Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineThe Vampires

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Melody  
Apr-12-2013, 01:22 GMT
USA - United Staates America

So, the song "The Vampires" seems pretty intense to me. Do you guys think Paul was mad when he wrote the lyrics to that song because for him to cuss that much in a song is really shocking to me. He´s such a gentle and loving spirit and to say all those things......Anyone know? Thanks!

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 493 ]

Han
Apr-12-2013, 07:56 GMT
Netherlands

The Vampires is one of my favourite songs. It's musically brilliant and yes, the lyrics are rude. I wasn't there at the time, but I guess it's just the language that was more or less common in the gangs. By using this kind of language Paul describes neatly the atmosphere. Loving and gentle lyrics just wouldn't fit.

[Like] 2 Brenda, Mel Brenda, Mel
[Reply] - [Readers: 487 ]

Jupira
Apr-12-2013, 20:37 GMT
Brazil

All the songs from "The Capeman" are a little different from the ordinary ones we know from Paul Simon - they were made in the way to fit to the story.
We cannot have gangs members whispering sweet things :-)
Not to mention even a very sweet guy as Paul has the right to said bad words, sometimes.Maybe it was his first good opportunity for!!!

[Like] 1 Mel Mel
[Reply] - [Readers: 465 ]

Bodo
Apr-15-2013, 08:49 GMT
Austria

Mel, well that song was written before you were born - the early 1990 have been hard times, not as much lucky as the 21th century...

I am joking of course. ;-)
In 1997 that album had a sticker on it -"Warning: This album contains inappropriate language which may not suitable for all audience"
A more sensitive time...today no one would care and I believe that sticker has been erased long time ago (or you just downloaded that song and never had the luck to hold that album in your hand).

Anyway - Jupira is right. This is a song about a NY street gang. You do not expect them to say things like:
When you're weary, feeling small,
When tears are in your eyes,
I will dry them all

[Like] 1 Mel Mel
[Reply] - [Readers: 419 ]

Scaaty  
Apr-16-2013, 19:46 GMT
Ireland

I will dry them off .... by making you swim with the fishes.

I challenge anyone interested in street gang culture - get the box set of "Love/Hate". As there is not a leprecaun in sight it is not used as a promotion by the Irish tourist board for the "Gathering".

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 391 ]

Jupira
Apr-16-2013, 20:25 GMT
Brazil

Sorry Scatty- could you please explain me this leprechaun /the"gathering"business somewhere ??

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 389 ]

Scaaty
Apr-16-2013, 21:42 GMT
Ireland

leprechaun -small little person in irish folk lore dressed in green likes his pint and is always looking for a crock of gold. 2013 is the year of the Gathering when anyone of Irish ancestry is encouraged to return to Ireland for hlidays. lots of events organised.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 386 ]

jupira
Apr-17-2013, 16:36 GMT
Brazil

I know what a leprechaun is - I do love irish folk specially those little magic fellas and songs.
I was just wondering what the Gathering was.
There's a CD ( or group, I cant remember)by name The gathering - irish music)
Thanks for info - I would return to Ireland for events if I could - even having no irish ancestors ( not that I know, but ...)
Please mail some gold for ;-)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 371 ]

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread