sit down please, as their view is blocked.

Must admit: I am glad I was not there..Really glad.
Enjoyed the last shows in Dublin and London a lot.
Hope Paul will do some non-seated venues or festivals in the future again, or I will miss the chance to see him. Memories are good.

Last review is not serious, it is a "Schachinger" review
http://derstandard.at/2000013809706/Sting-und-Paul
-Simon-In-der-Rezeption-wurde-ein-Weckruf

This guy never writes anything positive about any musician, so the review - considering this fact - is surprising positive :-)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1513 ]

Klausi
Apr-06-2015, 12:07 GMT
Germany

Did not know that Paul`s Grand-grand-father lived in Vienna.

His grandfather was a Cantor (singer in a jewish church) in Hungary, from where he moved to the US in the late 20`s of last century.

The concert in Vienna 1980 must have been one of the most celebrated of that tour. Paul had to give more encores than elsewhere.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1502 ]

Klausi
Apr-06-2015, 18:29 GMT
Germany

Wikipedia says it was Hungary: Click Hungary Paul Simon at google.

He visited Hungary for Research in the Seventies I guess.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1494 ]

Mimi
Apr-06-2015, 19:42 GMT
Austria

I was there. They opened standing area tickets some weeks before the concert for € 44,- . Everyone was dancing there and we loved every minute of it.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1490 ]

Brenda
Apr-06-2015, 23:29 GMT
Australia

Thanks Mimi ! The videos from Vienna were great !

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1478 ]

Bodo
Apr-06-2015, 23:34 GMT

But Klausi, there speaks nothing against having two grandfathers :-) Anyway, by the time we are talking about (1900) it was Austrian-Hungary. I've read the tailor from vienna story somewhere else before, think on the earlier Sound of Simon website.

@Mimi - So where was that dancing area? The people from krone or other newspapers might have missed it. Did they change the floor plan later? (when I checked in fall I did not see any non-seated area)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1478 ]

Brenda
Apr-07-2015, 09:54 GMT
Australia

Seems to me like everyone was having a great time in Vienna !Very enthusiastic audience.

https://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxA4tJzn9es

vhttps://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODAbIDWBQE

[Like] 1 Lara Lara
[Reply] - [Readers: 1458 ]

Mimi
Apr-07-2015, 16:34 GMT
Austria

Bodo, the area was on the right side of the stage - up on the second floor. I checked the presale from time to time, but I didn´t want to pay over € 100,- and have to sit through the show. About 3 or 4 weeks before the show they offered standing area on the side of the stage and than I couldn´t resist anymore.

I also remember the grandfather story from an interview, but I have to search for it. I remember that Paul thought about what he would have been, if he had been born earlier and said he might have been a taylor. To his suprise he found out that his grandfather was a taylor in Vienna. But that must have been in the Monarchy times, so he easily could have been an hungarian citizen.

[Like] 1 Lara Lara
[Reply] - [Readers: 1443 ]

Bodo
Apr-08-2015, 01:42 GMT

Thanks for the info Mimi.
Well of course, for 44 Euros I also would have gone, no doubt.
Thats cheaper than all other PS concerts I visited...maybe Berlin in 2002 was around that price, very beautiful amphitheater there.

I do not like that they change the floor plan or price classes soon before the show. Of course, good for some, but thats just not fair. They seem to ask for the highest price, then some pay, some seats are not sold. Then they give the cheaper seats a free upgrade, sell the other seats for 25% of the price, add a standing area... in the end people paying 50 Euros sit next to people paying 250 Euros. Ticket roulette eh. :-) Even the ebay system of bidding for a good seat seems to be fairer..at least you know where you end up ;-)
Still like the idea of just waiting 3-4 hours in front of the gates to have a good place, standing of course is the only good place for me.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1425 ]

Ildikó Gombos
Apr-20-2015, 16:03 GMT
Hungary

Dear Fans!

I'm a little bit busy after the concert in Vienna,that's why I'm writing now. I was very very happy to see Paul in such a nice health condition and great mood on that night! Also I very enjoyed Stings's songs much: I've learned earlier all of his lyrics for the show,to sing together with him,not "just" with Paul:) Anyway,both them were Great and they were on the top,enjoyed to sing and play! I bought my ticket last year September to be in a very first row. /Well,I've been a bit fanatic of Paul more then 25 years so I weared my special PaperMadePapaPaul,that's why all of security men stared me from the very begining. / I asked a "symphatethic guy" about the possibility to get closer and he said yes,as the mood would let that.The truth is that I've never ever been such any kind of concert before,where people chatting,going to the buffet or yawning /!/ in the first row like in the Stadthalle,on that night!Many of them just shooted a pic for facebook and went away chatting...I was stanning and nervous and absolutely didn't understanded why they were there? The heating got wrong at home?! When the two talented and great Gentleman started the Boxer on stage I gathered all of my brave to get closer and I went to them to sing together and they smiling at me! The Yoga man and Simon,who looked like probably the cutiest wombat on earth!
Then a security man came and told me a realy polite way to go away and wait for. So,I've just looked around and see many boring people at the first row and I though there's no hope to get the fever for them... At last,the You can call me Al brought some really great fans closer at the last 25 minutes of the show,when we could refill the Singers with Love and Energie and we could enjoy our society! But it's absolutely worthy because of Yogaman and PaulWombat! I upload a short vid to youtube,but be aware,bacause I'm singing on it like a sailor,who searching for the emerald see. Last, I would like to say thanks for other fans around the world,who shared their pics and videos! God Bless You!

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 1370 ]

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread