Start a new Thread

Bottom

Headlinesongs not publish

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

Pelle  
Jun-07-2013, 09:20 GMT
Sweden

I wonder how many songs Paul have home on his desk not publish. There must be something.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 498 ]

Bodo
Jun-07-2013, 11:36 GMT
Austria

Hi Pelle

Definately zero (beside the songs he has written since the last album). He himself said that a few times when the remastered albums have been released with the bonus tracks. Actually those few bonus tracks are everything he ever wrote and did not publish (and even most of them are early-stages of other songs)

I think Paul is very focused when writting a song - and he does that for 1 complete album. It usually took/takes a long time... and from most albums I know he had problems to complete 9 or 10 songs to make the record company happy (I think he usually wanted to release the album when he had 6-7 songs...and in the last years he often stated that he dislikes the idea/pressure of writting 10 songs for an album). But I think most artists have the problem to write 10 good songs in a row, so also some B-songs appear on albums. If you look back, you definately can delete around 2 tracks from every album and it would in general rise the quality (for sure, today we would miss them..and as a fan you might find every song unbelievable good).

But definately, there will never be a release of "unpublished old songs by Paul Simon" somewhen in 15-20 years...

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 492 ]

Bodo
Jun-07-2013, 11:57 GMT
Austria

Let's play a game...ok it is not a nice game. But these are the tracks I sometimes do leave out, skip...or I definately would not copy onto a collection of best songs.

The game is, that you have to "erase" 2 songs from every real studio solo album (think Capeman does not count in that category).

PAUL SIMON:
Papa Hobo
Hobos Blues

There Goes Rhymin Simon:
St. Judy's Comet
Tenderness (I love that song...)

Still crazy:
Night Game
Silent Eyes

OTP:
How the Heart Approaches What It Yearns
Nobody

H&B:
Cars are Cars
Allergies

Graceland: (very very hard)
I know what I know (sometimes I skip it, the background ladies are to squeaky)
Homeless (I said it is hard, but which one else?)..must admit I love "all around the world"

ROTS:
The Rhythm of the Saints
Further to Fly

YTO:
Quiet
Look at that

Surprise:
I Don't Believe
Beautiful

So beautiful:
Amulet
The Afterlife (not really...but If I have to select 2)

I know this is not a nice game, but we all know our favourite songs already ;-) So these are some I sometimes skip.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 491 ]

SueR
Jun-07-2013, 12:53 GMT
Unknown

The only song I skip is 'Getting Ready for Christmas Day' - not that I don't like it, I just think it's strange to play that when it isn't Christmas Time.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 491 ]

Bodo
Jun-07-2013, 13:52 GMT
Austria

Interestingly that song grew a little bit on me. I did not like it. Now we have made peace.
I think it is at the wrong possition (track 1) on the CD...

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 488 ]

Pelle
Jun-07-2013, 19:16 GMT
Sweden

Papa hobo and how the heart approached is two of my all time favorite songs and Capeman record is one of my favorite albums.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 472 ]

Mimi
Jun-08-2013, 07:34 GMT
Austria

The only song that I always skip is "Cars are cars".

For the rest of the albums it is very hard, because I got so used to how the songs are sequenced. For me it´s more that there are times, when I don´t want to here some albums and at ohter times I really love them.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 461 ]

Scaaty
Jun-08-2013, 20:27 GMT
Ireland

I love quiet, further to fly, and like cars are cars - my profession demands that I like allergies! Sometimes (rarely!!) diamonds can be a bit harsh and repetitive. Different moods, events times of the day/week/year demand different songs and there is usually a Paul Simon song to fit - that is the genius of the man!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 433 ]

Bodo
Jun-10-2013, 12:16 GMT
Austria

Hm, maybe a misconcept of my original post....not everyone is foreced to write now that the songs on Bodos least-favourite list are his/her all-all-all time favourites ;-)

..the idea was that you tell me your least favourites ;-)
Or would you prefer to erase "Mother and child reunion" and keep Papa Hobo? :-)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 377 ]

Håkan
Jun-10-2013, 14:24 GMT
USA - United Staates America

Back to the original topic...
There are (at least) two unreleased Paul Simon songs that I can think of: "Cuba si, Nixon No" and "Groundhog".

I presume these two only exists in demo versions, and since Garfunkel refused to sing on "Cuba" I guess that is a Paul Simon solo demo?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 372 ]

Pelle
Jun-10-2013, 15:07 GMT
Sweden

I will have both mother and child and papa hobo on the album I like the songs on the diffrent way very much. quiet is not a favorite song of mine.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 370 ]

Carol
Jun-10-2013, 18:07 GMT

I love Papa Hobo and How the Heart Approaches too Pelle -- think Mother and Child Reunion is my favorite of his solo songs. I agree with Bodo -- don't like Night Game or Silent Eyes very much -- can't explain why. Don't own all the albums and can't remember everything on them so can't properly answer Bodo's original question. The first solo album was my favorite. Can't think of any songs I really dislike on latest album, although Getting Ready for Christmas Day is not my favorite.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 361 ]

Pelle
Jun-10-2013, 19:30 GMT
Sweden

It´s nice to see how diffrent taste we all have, whats one like another dislike. Getting Ready for Christmas Day is for me a brilliant popsong and nightgame also is a good song. Some folks roll from still crazy is to me one of his best songs. It dosen´t matter what another people think I like what I like (:

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 356 ]

Pelle
Jun-10-2013, 19:38 GMT
Sweden

It´s nice to see how diffrent taste we all have, whats one like another dislike. Getting Ready for Christmas Day is for me a brilliant popsong and nightgame also is a good song. Some folks roll from still crazy is to me one of his best songs. It dosen´t matter what another people think I like what I like (:

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 356 ]

anthony
Jun-11-2013, 16:26 GMT

I love Cars are Cars, I use it on a Youtube video and no one
knows who sings it. I don't like many of the Capeman songs,
but then in general I don't like Broadway musicals, especially
about a killer. Graceland has a few good songs, but I don't
like Diamonds. Of course I didn't buy the Graceland album,The
way that company treated me, kept my money for a long time and
then said they didn't have it at all.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 303 ]